Walking or running when it's raining

emialyssa13
emialyssa13 Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
How do you motivate to go walking or runinng when it's raining ?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not a runner anymore, but when I was, I loved running in the rain unless it was also cold. Nothing like a good summer rain to cool you down.
  • emialyssa13
    yeah but our rain is cold... I wear glasses and can't run without.. so for me, i'm not motivate going... Even if it's for a wlak...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Use an umbrella on your walks? Don't let a little rain stop you. :)

• emialyssa13

I thought about that but I'm talking about motivation.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited August 2019

The motivation is that a little rain can't stop you from achieving your goal of getting out for a walk. It's a mindset thing. :)

I guess the difference is that I love going for my walks and don't see it as a punishment that I have to force myself to do, regardless of the weather. I live in Canada, and if I let a little bad weather stop me, I'd never get out!
  • emialyssa13

The motivation is that a little rain can't stop you from achieving your goal of getting out for a walk. It's a mindset thing. :)

I guess the difference is that I love going for my walks and don't see it as a punishment that I have to force myself to do, regardless of the weather. I live in Canada, and if I let a little bad weather stop me, I'd never get out!

I live In quebec ;)
    yeah you're probably right.
    i think it's because i thought of that as a punishment for my body to be fat :(
    hmm
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I'm in the UK, you kind of have to get over it....!

Get the right kit, a waterproof hat or cap can help keep it off the glasses, and waterproof trousers in the winter.

I'm running because I want to, not to punish myself.
    Besides, feel proper hard core after a run in the rain in the winter. It's invigorating.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member

get a treadmill?
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I love walking in the rain, I just wear a rain coat.
  • emialyssa13

get a treadmill?

... it cost an arm and a leg
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Unless it’s lightning out rain jacket and/ or umbrella. Running may be more difficult keeping the water off your glasses. I t seems colder than walking when it’s snowing. At least when it’s snowing you don’t get wet.
  • snickerscharlie
    I did get a treadmill a few years ago so I could continue my walks in the winter without breaking a leg. ;) I much prefer doing it outside, though, and will use the treadmill only if I have no other choice. I don't mind bundling up against the cold or the rain, but icy sidewalks are a deal breaker for me.
  • snickerscharlie

I live In quebec ;)
    yeah you're probably right.
    i think it's because i thought of that as a punishment for my body to be fat :(
    hmm

When I first started walking, I could barely make it around the block. What motivated me was how quickly I found I could extend my range without getting tired and out of breath. I never viewed it as a punishment. It was more of a get moving, old girl - let's see how far we can get today kind of thing.
  • laaloba
    laaloba Posts: 7 Member
    x76l2n858cxc.jpeg
  • laaloba
    My favorite triathlon trainings were swimming, biking and running in the pouring rain. It made me feel like a bad *kitten*.
  • laaloba
    I did not write “kitten” but that’s funny. 😂
  • laaloba
    I guess that word that rhymes with grass is not permitted on here. Oops.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member

I walk to get places.

My appointments are still on even if it is raining outside.
    My lectures are still held on days it's pouring.
    Work doesn't close up if there's a bit of drizzle.

So ... I walk.

Fortunately, I also enjoy walking and walking in the rain can actually be quite pleasant. :)
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I'm in the UK, you kind of have to get over it....!

Get the right kit, a waterproof hat or cap can help keep it off the glasses, and waterproof trousers in the winter.

I'm running because I want to, not to punish myself.
    Besides, feel proper hard core after a run in the rain in the winter. It's invigorating.

I'm in the UK. This is my approach as well. I don't mind a bit of water. Here is a photo from my London Loop walk, where around 2 miles near Heathrow was underwater:

:
    rrpp5a4gjcn0.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i like it when i run. it cools me off