vacation meals (cold)

Options
emialyssa13
emialyssa13 Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Tomorrow i'll go on Vacation.
Most of the time we'll be out of our Home.
Museum, parks, activities.
I don't have kids.

So what meals can we have if we dont use microwaves, oven or BBQ.
We can cook a day before the activity, but we havn't acces to a microwave etc during the activity. So something that can be eaten cold.
Also, i don't want to eat too much bread in a day. Breakfast will be composed of bread...

I already have

Chicken cesar Salad
Eggs Sandwich
Diablotins With Pasta Salad

It miss two meals and i don't know what to use...

Thank you !

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I went "up north" for a weekend, we knew we wouldn't have appliances. (We were staying in a motel, but there was no fridge in the room and we knew that in advance; we brought a cooler with ice packs, but that was good for 24 hours.) As I recall, I made a pasta salad with roasted vegetables in a balsamic vinaigrette. We got some muffins on our way out of town. I think we brought along a jar of peanut butter and some jelly. (This was pre-MFP). Otherwise, it was mostly making meals out of snacks like granola bars, fruit, cheese and crackers, etc. It was just for three days. The salad was a lifesaver.
  • emialyssa13
    Options
    Great.

But i'm not really the type of person that eat snacks...
    I eat 3 times a day without snaks. So what I ask is for some Meals.

We will be mostly of the time at my parents-in-law's house for beakfast and supper, but we'll be at max two hours and a half distance from their home to visit the entire region.

Hmm What is good for a Picnic ? Without bread... ? ARRRgh I hate myself ..
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'd say hearty salads that don't need refrigeration, then. So shy away from eggs (including mayo) if it's hot out, dairy, etc. Lettuce will probably wilt once you add dressing, but maybe keep it separate and add at the last minute. Most vegetables will keep for a few hours. Cut fruit should be tossed with some citrus juice to keep it from going brown. Pasta, rice, corn are all good bases.

Also, check this out: https://www.insider.com/foods-you-can-leave-out-overnight-2018-12#some-raw-uncut-vegetables-can-be-stored-on-your-counter-instead-of-the-fridge-7 (Not sure about temperatures higher than room temp, mind.)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What's a dioblotin?
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If I understand you properly, you will be on vacation soon. You will be staying at home, but venturing out during the day for activities, and returning home at night. Assuming this is correct and assuming you are fishing for "healthier" (less calorie dense) foods...

Anything you can meal prep and put in a cooler with ice for a day will work great.
    -salad fixings; bagged lettuce, diced veggies, pre-cooked chicken, ham, hard boiled eggs, dressing, etc.
    -pre-made sandwiches; if you are worried about too much bread make ham and cheese roll ups or something. Or lettuce wraps.
    -fruit; apples, oranges, bananas
    -other non-greens based salads; pasta salad, potato salad, chicken salad, egg salad, pea salad, corn salad, etc.
    -veggies such as carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, celery, sliced bell pepper or whatever you like. Dip for said veggies such as hummus, yogurt dip, salsa
    -cheese or cheese sticks

Higher calorie options if you have the room (typical road food fare that needs no refridgeration):
    -chips
    -crackers
    -tortilla chips and refried beans
    -cookies
    -muffins
    -summer sausage
    -peanut butter
    -trail mix

Edit: Just saw your reply about traveling back and forth to the in-laws house. You could still open up your options if you have room for a 5-day cooler. You could store pre-made cold foods in it and it would keep your food safe for a few days. They make them in smaller sizes too. You could then top off your ice as you go back and forth to your "home base". Just make sure you put stuff in tupperware or zip lock baggies to avoid anything getting soggy from ice melting.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Make up salad with cous cous, bulghar wheat or quinoa. Roast veg to mix in, along with toasted seeds, grated carrot whatever you fancy.
    Add hard boiled eggs, cold roast chicken, falafel, slices of quiche, Spanish omelette.
    Potato salad, cold meats, smoked salmon.
    Oatcakes with hummus and cherry tomatoes.

I like making a spread with little bento boxes.

All of these are fine in my thermal lunch bag with a frozen block for the day.

Will it be really hot? If not soup or stew in a thermal flask.
  • emialyssa13
    edited August 2019
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    What's a dioblotin?

I said it in french cause i don'k know the English word for this meal.
    Basically it's an egg boiled, cut in half on the long side. Save the Yolk .
    Mix it with Mayonnaise, herbs and what you wish, and then put it back on the white egg with paprika on the top

And Crafty_camp Thank you ! you gave me an excellent meal. The lettuce Wrap. I Never thought of that ! I'll try it !
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I can get pretty creative with salads. Heartier leaves travel better, particularly kale and cabbage. Add some dried fruits, seeds and have an avocado to shred in for the fats and olives for their vinegar, a can of tuna would be safe to add warm.

This weekend we are having one meal with hummus, tapenade and veggies and a kale salad with smoked salmon.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Tuna, salmon, and smoked trout are all shelf stable and good eaten at room temp. I am pretty content mixing my tuna with olive oil and mustard but some people really have to have the mayo.

Soups, stews, chili, and anything with enough sauce to be slightly soupy can be kept warm for hours in a thermos. Spaghetti with a bolognese sauce would make for a hearty meal.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What's a dioblotin?

Mix it with Mayonnaise, herbs and what you wish, and then put it back on the white egg with paprika on the top

And Crafty_camp Thank you ! you gave me an excellent meal. The lettuce Wrap. I Never thought of that ! I'll try it !

They are called deviled eggs which is funny because they are super popular at church socials. There is a reason for the name but I forget what it is now.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What's a dioblotin?

They are called deviled eggs which is funny because they are super popular at church socials. There is a reason for the name but I forget what it is now.

It had to do with the preparation or seasioning process(don't remember which). It was called "deviling.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,663 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you want picnic foods.

Tabouleh, lentil and roast vegetable salads, watermelon + feta + mint. Have some lean cold cuts such as chicken or turkey breast or smoked salmon with ryvita crackers.
  • emialyssa13
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Tuna, salmon, and smoked trout are all shelf stable and good eaten at room temp. I am pretty content mixing my tuna with olive oil and mustard but some people really have to have the mayo.

Soups, stews, chili, and anything with enough sauce to be slightly soupy can be kept warm for hours in a thermos. Spaghetti with a bolognese sauce would make for a hearty meal.

allergie to fish and seafood :|
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    If it's bread you need to avoid, and not wheat, gluten, or carbs, tortilla wraps would be a good option too. Either as pinwheels, or as a vessel for sandwich stuff.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options

I made a bunch of fafalel- it’s basically chickpeas- dipped in whatever sauces you like. I usually do fafalel with a side of salad. I was gonna suggest salmon cakes but your allergic.
    jgtjhjqy4vmo.jpeg
    yfxpqrmh9wyv.jpeg
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    My first thought was a cold pasta salad. Maybe soba noodles so you can make an Asian inspired version? You could throw in a ton of veggies.