Instructors music selection for spin class

Options
Obviously up tempo is needed (imo). Might be my age, 52, but 95% is music I've never heard of, current stuff it seems. The techno is ok...rap, well...., country, not a rednecker :smile:

The instructor makes it easy to want to really push yourself, but I find the music "really" hinders me sometimes. I stick it out only because I really enjoy it overall.

My question being..for others that do spin classes, am I the lone one when it comes to this?

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Are there other instructors that teach at different times that you could try?

I tried one class and the I didn't like the instructor's music choices, and didn't find her motivating at all. She seems like a nice person, but I won't go to her classes any more. I've since tried a couple other classes with 2 different instructors and I love them both. Great music (for my tastes) and both are very fun and encouraging.

You could see if they're open to song requests, but trying a different class might be the better solution.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did not know most of music, the 3 instructors were great I thought. I only cancelled spin class being they no longer included 1hr class with $47 membership.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Spin music makes or breaks a class.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I did a couple of spin classes. The music was horrible in my old-fogey opinion and some of it was downright offensive. That’s what’s popular nowadays 🤪
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Country music for a spin class session :| even if it’s a mix :|
    My go to music is rap music but for working out I need something up beat, the most I can do is trap music/ mumble rap but 90s euro dance/ techno music is a must, need something fast.

• phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Huge Grin....Was depressed, No Barbra Striesand and Barry Manilow...Joking
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I've had a bunch of different instructors (over around 10 years of going to classes) with a bunch of different music. I have eclectic tastes (at least at the level of what I can deal with in small doses). I'm sure the fact that it's a Y saves me from some obscene/offensive stuff (the Y likes it pretty clean). There's been hip-hop, country, oldies, all forms of rock, rap, recorded-for-spin tracks (my least favorite typically, because the musical quality is poor), a little bit of some things like big band or polka, and I don't recall what-all else. (None of the above are the type of music I listen to most often on my own, BTW.)

But I go for the workout, not the music, so frankly none of it has bothered me.

Some of my fellow students will drop or pick up a class based on the instructor's teaching style. So far, I haven't had anyone who was objectionable to the point of dropping a class, though obviously I like some more than others. The guy that raced to the bathroom and vomited mid-class once was kind of odd (not sure if it was hangover, flu, or migraine). He also liked to do segments pedaling backwards, which was unique.

I think this is all just another example of the extent to which I'm a peasant by nature: I sometimes joke that if I were a character in "The Princess and the Pea", I'd be the servant assigned to sleep in the gravel outside the princess's door in case she needs something in the night. I have a wide range of stuff I can tolerate, and usually even enjoy.

As long as I get a workout - which is mostly up to me, not the instructor - I'm OK. So far, at least. ;)
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My one spin teacher plays Taylor Swift, Madonna, Cher, mostly dance type music. My other spin teacher is all hip hop. I really go because the teachers are motivating so I try to ignore the music. Some people wear earplugs because of the volume but maybe they don’t like the music!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Back when I did spinning, my favorite teacher was Wednesday night. She had slips of paper and encouraged the regulars to write down up to 3 favorite songs and she made a few mix tapes including one from each of our lists. It was a wide range of genres and everyone loved it. She always mixed it up which I enjoyed.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    A good spin instructor will be willing to accept requests. They may not be able to make a whole play list for you, but they could sneak a song or two in for you. Can't hurt to ask!!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    The thing that was most important to me in spin classes was did the ride match the music. Was told later on that's considered Rhythm Spinning. In my opinion, the speed of the hill or standing run or whatever should match the beat of the music. There was one instructor that tought a basic class that was very popular because of his music mix. But the entire class he would do runs or hills that had nothing to do with the speed of the music. Personally, I found that way more annoying than the music choice.

Agree, though, with the two above that a good Spinning instructor will solicit feedback and ask your favorite songs and try to be inclusive. One guy just played techno and head banger stuff and that got really old. But he was always a "look at me" type instructor, very much a narcicist, so that made sense. When the classes become more about the instructor than the gym members, I nice word with management doesn't hurt just to let them know your feelings -- not rude or insulting, just honest.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    A good spin instructor will be willing to accept requests. They may not be able to make a whole play list for you, but they could sneak a song or two in for you. Can't hurt to ask!!

Good point. A couple of mine have been willing to accept whole playlists from students (though they often would tweak a song choice or two for reasons of workout programming).
    The thing that was most important to me in spin classes was did the ride match the music. Was told later on that's considered Rhythm Spinning. In my opinion, the speed of the hill or standing run or whatever should match the beat of the music. There was one instructor that tought a basic class that was very popular because of his music mix. But the entire class he would do runs or hills that had nothing to do with the speed of the music. Personally, I found that way more annoying than the music choice.

Agree, though, with the two above that a good Spinning instructor will solicit feedback and ask your favorite songs and try to be inclusive. One guy just played techno and head banger stuff and that got really old. But he was always a "look at me" type instructor, very much a narcicist, so that made sense. When the classes become more about the instructor than the gym members, I nice word with management doesn't hurt just to let them know your feelings -- not rude or insulting, just honest.

Now that you mention it: While I'm overall willing to accept some intervals in songs that don't match the beat (like a cadence pickup on the chorus or something), one of the things I struggle with is cases where (say) the base cadence is 100, but the song is at 95: Close, but not exact. I can easily pedal at a cadence quite far off from the beat, but not at one that's kind of close but not quite. ;) Personal deficiency!

(I wish I could say that this tendency to want to go with the beat makes me a better aspiring banjo player . . . but it definitely doesn't. :lol: )
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    My gym participants with national program called "RIDE & R-30". The program and instructors are very good and always coming out with new songs.