This is going to be HARD!

Options
Hi, my name is Jenny (well, it's actually Giovanna, but no one can pronounce it, so I use my nickname). For the last 11 months, I have had problems with my stomach, basically dealing with "morning sickness", dealing with it at least once, usually twice every day. (unfortunately, without the baby) I found out that I have a Hiatal Hernia which is causing me to be so sick (part of my stomach goes through the hole of my diaphragm). So, I need surgery. Problem is, I have a BMI of over 45, and I was told that if I have the surgery NOW, it will come back. So, the surgeon wants me to do the Gastric Sleeve surgery, which is basically cutting and removing 2/3 of my stomach, making it look like a "sleeve". Doing this will make it so I cannot have another Hernia. To do this, however, I need to be on a strict diet for the next YEAR (yes, I have to deal with this for another year) before my insurance will pay for the surgery. (Which SUCKS!) Anyway, today is day 1 and I am already having trouble. I hate the taste of water. I have even tried the flavored waters but they leave a nasty taste in my mouth afterwards. I really hate the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners. I really am going to try, but it's just so hard to change my eating habits. I have major back problems, so I have a hard time doing exercise. Which, is another thing I HAVE to do. Every month when I go in for my visits, They are going to print out my diet journal for the insurance company. I won't lie on them, but it's only day 1 and I am having such a hard time with this. Sorry my introduction is so lengthy, I just wanted to put it all out there and maybe meet some nice people so we can help each other out. Thanks for reading, and I hope to meet you all soon.

Replies

• J_Fabulous
    J_Fabulous Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have had the sleeve surgery. I had very good results but there are things I would have done differently knowing what I know now. If you would like any advice or insight into the surgery come feel free to reach out to me.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    3 things;
    - Stop worrying that far into the future. Many have started where you are now. I did (no WLS surgery, but certainly had to take it one day/hour/minute at a time).
    - A year is great. You can make kickass, powerful strides in a years time, it’s totally up to you. I know it must be difficult to even think about without the physical issues/pain/sickness you’re feeling now, but this is obviously something you want, or you wouldn’t be trying. That’s the biggest step. That’s ALWAYS the biggest step. Every day you just keep trying. That’s what wins the race, not one successful day.
    - Water is going to be your best friend. You can definitely do this.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,732 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :)

Try to remember that you didn't gain all the weight in one year, so it can take time to lose. You don't need to change everything at once. If you can, stop telling yourself this is hard. Tell yourself this is a challenge and a process, and you're going to tackle it one day at a time and that you CAN do it. :flowerforyou:

I suggest you start with small changes so it's less overwhelming. For example:
    • Drink more water than you have in the past. You don't need to cut out all other beverages you like, just reduce them and drink more water. That's an "easy" calorie swap to make. You might find you like carbonated/sparkling water more than plain/still water, at least I do.
    • Don't cut out whole groups of foods or all sugars right at the start. Unless there's a medical reason to remove something from your diet, feel free to keep it but eat a smaller portion so it fits within your goals. If you're not diabetic, you don't have to swap artificial sweeteners for sugar if you hate them. However it can be another easy way to reduce calories. I use artificial sweetener in my coffee now, because when I did the math - 2 tsp (10 grams) of sugar per cup x 3 cups a day was adding an extra 120 calories per day that I simply don't need.
    • Move a little bit more. You don't need to train for a marathon. Start with walking 5 or 10 minutes a day, and stick with it. Leslie Sansone on YouTube has some easy videos for doing walking in your house if you don't want to go out.
    • Set a short-term goal, even a small one. Maybe start with a goal of losing 4 pounds in August. That's one pound per week, which is usually a reasonable amount when a person is at a high BMI. I know, it sounds small but every little bit helps and encourages you to keep going. Input your age, height, weight, etc. into MFP, set your goal for one pound per week, and then eat the calories it suggests. Log everything you eat and drink faithfully and see how you feel and how you progress for the first month.

The key to long-term success is doing something that you can sustain and that you don't hate. This is why I recommend you start with small changes. :)

Since you're just starting out, take a look at this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

It's a list of the "most helpful" threads, as recommended by members of the community.

Best of luck to you. :)
  • chefbender5310
    chefbender5310 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One day at a time...

water...I totally understand that some water tastes bad...in Florida I would not even consider drinking tap water..in NY our well water tastes wonderful...so if your tap water tastes terrible try buying gallon jugs of water just for drinking...

movement..if you have a smart phone which tracks your steps that is a wonderful way to see what you are doing and to set a goal for each day..I paired the app accupedo with MFP and that has been very helpful for keeping track of my progress to increase the number of steps. If I am sitting at the table playing a game on my iPad..I stop after a round and get up and walk around my kitchen and into the living room and back again...the key is to move more...you can do the same thing with watching TV..when a commercial comes on get up and go move around the room,

wishing you lots of luck in your journey!
  • williammoyawm
    williammoyawm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenny, I still have a long way to go. But I'm down to 238 from 305 in January. This is what has helped me.
    1. Learn portion sizes.
    2. Plan every meal.
    3. Don't quit. You're going to have bad days.
    4. Zig zag your calories. Lower your calories a little during the week to have more on the weekend.
    5. Don't quit. You will get use to the diet and you won't get as hungry the longer you are on it.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    re: water.

Get a Brita filter pitcher thing to keep in your fridge. You don't have to like it, you just have to "down" it. If it's filtered, at least it won't taste like anything at all.

Non-sugar sweeteners are an acquired taste.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    re: water.

Get a Brita filter pitcher thing to keep in your fridge. You don't have to like it, you just have to "down" it. If it's filtered, at least it won't taste like anything at all.

Non-sugar sweeteners are an acquired taste.

This^

I love my Brita and cold water is wonderful.

Re: non-sugar sweeteners. They are an acquired taste but not much of one. I'm old, so my first artificial sweetener was saccharine (blech!). You don't know how lucky you are.

Start by drinking a diet version of soda that's not your usual one. Stop telling yourself this is hard. My diet soda of choice is A&W rootbeer, but most diet sodas are okay now.

For exercise, start slow. You can do 5 minutes at a time and work your way up.

You might try: Just Walk (formerly Walk Away the Pounds) they are low impact and easy to modify. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Re: non-sugar sweeteners. They are an acquired taste but not much of one. I'm old, so my first artificial sweetener was saccharine (blech!). You don't know how lucky you are.

Start by drinking a diet version of soda that's not your usual one. Stop telling yourself this is hard. My diet soda of choice is A&W rootbeer, but most diet sodas are okay now.

Haha, agreed! I remember Tab and Pepsi Light (with the lemon to cover up the saccharine) ;)

Diet sodas are a zillion times better than they used to be. I like sugar-free Kool-Aid type packets that go in water too.
  • gfurbush1982
    gfurbush1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all for your wonderful & insightful comments. I will try to NOT believe this is going to be hard. Plus, I will take into account all your suggestions. Thank you so very much! Have a great day!