Intolerances and tracking them

Options
I am looking for an app or a website to track what I'm eating and products to avoid, due to the lack of weight loss and a few health issues I had my GP do an intolerance test and it's come back that I'm intolerant to chicken meat, wheat, hops, carrots and strangely cress. I went shopping yesterday but didn't have a clue on what to buy without having to study the ingredients on everything I picked up!! I gave up after an hour and I had only reached the 2nd aisle. 😣 Help

Replies

• gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    When you avoid foods, you'll have to read the ingredients. That said, you don't have to do it so often. I've done a lot of that kind of thing trying to tackle IBS. My only suggestion is create a meal that sounds good, figure out what you need for it. Buy just those ingredients, double checking the labels of anything manufactured. Then create another meal. Expand steadily instead of trying to do everything at once.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    What sort of food do you usually eat for each meal? Then people can suggest substitutions or other ideas that might appeal.

You're probably best off ignoring the aisles for baked goods and sauces.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of simple meals, whole foods prepared simply.

I think I could easily avoid your list of food, but then I don't buy a lot of prepared things other than one-ingredient stuff like milk, cheese, deli meat, or canned peaches. I would shed a little tear for wheat, but to be honest I feel better when I limit it anyway.

Lots of corn, rice, quinoa, potatoes, oatmeal. It's totally possible, just an adjustment.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    If you don't usually cook from scratch, frozen vegetables are good to keep in stock. Usually they have no additives, they're easy to cook as the prep is all done, and they're diet friendly. And a decent spice rack helps. With those things to hand, and maybe a little fresh meat, you're never more than a few minutes from a soup, a stir-fry, a roast dinner, etc.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Rather than looking up and down each grocery aisle, try reviewing product labels with an on-line grocery store app. Walmart has a great one and you can select and fine-tune your needs as you read labels from your computer.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy. I react to casein -milk products. Almonds, I love marzipan on my cakes! Soy, and navy beans, took me ages to discover they are those used in baked beans! When you add salicylate intolerance - many plants, fruits and veg use this to protect themselves from moulds and mildews and it crosses over into paraben which can be used as preservative which does not have to be itemised on the ingredients list. I almost forgot, paraben gets added to laundry/cleaning products, perfumes and cosmetics/personal hygiene items! My other thing is histamine intolerance. Its like hay fever ish but when foods have been prepared for a while they give off histamine, meats hung for longer also is high in histamine. I'm sorry following your hop connection and realise you may have stunted "lads nights out", most beers use hops. Intolerances really cross things out of one's live.

I will be shot down with piles of woo's for this. I've made great progress by improving my digestive biome. I lived on rounds and rounds of antibiotics which deplete the species one should naturally have and benefit the strains which like sugar. There are some products which do not encourage Histamine growth it may be useful to do an on line search when i started there was only one product now there are several.

Dealing with your glutein issues. Avoiding Wheat can be an eye opener. There are many glutein free products available these days. Even take notice of the words, produced in a factory where wheat and other things are used. Depending on how reactive you are it can take several weeks if not months to achieve true relief from this one. For those who are really reactive it can take a year or there abouts and any slip will set them back in their conditon. I hope you will feel real benefits very soon, but still expect a month. Oats should be gluten free but if they are rolled in a building with wheat the can be contaminated.

I suggest you look to the foods/meals you prefer to use and go through those ingredients with a fine tooth come.

I'm not sure if you would benefit from digestive enzymes. These are available in healthfood stores. They can come in single or multipul enzyme groupings to cover anything from eggs to dairy to other food groups like proteins and things. I have some to help digest the salicylate, they were designed for autistic children requested by parents who feared their children loosing out on vitamins.

I promise you, it may feel like the end of the world at the moment, it will not be. You will become accustomed to the foods you are able to use, it will be second nature. The best part is you will feel more comfortable in yourself the excess weight will respond to your consideration of your bodies needs.

Take care. Know you are not alone, there are an increasing number of us with dietary issues. The one thing we can be sure of, at least we know the cause of your issues others are yet to discover theirs. I'm saddened it can be so difficult to discover what is going on.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, with several intolerances and a couple that are not considered common enough to be noted as allergens on food labels (at least in the U.S.), you're going to have to read ingredient lists to be. If you can cook from scratch from one-item ingredients (like fresh or frozen, unsauced produce, whole grains other than wheat, eggs and other animal proteins that you don't have intolerances for -- I'm not sure if there's a missing comma between chicken and meat, so I don't know if you can have beef, pork, lamb) that will help. When picking processed foods, you can look for ones with fewer ingredients to save you time in reading the labels.