Poaching Eggs - help!

Options
keiraev
keiraev Posts: 695 Member
Not really a recipe but a technique...I LOVE poached eggs but am utterly useless and they always look like God knows what when they come out of the pan!

Anyone here a poaching genius who cares to share their secret??

Replies

• kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    You need a coodeler it is a little pot you lut the egv in and then put it all in the water
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    To poach mine....I have a small pot/saucepan of water, just on the boil. Break the egg/eggs into a saucer or larger dish if necessary. Give the water a good swirl with a spoon to create a mini whirlpool then gently slip the eggs in the water. The spinning water helps keep the whites reasonably intact. A lot depends on how fresh the eggs are to. The fresher the egg the more the white will stay intact. Enjoy.....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Use a poaching pan - much easier than the whizz in the water method....
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave egg poacher!! Cheating I know but I love them & i'd never manage in a pan!! :-)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I don't have much luck so I cheat with an egg poacher (more like steamed egg to be honest) Still very nice

http://stownend.com/Images/Egg Poacher.JPG

but I found this article..... http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/sep/16/how-make-perfect-poached-egg
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    To poach mine....I have a small pot/saucepan of water, just on the boil. Break the egg/eggs into a saucer or larger dish if necessary. Give the water a good swirl with a spoon to create a mini whirlpool then gently slip the eggs in the water. The spinning water helps keep the whites reasonably intact. A lot depends on how fresh the eggs are to. The fresher the egg the more the white will stay intact. Enjoy.....

that's how I do it too. it's all about the tornado spin. :smile:
  • meerkat70
    Options
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_poached_eggs/

Here's two simple ways - with or without a poaching pan.

(No to microwave ones. Rubbery nasty! :-D )
  • keiraev
    Options
    Right- well that explains why just chucking them into a pan of water hasn't been working tho- thank u!:flowerforyou:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've never done this, but here's a video that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtZ14xEbgzg
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I do it the delia way. Frying pan with 1 cm or a little deeper simmering water. Break in egg then baste as you would a fried egg. :)
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I use these cute little non-stick boats that float in the boiling water and I crack eggs into them - I used to poach into swirling boiling water but it was a pain drying the eggs off, and sometimes damp paper towel would stick, etc. I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets :P

egg-poach-pod-e1276037862783.jpg

aren't they cute!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I do it the delia way. Frying pan with 1 cm or a little deeper simmering water. Break in egg then baste as you would a fried egg. :)

That sounds good. Does it need to be a non-stick pan?
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    No as they shouldn't be a prob. However I tend to use non stick so can't promise!
  • sara46ward
    sara46ward Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've used my grandmother's poaching set all my life. It has 4 sort of triangular pans held up above boiling water. This is probably 100 years old now......so it is not high tech. I guess it is more like steaming, but it works everytime and you can cook the eggs from near raw to hard throughout. I light the egg whites done and the yolk soft.
  • sara46ward
    sara46ward Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    These little green poaching containers are the cutist things I've ever seen. They're such a good idea. Where did you buy them?
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i second the floating silicon 'boats' they're really cheap & makes poaching so easy :)
  • catsinpajamas
    Options
    it is all about the tornado spin! You can also up your chances by throwing a splash of plain white vinegar in the pan too. It helps the proteins seize up and hold together.
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I make mine the simple way. Boil a kettle of water then pour it into a large microwaveable bowl. Crack the eggs in and micro for 2-3 mins.
  • keiraev
    Options
    I use these cute little non-stick boats that float in the boiling water and I crack eggs into them - I used to poach into swirling boiling water but it was a pain drying the eggs off, and sometimes damp paper towel would stick, etc. I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets :P

egg-poach-pod-e1276037862783.jpg

aren't they cute!

I want those- gonna look on Amazon!