Deodorant

Options
reesegrace1
reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
edited August 2019 in Chit-Chat
With some links floating around online about a connection with ingredients in deodorant causing breast cancer. Some links, say it has not been proven. So how concerned should we be on this?

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I don’t use anti-perspirant...sweating is a natural and healthy bodily function. Using anything designed to stop that isn’t wise imo.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I was told the deodorant is fine but the antiperspirants contains some kind of aluminum that contributes to Alzheimer's. Not sure how true that is but im going back to antiperspirant coz deodorant just doesn't last long enough for me

I agree with this poster. This is the exact same thing I've read about. It was years ago when I read this but it was some kind of research out of Europe.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I was told the deodorant is fine but the antiperspirants contains some kind of aluminum that contributes to Alzheimer's. Not sure how true that is but im going back to antiperspirant coz deodorant just doesn't last long enough for me

I agree with this poster. This is the exact same thing I've read about. It was years ago when I read this but it was some kind of research out of Europe.

If that research was well founded, wouldn’t they have abandoned anti-perspirants? Or they’ve have health warnings on them like cigarette packets?

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    No credible evidence exists showing this imo.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    on my list of items (or situations) to worry about, this comes in at..... let's see......

*checking list

number: 7,533
  • kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Probably along the same nonsense as when people thought that using mobile phones caused brain cancer.
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I don't care about any of the bazillion things that might kill me. I'd rather just live my life until my number's up. 😎

Did you ask your GP or Gyn about it?

Totally this.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    No credible evidence exists showing this imo.

This. How much deodorant is really capable of entering the blood stream given topically & bypassing defense system of skin & partitioning?

Maybe OP is confused with more recent news on talc? Safer alternative = cornstarch
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The info on this seems to greatly differ in the US than in other coutries. Still no conclusive evidence but they seem more concerned overseas than here.
    https://www.breastcanceruk.org.uk/science-and-research/background-briefings/aluminium-salts/
  • TheNeverPlayedSymphonies
    Options
    Plain and simple
    I ain’t sitting on anyone’s knee
    that doesn’t use the “D”eodorant
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    @caco_ethes Is THIS why you don't wear deodorant?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Ive heard its more because the antiperspirant prevents the underarm from sweating and for some reason this affects lymph drainage or something who the heck knows 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

I knew you’d be the one to tag me 😍
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I knew you’d be the one to tag me 😍

I couldn't help myself 😘
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I found this on Google Scholar, which people should know is a rather useful place because you can find not only abstracts but hidden away in the nooks and crannies of the Internet are actual research papers which you would have to pay for, Google finds them and links to them.

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/94/20/1578/1802711
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I appreciate people who worry about these things. They sound the alarm, make people pay attention, and in a few years the concern either fades away or I know to take it seriously.