Who has a delicious couscous recipe?

Options
jennarandhayes
jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
I don't usually care for couscous, I find it bland. Today I tried Sainsburys' "Be good to yourself, couscous with chargrilled vegetables" and it was AWESOME! It was flavored with tomatoes (it was a redish tint) and herbs and now I am searching for a GOOD recipe. Bring on the couscous!

Replies

• duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not couscous but quiona. (I know your not asking, but it's similar)

Quiona
    Frozen Roasted Corn from Trader Joe's -- the roasted kind, not the plain kind
    Cubed avocado
    Curry powder
    Garlic powder

Yummy!
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I adore couscous (just had some for tea) and Tescos do a similar one - Mediteraen with olive bits in! Totally gorgeous!!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I will often add either some diced tomatoes or a good pasta sauce (like Classico) to couscous after cooking, and top it with some herb tofu. One of my easy go-to meals. You can add whatever you want to it, really.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Near East wild mushroom couscous. Just add water, cooks in like 5 minutes. Delicious.
  • williebob
    Options
    COUSCOUS SALAD

•2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous
    •1 cup chopped cucumber
    •1 cup chopped tomatoes
    •1/2 cup chopped red onion
    •1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained
    •1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
    •Juice of two large lemons
    •1 tbsp olive oil

Combine couscous, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, garbanzo beans and mint in a large bowl. Whisk together lemon juice and olive oil. Pour over couscous salad and stir well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Calories 162, Calories from Fat 28, Total Fat 3.2g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 126mg, Carbohydrate 28.4g, Fiber 5.1g, Protein 5.1g

I add grilled chicken sometimes and just make it meal.
  • kellyth78
    Options
    i love it with chopped fresh fruit in it. tastes amazing and fills you up good too. my favourite this week is strawberries, raspberries, red grapes and some crushed pineapple. gorgeous,
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Love the Ainsley Harriott ones too (but not the sun dried tomato one - it doesn't re-hydrate well). I just have them with prawns and salad bits :-)
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oooooooohh.MEEEE! WE LOVE THIS! eat it often. the recipe is for stuffed peppers...but my husband and i leave off the "stuffing peppers" part and use the stuffing and dressing over a sald or jsut by itself...warmed or room temp. oh so yummy!!!
    Ingredients

Filling:
    1 cup no salt chicken broth
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3/4 cup couscous
    1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup dried currants or raisens
    1 packed cup chopped baby spinach leaves
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 medium red bell peppers
    1 medium yellow bell pepper
    1 medium orange bell pepper
    Hot water, as needed

Sauce:
    1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup (about 4 ounces) fat free or reduced calorie sour cream
    1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon water
    1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon sugar or natural sweetner
    1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra, as needed
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra, as needed

Directions

Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Filling: In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and cumin to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the couscous. Cover the pan until the couscous is tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 to 6 minutes. Put the couscous in a large bowl and add the beans, currants, spinach, feta and 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir until all the ingredients are combined.

Slice the tops off the peppers and remove all the ribs and seeds. If necessary, cut a very thin slice from the base to help the peppers stand up. Stuff the peppers with the filling and drizzle the tops with olive oil. Put the peppers in an 8 by 8-inch square baking dish. Fill the baking dish with 3/4-inch hot water and bake until the filling is golden and the peppers are cooked through, about 55 to 60 minutes. Cooks Note: If the filling begins to brown too quickly, cover the pan with foil.)

Sauce: In a blender, combine the basil, creme fraiche, olive oil, water, garlic, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.

Remove the peppers from the oven and arrange on serving plates. Spoon the sauce around the peppers and serve.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas, I have a lot of cooking to do! YUM!
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump