Bulk Meals & Calculating per serving

Options
Hello,
I just joined Myfitnesspal as of 7/31. I love the app but I'm a rookie, I need some help. I cook for our family and it's usually in bulk to last for several days. I've searched YouTube with no success....I can enter everything I used for the recipe but if I wanted a portion of the meal I made and weight it(by grams), how do I use the app to calculate the gram of what I cooked(that I'll eat for the day)?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Weigh the entire recipe, then weigh the portion you will eat. Divide your portion weight by the entire recipe weight to get your percent of weight. Multiply that percentage by the entire calories to get your percent of calories. You have found the create a recipe part of the app, right?
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Weigh all ingredients (raw) then weigh the finished dish after letting it cool down. In the recipe maker add the amount of grams that the dish weighs as amount of servings so say if it weighs 2345g then enter it as 2345 servings.
    When you're going to eat, weigh your portion and enter the grams as serving size, so if your portion weighs 123g, enter 123 servings.
    When I log my recipes I always add into the dish name "1g = 1 Serving".
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    sefajane1 wrote: »
    Weigh all ingredients (raw) then weigh the finished dish after letting it cool down. In the recipe maker add the amount of grams that the dish weighs as amount of servings so say if it weighs 2345g then enter it as 2345 servings.
    When you're going to eat, weigh your portion and enter the grams as serving size, so if your portion weighs 123g, enter 123 servings.
    When I log my recipes I always add into the dish name "1g = 1 Serving".

This method has been a game changer for me. I used to try and use the ‘guess the exact portion I’m about to eat in proportion to the amount the rest of the family are eating’ game and it stopped me cooking and eating that way because I wasn’t comfortable not being totally sure I’d got it right. Now with the 1g = 1 serving method I’m much happier and it just makes the whole homemade cooking thing totally stress free! As someone who loves to cook and experiment it’s brilliant!