Are you supposed to loss calories more then you consume?

Options
if i ate 500cal, should i exercise and loss 600cal? or is this not how it works? i've noticed with my body is that if i consume more then 1000cal a day then i dont loss weight so i restricted my self into eating 500 a day instead

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Others will be along shortly I'm sure to explain it more eloquently than I can.

Your body burns calories anyway, simply by existing. It takes energy to make your brain work, digestion, walk up and down the stairs at home etc. Even if you just sat on the sofa all day it would burn calories.

You should not only be eating 500 calories a day, that will not be enough to maintain a healthy body, it would lead to significant health problems.

What you need is a calorie deficit over a period of time, I go for about 500 less a day than my total requirement. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, doesn't really matter.
    (Just for clarity, what I mean is 500 less than my TDEE, not 500 less than MFP tells me)

Have you worked through the set up, how many calories has MFP suggested you eat?
    I would start from there, give it a few weeks and see how you go.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No, that’s not how this site works. MFP will provide you a goal and that is what you are supposed to eat in order to lose weight, it has the deficit factored in.

Did you enter your stats and a goal rate of loss into MFP? What are those stats and what is your goal? What rate of loss did you choose?

Regardless, there is no way that can only lose weight eating 500 calories. This is dangerously low. Even 1000 calories is too low. 1200 is the minimum calorie recommendation for women and 1500 for men.