Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    bulk.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Hmmm... an abandoned thread... what should we do with it?

Shall we discuss the virtues of anchovies pizza?

Debate when a salad should be called a slaw or vice versa?

Randomly tag people like @apullum?

Or should we just let it set sail into page 2 and beyond and let it hope someone bumps it 3 years from now for some unknown reason?

I'm honored that I'm the person you chose to randomly tag.

Slaw is made of shredded cabbage mixed with dressing. It's a subset of salad. If the primary vegetable is not cabbage, then it might be salad, but it's not slaw.

What if you buy slaw mix and stir fry it in oil and soy sauce because you are too lazy to shred it. What is it called then?

Wait. Does broccoli slaw have cabbage in it?
  • Wallelf56
    Wallelf56 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "Shall we discuss the virtues of anchovies pizza?"

Definitely a virtue, but only if placed in a pattern of 2 per slice. :D
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Or should we just let it set sail into page 2 and beyond and let it hope someone bumps it 3 years from now for some unknown reason?

Slaw is made of shredded cabbage mixed with dressing. It's a subset of salad. If the primary vegetable is not cabbage, then it might be salad, but it's not slaw.

To do honor to the abandoned thread, I propose a different view: If the primary vegetable is not cabbage, it may be slaw, but it's not cole slaw. Discuss.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

To do honor to the abandoned thread, I propose a different view: If the primary vegetable is not cabbage, it may be slaw, but it's not cole slaw. Discuss.
    You’ve chosen this particular hill to die on?

What makes cole slaw different from slaw? Is slaw not just coke slaw but shortened? Does it somehow transform when cole is removed?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

What if you buy slaw mix and stir fry it in oil and soy sauce because you are too lazy to shred it. What is it called then?

Wait. Does broccoli slaw have cabbage in it?

(1) is a stir fry.

(2) is not slaw, it's a broccoli salad.
  • apullum
    Options

Cole slaw has a mayonnaise based dressing. Other "slaw" may have vinegar based dressing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Either broccoli or cabbage can be used in slaw, because they're both brassicas. Brassica is the latin name (for the genus), and latin names for plants are science, therefore it's scientifically proven that both cabbage and broccoli can be used to make slaw. So there.

;););)

What you did not know is that brassicas, also called cruciferous vegetables, are also known as "cole crops", therefore any of the brassicas can also be used to make "cole slaw". That's true, but it's English, so not science.

;););)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

There is no excuse for this kind of language. :rage:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I am considering broco-cole-slaw mix stir fried with konjac noodles, just so that some gratuitous anchovies won't cause further cognitive dissonance!

Or maybe a fudgecicle to complement a vanilla cone 'cause too hot in here!

Not sure which one will win!!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Well @apullum got slaw-tered by the genus @AnnPT77.

What is wrong with delicious anchovies on pizza? Well... except the water weight gain... there is a reason they are sometimes used as a salt substitute in recipes. For extra deliciousness you make a butter, anchovies, and garlic dipping sauce for the pizza.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @apullum cannot be slaw-tered, as she is not a brassica. And I wouldn't do that anyway, because I'm a nice li'l ol' lady (mostly).

P.S. You may have all the anchovies. I am vegetarian. Even Swedish Fish are not vegetarian. I am partly Swedish, but I still can't eat them.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I really want pepperoni pizza now
  • apullum
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @apullum cannot be slaw-tered, as she is not a brassica. And I wouldn't do that anyway, because I'm a nice li'l ol' lady (mostly).

P.S. You may have all the anchovies. I am vegetarian. Even Swedish Fish are not vegetarian. I am partly Swedish, but I still can't eat them.

"Coleslaw" comes from the Dutch "koolsla," meaning "cabbage salad." If it ain't cabbage, it ain't coleslaw.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

What makes cole slaw different from slaw? Is slaw not just coke slaw but shortened? Does it somehow transform when cole is removed?

You've chosen this particular hill to threaten me with death? You need to get a sense of humor.

And cole comes from a word that means cabbage. Slaw comes from a word that means salad, if you really need a serious answer.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

You've chosen this particular hill to threaten me with death? You need to get a sense of humor.

And cole comes from a word that means cabbage. Slaw comes from a word that means salad, if you really need a serious answer.

Did I threaten you with death? I made a joke about dying on this particular hill. Have you not heard that expression? This is about slaw and anchovies not murder. Well, technically the anchovies are murdered and if you’re a fruitarian so is the slaw but we’ll gloss over that because that’s a side hill I’m not willing to climb.