Eating before and after exercise

Options
I wonder what do one eat before you exercise or do you eat, and if you do how long before you exercise should you eat? If you want to tone and loose weight.

Replies

• jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me personally I try to make sure there has been at least 2-3 hours between my last meal and my exercise routine, otherwise my stomach doesn't feel so good during the exercise. I typically eat lunch between 11-12 and I exercise from 3-4 everyday. Then dinner is around 5 or 5:30 and contains a lot of protein such as an 8 oz chicken breast with green veggies. For me this works.
  • bzr21
    bzr21 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have found that if I do not eat something before I workout, I feel sluggish and do not have enough energy to push myself. I will grab a handfull of mixed nuts with dried cranberry about 30 minutes before my workout and I feel that provides me with enough energy to not only get through my workout, but also go a little longer than planned.

As far as what to eat after a workout I'm not sure. I live an hour from where I work and I usually hit the gym before I make my commute home so by the time I get home I am almost in binge mode. I really struggle with this one.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1 slice of whole wheat bread with a tbsp peanut butter 30 mins to 1 hour before working out. My trainer said this was perfectly ok, The carbs from the bread helps fuel my exercise. I've learned that it's also important to eat within an hour post-workout.
  • iSteakers
    Options
    I used to only eat after working out because I had been told that you burn more calories if you eat within 45 minutes of working out (I'm not sure how true that is). I then has started working out in the morning and always was getting sick so now I eat a 120 calorie organic granola bar before working out to give my body some substance to use while working out.