Veggies, beans and stomach issues!

I decided to eat food but mostly plants as Michael Pollan suggested in his book. I ate mostly beans and veggies last night for dinner. My stomach was a wreck all night and still is today. If those foods are suppose to be so good for you, why would they cause such stomach distress. I even read this morning that beans are an anti inflammatory. How can this be????

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Increased fiber is very good for regularity, but can definitely produce more gas. Did you drastically change your eating overnight? Try a more gradual approach.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Beans have a shell which is made of cellulose (tough plant material). The human body can't digest cellulose.

You can cook beans until they're very soft, and maybe will be able to eat them without distress. Some people can't tolerate them even then. I love lentils and when I eat them, cook them into almost mush. Hope this helps!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Some beans are more digestible than others. I seem to remember the more indigestible ones may contain natural chemicals which some of us are intolerant of. This is probably too vague to help but I totally agree, soak probably over night and cook really, really well. Oh, increasing fibre so swiftly will cause discomfort.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited August 2019
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    FatHollis wrote: »
    Beans have a shell which is made of cellulose (tough plant material). The human body can't digest cellulose.

You can cook beans until they're very soft, and maybe will be able to eat them without distress. Some people can't tolerate them even then. I love lentils and when I eat them, cook them into almost mush. Hope this helps!

OK, then why are they touted as being so good for you when we cannot even digest them???

Beans are definitely good for us -- lentils, for example, have 18 grams of protein in one cup. We just can't digest cellulose, the tough material in plant cell walls. Human beings lack an enzyme to digest cellulose.

You have to cook them well and possibly adjust to them. It depends on the person. If you try to eat them again, eat a much smaller portion and make sure they are well cooked.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I eat canned beans and they add a lot of good nutrients, flavor and versatility to my foods.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    Beans are very good for you. And that "indigestible" part is the fiber, it's what goes through your system and helps clear it out. But too much of a good thing= not good. As many of suggested, start off with smaller amounts and work your way up to large portions. You don't have to go the "soak overnight" routine if you use canned beans, they've already been soaked and cooked for you. Just add some into your regular recipes. For instance, I'll often add some canned black beans to my meat sauce (red) and serve it over pasta. Tastes basically like regular meat sauce, but with the added fiber content. While I do add an entire can of beans, the sauce is actually 4 portions, so I only eat 1/4 of the can. You could then add another 1/4 can to a salad, again adding fiber, but in a more manageable portion size for your belly. You didn't mention what other veggies you ate last night, so I can't say if those added to your belly distress, but I'm guessing they did. Whenever changing your diet drastically, try to do it in stages, your body and your belly will thank you for giving it time to adapt to the new foods. ;)
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I suffer from IBS and have found over the years that I just cant digest certain foods easily and comfortably. My mum was a big believer in the F plan diet when I was a child, she was into all the health foods, lots of wholemeal and whole bran type things, It was a killer for me.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    I've had some issues too, but I've recently choosing soluble fiber over insoluble as I am transitioning to whole food plant based diet. So I have to be careful even two months into it. There is a difference between loose stools and diarrhea, which I was unaware of.

I have found for me, that if I start with grains and add in lentils and hummus it cushions against fruit and veggies I eat later. Like I will have a tempeh, hummus, and bell pepper sandwich on sprouted grain bread. My body seems to like this combo. I've found that you have to stick with it and find what works best for you.

The first time I ate a nourish bowl of cauliflower, I was in so much gas pain I thought I was going to die. Now, I'm more careful. XD
  • Your body will adjust. You are making the best decision for your body! You got this🙌🏻 I went from carnivore to vegetarian and it took some time to adjust. I had the same issues. But 4 months later and my body feels amazing!! I think after 3 weeks or so the issues went away for me. Good luck!