Daily Weigh Ins

Options
Does anyone weigh in daily?

I’ve read that it is a better indicator of overall weight loss as our weight can fluctuate daily.

If you do weigh in daily, or have done in the past, do you find it motivating or demoralising?

Also, feel free to add me as I’m looking for more accountability from my MFP pals :)

Replies

• Veilleux311
    Veilleux311 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I agree it keeps me honest with my efforts. I find it's crucial to weigh roughly around the same time, so I do so after sleeping. I read on MayoClinic's discussion of weightloss that we actually lose a combination of fat, muscle, and water so knowing that guides my macro choices through MFP.
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Daily. Same time each morning as I get out of the shower. I find it helps me to hold myself accountable. I also log my weight each day so that I can see the progress.
  • cjays2019
    cjays2019 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have a dail scale in my home that I weigh with daily just to see how the scale is going, and then I weigh once a week once a week on a digital scale at my parents and record it on mfp. I have chosen Sunday but that's just because it just happened to be the first time I weight on a digital scale since starting.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,616 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh daily. I've been going up recently before dropping and took a break for a few days as it was getting too frustrating for me. Now that it's becoming a pattern I'm ok with it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. It keeps me engaged in the process.

My scale syncs to MFP through a trending app. Without daily weigh ins, I wouldn't have the information I need.

I understand and accept that there will be fluctuations and plateaus. So, whatever the scale shows is fine with me.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in particular when I'm cutting weight. It's annoying sometimes, but I like to see the trend. I use Happy Scale to log it.

Sometimes you step on there and BAM you're like a kilo heavier overnight and the brain goes "OMG!!!! BUT I'M LIKE HUNGRY!!!! WHYYY???????" so you just need to tell the brain to be quiet and look at the trend.

It's very helpful for you to work out things like when you bloat in relation to your period and so on. I co-ordinate my period app with my scale app and then I know stuff like when I get really hungry in the month, when my weight goes up and down, when I can expect the "woosh", etc. Takes some time though to get good data
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I have a Fitbit scale so it automatically syncs the info to my app. I have an official weigh-in on Fridays here on MFP. It helps keep me on the right path.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily then input into the Happy Scale app which keeps a 10 day moving average. I find this lowers my anxiety about where my weight is. It does fluctuate and sometimes I get frustrated because I think it should be going down faster or I have a really hard workout and I’m up a pound for no reason. But looking at the trend and the average is helpful. Plus the Happy Scale app sets small goals for you to achieve .
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I use the libra app. I can make notes like if i didnt eat well, lady time, feel like I'm holding water. After a few months you can track fluctuations and causes. I find it helpful.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It motivates me to get the the gym in the morning, too.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily unless I am away from home (ex. camping). I lost more than 100 lbs in 8 months in 2017. Been in maintenance since and I find that weighing helps keep me informed and accountable.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Weight and the scale can be tricky for people. There are times in my life where weighing in daily has helped me be accountable to myself, understand the normal fluctuations of my body, and given me another data point with which to approach weight loss logically. There have also been times in my life where weighing in daily and the number on the scale has negatively impacted my mental health, lead to obsessive behaviors, and determined my outlook and mood for the day.

Currently, I step on the scale a couple times a week out of idle curiosity, and record my weight weekly. The most important thing, I think, is for each person to pay particular attention to how the scale and the number on it impacts their behavior. If positive, wonderful! If not, quit it. Find other metrics for health. There are lots out there!
  • GemJade11
    GemJade11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find it very motivating, but for some people it can be damaging. It has helped me become more attuned to my body. You have to understand that weight fluctuates due to a variety of reasons. Try it, but if you find yourself getting upset by it then I would stop.
  • Natalorian
    Natalorian Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    GemJade11 wrote: »
    I find it very motivating, but for some people it can be damaging. It has helped me become more attuned to my body. You have to understand that weight fluctuates due to a variety of reasons. Try it, but if you find yourself getting upset by it then I would stop.

Agreed. When I first lost weight about 2 years ago, it wasn't very healthy for me because it used to affect my mood and trigger binges whenever it was higher than I wanted. I started weighing daily again a few months ago, but my attitude has changed towards it, probably because I've learned so much more about the weight loss process. Now it keeps me accountable, and I enter my weight in an app that shows me the overall trend, so the little (or even not so little) fluctuations don't bother me anymore.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    For me, neither motivating nor demotivating to weigh daily: It's just data, completely neutral. I've done it every morning (when at home) for years, even when I wasn't trying to lose weight, and I recorded the result.

Weighing daily helped me understand what kinds of things cause my bodyweight to fluctuate, by how much, and how long it's likely to last. Experience and tracking the daily weights helped me recognize meaningless fluctuations (that I should ignore) versus meaningful trends (which I shouldn't ignore).

Like I said, it's just data. It's potentially useful, but it's not the measure of one's worth as a human being.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For me, neither motivating nor demotivating to weigh daily: It's just data, completely neutral. I've done it every morning (when at home) for years, even when I wasn't trying to lose weight, and I recorded the result.

Weighing daily helped me understand what kinds of things cause my bodyweight to fluctuate, by how much, and how long it's likely to last. Experience and tracking the daily weights helped me recognize meaningless fluctuations (that I should ignore) versus meaningful trends (which I shouldn't ignore).

Like I said, it's just data. It's potentially useful, but it's not the measure of one's worth as a human being.

Could not possibly agree with you more.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh daily too, though sometimes I don’t log the weight if I go up by half or 1 lb, hoping that I go back down the next day. My graph still goes up and down, but mostly down and it is keeping me motivated to continue logging and losing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself often now that I'm trying to maintain. I am one of those who find it demoralizing when the scale doesn't reflect what I think is reality.

My hubby on the other hand loves weighing himself not only daily, but several times a day, and he enjoys tracking the fluctuations and pinpointing his true progress. He finds it motivating. He even weighs himself in the middle of the night. Many times he will lose a pound from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. when he gets up for the day.