Fasting + Portions + Night Shifts

Options
Veilleux311
Veilleux311 Posts: 27 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hi, I love hiking but finally admitted to myself that I can't get healthier with a fork in my mouth. The trigger for me was on 7/23/19, my doctor made another adjustment to my BP meds while I came up with more excuses that I'm trying everything to succeed. More pills fix nothing. Then I returned home and shoveled an entire cooked frozen pizza in front of the TV. With shame, I dug out the pizza box from the trash: 1,500 calories I just shoveled in one sitting. I installed MyFitnessApp and during the past 15 days I've closely watched my portions and have lost 8 pounds. My 47 year old frame started at 273 lbs, my goal is 200 lbs. I work 12-hour night shifts. I discovered "intermittent fasting" and tried it during my nights off for 12 to 16 hours. I'm in the middle of one now. I started at 7pm and it's 4:51 a.m. I woke up hungry, opened the fridge, and grabbed some refreshing water. The box of Little Ceasars pizza remains untouched in the fridge right now. During my fast if I feel like my sugar's getting low, then I'll eat. But instead I'm discovering it's psychological hunger mostly. So I live in that moment and think about all of my unhealthy urges with food. 100% of my overeating is stress related. I've tried modifying my life. I passed up the riding lawn mower and use a push mower to cut 2 acres; it's a motivator to see MyFitness App calculate a 2,000+ calorie burn! Nutrient density with food choices is a healthier shift as well. I've selected more grains, veggies, fruits, and nuts. During my first 15 days using MyFitness App I've definitely noticed less brain fog and I'm falling asleep much easier. What's working for you? What's not? I look forward to learning from and cheering on other folks on our journeys to healthier choices!

Replies

• northerngal8788
    northerngal8788 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m just starting IF, and I definitely feel better! I’ve always struggled with breakfast and what to eat so it’s nice not to worry about it. I’m exited to see where this goes as I’ve noticed I’m less preoccupied with food, feel more energetic and have less brain fog. Feel free to add me!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Working shifts can be difficult when it comes to healthier eating so if IF works for you then that's great. Getting enough sleep is also difficult so I'm glad you're already sleeping better. Honestly, it's the health and energy related benefits that you get from implementing healthier habits that keep you going.

Keep active and keep logging. You'll reach your goals.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You've definitely got your head in the right place. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. 👍
  • Veilleux311
    Options
    I’m just starting IF, and I definitely feel better! I’ve always struggled with breakfast and what to eat so it’s nice not to worry about it. I’m exited to see where this goes as I’ve noticed I’m less preoccupied with food, feel more energetic and have less brain fog. Feel free to add me!

I agree about the breakfast struggle as well! Meal timeframes for me constantly rotate with my overnight shifts and nights off. At first I was worried I would continue eating habits at work, just grazing all the time while running everywhere or working at the desk. MFP so far has helped tremendously with figuring out how to maximize energy nutrients with fewer calories.
  • Veilleux311
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Good for you! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Working shifts can be difficult when it comes to healthier eating so if IF works for you then that's great. Getting enough sleep is also difficult so I'm glad you're already sleeping better. Honestly, it's the health and energy related benefits that you get from implementing healthier habits that keep you going.

Keep active and keep logging. You'll reach your goals.

Thank you very much!