Emotional Hallucinations

Options
Although there is certainly a physiological element to being overweight, to being a lifelong overeater, i think the more challenging...by far for me...the mental/emotional elements.

I was born to an overeater, grew up learning to be one, and have lived my entire life either thinking about what to eat or what not to eat. Dieting or eating anything I want. Developing sedentary habits that were only reinforced by my upwardly spiraling weight.

After years of losing and gain hundreds...no, I have committed to honesty....thousands of pounds I became convinced that one more weight lost "program" or "diet" of any sort would only result in an eventual weight gain of everything lost, plus an additional amount of weight, which I certainly could not afford, so I stopped trying. Stopped hoping. Stopped living...I think.

Until March of 2011. I sat listening to my sister talk, yet again, about how she had lost weight, was eating healthy, and she was clearly enthused. I apologize to her for what I thought that day. She's so naive. She continues trying even though it will never work.

Than it occurred to me how amazing it was that she had struggled all these years just like I did, but she never, ever gave up. I had no right to call her naive. To mentally criticize her tenacity, because, after all, isn't continuing to try what life is all about?
You know, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, get back on the bike, never let go of the reins, blah blah blah. I just didn't have the energy. Where did she get it?

It was that day, though, that I started thinking about the plasticity of the brain and how much I have relied on my own brain's plasticity to to do so many things. Study, take tests, learn new skills. I mean, I have always believed (enormously) it the brain's ability to adapt, assimilate, accommodate, to learn.

Huh.

Why didn't I believe it work with my eating? My behavior relating to food? To exercise? Why?

Even if I don't believe in "dieting" or in "weight loss programs" and I do not...NOT. AT ALL...brain plasticity, or neuroplasticity, the ability of the brain, of my brain to change physically, at any age – for better or worse. Oh my....I had been changing my brain, physically, for years, and finally, it was my own brain convincing me that there was no hope. No point in trying. In saying, "what's the use?"

And, if my brain could change to the point that it could totally and completely convince me of that, then it could also change, with hard work, and convince me that I could absolutely, positively make any change I damn well chose to make, if only I made a decision over and over and over again, my brain would actually change. It had changed for the worse, it certainly could change for the better, if only I was willing to try, over and over and over again, even though I didn't want to, Eventually, the seemingly impossible would become difficult , the difficult would become pretty hard, the pretty hard would become challenging, and eventually, the challenging would become commonplace, automatic. Notice, I didn't say it would become easy. I don't think it ever will become easy, but I am willing to accept that. It it could at least not be so horribly, painfully difficult every moment of everyday, that would be progress.

So, here I am now, 62 pounds lighter. I seem to have lost a "fifth grade child," and what a difference already. I am not even close to thin, and I am so much different, inside and out, body and mind...and emotion, than I was that day in March when my tenacious sister, who never let go of anything without it having scratch marks all over it, inspired me, finally.

But, I find that I am worried. I feel as if I am a at a crossroads, I think because I have been at this level of weight loss before, and here, or thereabouts, is where it always took "a turn for the worse."

Am I going to lose this inspiration? Will I find out that this has all been another sad hallucination telling me that I could actually make changes....for life rather than for awhile?

Or is the hallucination that I must fail at this point because I always have before? I choose to believe the latter. Partly because I think it is true, but even more because I insist on recognizing how cunning, powerful, and physically designed my brain is to make me believe that I must fail. If my brain is so extraordinary that it can change itself and convince me I must fail, then it is easily extraordinary enough to change physically and (eventually) convince me that I must succeed, and that I will continue to succeed each day that I choose to.

I really is all up to me and my fancy little brain.

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What a powerful and well written post. Thank you for sharing that. You are amazing woman, and have what it takes to be successful. Keep up this great work!
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    Thank you for writing this! It is very relevant to where I am now in this journey and it is the perfect time to come across this post. I wish you all the best. You will succeed! And thank you again!
  • barbbellin
    Options
    Your comments were very insightful. You have learned alot about your body especially your mind. Hang on to this knowledge. Your mind will resist losing more, changing your image of who you are, and who you want to be. It has been taught to protect you and it doesn't understand that you don't want that protection now. You want the change. It is a good change for you. When you feel the resistance recognize it for what it is.. don't fight it ... embrace your body for what it is trying to do for you. Let it know you love and appreciate what it is doing, but gently remind it that the change is good it is what you want. Doing this in verbal affirmations each evening will help you get through this phase. And it is only a phase... you will emerge from the cacoon a beautiful butterfly ready to test it's new wings.
    :flowerforyou:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Excellently transferred from your emotional brain to the physical paper (per se). Now, just don't allow yourself to be overpowered by your past. Let your future shine through.
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I understand! I was at an emotional spot about 30 lbs ago. I had gotten there before but put it all back on and more till I reach my highest weight of 393. Before my mind was saying you can't go any further, but I pushed through it. Now my mind is saying YES we can finish this....And I Can!! This journey is physical strength, but more so Emotional! THAT is the part that is the hardest to conquer but it can be done.....Believe in yourself and your abilities!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!! You are so very right...and put into words what many can only think. YES - Weight loss/healthy habits are as much a part of the mind as they are the body. I have found myself doing the same thing...It feels that no matter if I'm losing or gaining, my thoughts center around what I'm going to eat. I'm hoping that this time I stick with it long enough, so that it is no longer an obsession, but something that comes naturally - so I don't even think about it.

Thank you for sharing this!
  • GrammyM
    GrammyM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love your post and will print it and reread it when I am tempted to "throw in the towel" yet again. I too have fought this battle many times before, but finally I am changing my approach to personal reinforcement, not only to weight loss but to several of the goals that I continually fail to meet and/or maintain.

Keep us posted - you are already an inspiration.
  • BMiller5
    BMiller5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Such a wonderful and well written post! You CAN & WILL do anything you want.
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will be in that spot in about 14 pounds and I have already begun to wonder what will happen this time. If I can really do it this time. Because I so want it to be the last time.
  • mommybarb
    Options
    I agree with most of the responses to your post. Thank you for sharing. We all have that deep dark side of weight loss.......a time remembered when we almost did it. Your post is inspiring to many. May the universe send you goodness and fortitude for the rest of your journey. Again, thank you.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing this. I have experienced many emotions that I have never come across before with this weight loss journey, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow that is soooo powerful. Thank you for writing this, it really is helpful to me.

By focussing on the wonderful experiences you are having now and how you feel, you will not look back, but forward with hope. You know my yogi said that there is no past or future just now. Love yourself and do what is best for you today and tomorrow will look after itself, yesterday doesn't exist.

*hugs*
    Julie
  • blunderwhere
    blunderwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your supportive words. I appreciate it so much. When I wrote this, it's so long and drones on and on, I figured I was just putting it out there because I needed to say it and because I needed to "hear" what I was saying, and that was fine. Your supportive responses are a welcome and unexpected surprise.

Hey, fiberartist....I am one too. Good to see you here.
  • TommyWR
    TommyWR Posts: 65
    Options
    Amazing story and great read. Thank you for sharing. You have done such a great job thus far, keep on!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    AMEN, Darlin'! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!