Going on cruise next month

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
Lost 71 pounds since last July, a goal of 82. I have not missed a day of logging on MFP since starting. We are on a cruise late September and I'm not worried about what to eat. Believe it or not there are plenty, I mean plenty of healthy food options to eat. You just have to make the right decisions just like at home. While I don't think I'll be perfect for the whole cruise i feel I have the will power and knowledge to do the right thing 90% of the time. I am going to have internet on the ship so my question is would you log in just like any other day or forget about MFP for 5 days? I think I'm gonna long as best I can because this is kind of a security blanket to me. What is your take?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm only two months in. I would log. You've had great success and are more tuned in to what you need to do. I think it's a personal choice. If you feel confident, enjoy the cruise without logging.

Have a great time.
  • OAS5
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm only two months in. I would log. You've had great success and are more tuned in to what you need to do. I think it's a personal choice. If you feel confident, enjoy the cruise without logging.

Have a great time.

Thank you and you are right. I am pretty in tune to what I need and what works and what healthy I like. I do love the security blanket of logging though.
    It's gonna be so freaking nice to be on a cruise and not be fat. I'm going in the pool on the ship and can't wait. 😁
  • admin765
    admin765 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational post! I would log if I was going on a cruise, I just wouldn't be fanatical about it. Not having a scale, I would accept that my entries would not be extremely accurate. But at least I could go back and see my food choices weeks later.
  • OAS5
    Options
    admin765 wrote: »
    Very inspirational post! I would log if I was going on a cruise, I just wouldn't be fanatical about it. Not having a scale, I would accept that my entries would not be extremely accurate. But at least I could go back and see my food choices weeks later.

Oh shoot I didn't even think of that. I weigh myself everyday and won't be able to for 5 days. I have to say I'm a tad worried about that. Wonder if I can get a cheap scale just for the cruise but then again I don't want to weigh on a different scale either. Mike is glass and delicate. Oh boy I guess I'm gonna have to forgo weighing for 5 days. Thanks for the post.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    The ship's doctor most likely has a scale.
  • OAS5
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    The ship's doctor most likely has a scale.

That is true and I am doing two things on this cruise to burn more calories. I'm taking the stairs instead of the elevators and each morning I'm getting up early and going to the track at the top of the ship to do 2 or 3 miles of walking and watch the sunrise. Burning calories and watch the sunrise from the middle of the ocean. Boy that sounds nice!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Personally I would forget logging for those days. I don't log on vacations and it hasn't stunted my progress. I'd still log into the app at least once a day though to keep your log on streak going :)
  • admin765
    admin765 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Cavallaro65 I know most people won't agree with me here, but I say don't worry about a food scale. It's only five days. You're on vacation! A lot of people lose weight without scales, even though most of us here use them and consider them very important. you can practice portion control by simply sizing the food choices you make. Of course it's not as accurate as weighing foods, but it's something. Hope you have a good cruise!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Me personally - I would take break from logging and weighing.

Just make sensible choices about food and portion sizes and be active when possible - and get back to it when you get home
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would definitely log but I wouldn't bother with weighing.
  • OAS5
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Yeah no way I'll be able to weigh. That's completely out. I will do my best to log. You can only put on so much weight in 5 days. I'm aiming for break even same weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Yeah no way I'll be able to weigh. That's completely out. I will do my best to log. You can only put on so much weight in 5 days. I'm aiming for break even same weight.

That would be a good goal. I would probably let loose a little more and be okay with gaining a pound but you do you.

You do know when you get back your scale will probably uptick a few pounds and return to normal after 4 days or so, right?

• OAS5
    Options

That would be a good goal. I would probably let loose a little more and be okay with gaining a pound but you do you.

You do know when you get back your scale will probably uptick a few pounds and return to normal after 4 days or so, right?

Definitely will be here case. I'll be taking in a ton of sodium I'm certain. I am gonna do a ton of walking but I still expect the scale to be up a tad the day we get back.
  • Jenyfyr
    Jenyfyr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to weigh yourself, the onboard gym or spa might have a scale. You could also ask your cabin steward for one - I know on some ships they have scales in the suites and I'm willing to bet some people ask them to be removed so there could be extras laying around! Excellent plan to take the stairs everywhere - I do that on every cruise (well, as much as possible) and rarely come home more than a few pounds heavier.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you have been on MFP for over a year, and been very successful (which you have) - I'm sure you have a good idea of calorie count and portion size. Just another point of view here: when I have gone on vacation, I take a break from logging. I just eat "sensibly", have my vacation cocktails, and really ramp up my activity level. Everything seems to even out, and I usually come back from vacation the same as when I left. Except happier - LOL :)