Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    12 minutes..still need work :laugh:
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When I run outside I do a 3.3 mile trail in 33mins I am a bit slower on the treadmill.

I have found that I get into a comfortable rhythm and just keep going and it is harder going slower sometimes. It took me a long time to find a comfortable speed and it is starting to get a little faster now.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I rarely run just one fast mile. If I'm running fast miles (VO2 max), I'm using doing 3 x 1 mile repeats (these days ~ 6:25 pace). I'm thinking I could nose out a 5:59 if I tried.

I guess it is sort of like "how much can you bench press?" I never really bench as much as I can do just once.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I am a track coach, and one thing which comes up ALL THE TIME, is that running on the road or trail is not the same as running on the treadmill.

For flat road running, I ran the Los Vegas marathon in a 9 min mile pace. I am 5'1" ( very very fast for me!!)

A ten minute mile is also fast...
    This is a common speed for group runners of mixed ages and gender.

11 min mile is also a good clip.

12 min mile is a jog. Easily sustainable for most people after they are used to running. Good social pace.

And of course now that i am starting at the bottom again, 15 minute miles for me are about the same as a very fast walk...

And it's all about building. Don't forget, you can use walking intervals to cool down a bit between running and still get the same benefits as if you ran straight through.

So if you are heavily winded after 2 miles, then run a mile. Walk for 90 seconds and then tunnthe second, walk again for the 90 seconds and then run for a minute, walk 90 seconds and then run another minute... Like so.
    Do this interval training maybe 5 times. Speed is unimportant!! This will help get your lungs become stronger.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    oops didn't do that right, I like the track coaches advise. This does seem to help
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile is 7:29 and I about died after!! In a 5k race, I run about a 9-min mile average, just under 10 minute pace for a 10k and in a Half marathon race, I average around a 10:15- min pace. It's all relative.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I haven't ran just one mile before to find out what my time was, which I'm sure would be faster if I only concentrated on that one mile, but so far my fastest time is 11:11min/mile with doing 3.5 miles. I started running about 3 weeks ago so I would be thrilled with 10 min mile someday. I mainly concentrate on distance the first few days of the week and then speed the last 3 days of the week to see if I am improving. It's very challenging though! One way to help me stay on track is to listen to my breathing. I want to be somewhat out of breath but I don't want to be gasping for air! Accomplishing a mile with out stopping is awesome starting out though! Congrats!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    You should try the couch to 5k program. It teaches you how to run a 5k in 2 months. You start off slowly and work your way up. I provided the link if your interested in looking. Good luck!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My 1 mile run time is about 6:45.
    For an 8 mile run, my per mile time is a little under 9 minutes.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Mine is 9 minutes flat. I like to try for new PR's for the 1 mile, but prefer to just try to increase my distance rather than speed
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Well my time is incredibly embarrassing, but I'm one of life's non-runners, and have ridiculously short legs. I'm trying the C25K because it's fun and I'm up to week five. My fitness instructor suggested that it would be interesting for me to time a mile now so I can measure future progress.

My time was 17.5 minutes!

Seriously, I could have walked it more quickly, and I'm far from convinced that the treadmill is accurate, but I'm very proud of having actually run for that long without stopping. Most I'd managed without stopping before that was five minutes! :bigsmile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I did a 6:02 this morning. It was painful.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow.... some of these folks who posted are very fast by my standards!!!! :-)

I started my "healthy living" journey back in mid-March, and at that time I couldn't do much at all. My one mile walk was 20:56!!!! I've been working on it more and more and I am able to do a mixture of walking and "jogging" now. I am able to run for 15 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, then run for another 8 minutes. HOWEVER, my pace is still much slower than most have posted on this topic, but.... it currently works for me... I'm averaging about a 13 to 13:30 minute mile. I hope to continue to increase not only the amount of time I run, but also the speed. Keep in mind that I am doing this all on a treadmill. I suppose if I increased the speed, I could go faster, but.... I'm slowly building to that.

I also just read up on the C25K, and I may try to look at that training schedule to increase my time and distance.

Good Luck!
  • glitterballv
    glitterballv Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile is currently 7.10 but i would rarely run one mile so probably could go a bit faster if I wanted to. For a 5K my average pace is about an 8 min mile.
  • sillyspidur
    Options
    I haven't tried a full-on sprint in awhile, but I can do 9:30 for a mile - and that feels probably 85-90% for me right now. I mix 5ks in a 10:30-10:50 pace (depending on the day) and interval training (slow: 5.6mph/fast: 7.2mph) each week. Six months ago, I was consistently running 11-11:30/mile for a 5k and 5.2mph slow/ 6.5mph fast for intervals. It's been a pretty regular improvement. That's running about 8-9 times a month (for a total of about 20-21 miles a month). I'm running a 10-miler for my one year wedding anniversary in October, and I'd like to get down to a 10-10:30 mile pace for that so my husband doesn't have to slow down so much for me! :)
  • maryhappy456
    maryhappy456 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    7 flat!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just timed myself doing a 1.15 mile run around the neighborhood using Runkeeper.

Average Pace 7:58 / mi | Average Speed 7.54 mph

I'm really happy with that, especially since it's kinda hot (around 80, with 63% humidity) and I'm on the verge of catching the cold/sinus infection that has my husband knocked down. And I only started running 6 months ago. And I'm not a spring chicken.

*happy dance*
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    the fastest i've ever run a mile is a 7:30mm and it left me completely spent!

think i may have to try and beat that today....
  • garrettnicole92
    Options
    My fastest time ever was an 8 minute mile ... but that was at least a year ago, when I was running track for my high school. My fastest time for three miles was 28:30 ... but that too was at least a year ago, when I was running cross country. Haha.

Now I run something like a 12-13 minute mile (I haven't timed myself, just an estimate) - but I'm trying to get back into running, and cut that time down to like a 9-10 before October, which I think is totally doable, if I can actually find a safe place to go run.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and i am NOT a runner, but I would like to be one day.
    I can just about do 12min mile "run(my standards-short *kitten*)" (or considered 'jog' for most people,). I've been doing the Couch to 5K program and it has helped me a lot.
    I can just about do 5.6km in 40mins but it's also alternating with jogging and walking on an average of 8.4km/h.
    Bare in mind, this is all on the treadmill.

I tried running outdoors and that killed me! I can just about run non-stop for a maximum 5-8mins

I agree... I think the more petite you are the shorter your stride... which makes their jog our run :(