Slim Fast along with My fitness pal

Options
2»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I see nothing at all out of the ordinary with Slimfast products. They are just food and some people really like them. The calorie counts are not heinous and they are all convenient.

Serve them up and log them in!
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Just to clarify...Slimfast isn't just shakes.
    A lot of misinformed people on here.
    They do meal replacement bars, cheddar bites, porridge, pretzels, mini snack bars..

I wouldn't say misinformed as such...but the "popular" (and most cost effective?!) method of taking Slim Fast is via the shakes...I think restricting yourself to the small variety of those other food items (they do noodles and soups I think as well?!) is not necessarily helpful because eating ready prepared meal portions doesn't educate you to prepare a 600/800 calorie meal for dinner from scratch...and after a couple of weeks you'd get bored of eating the same small number of things...so it is simpler to substitute a shake for breakfast and/or lunch whilst eating ordinary food in a controlled fashion (preparing 600/800 calorie dinners from scratch).

Plus like the shakes...a lot of the "snacks" are basically sugar...I mean all but the 'Heavenly Chocolate Delight' bar (which contains only 6 grams) contain 12 grams of sugar...which is a lot for a tiny 95 calorie bar...and I don't know about anyone else...but I'd rather have a higher protein hit than the carbs...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    They do meal replacement bars, cheddar bites, porridge, pretzels, mini snack bars..

Okay, but all of those things are still just food and don’t have any special weight loss properties. Everything that’s been said about eating the food you want within your calorie goal still applies. It doesn’t matter if we’re talking about a shake or a pretzel. Weight loss is 100% about consistently eating fewer calories than your body burns.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    trbp72 wrote: »

I wouldn't say misinformed as such...but the "popular" (and most cost effective?!) method of taking Slim Fast is via the shakes...I think restricting yourself to the small variety of those other food items (they do noodles and soups I think as well?!) is not necessarily helpful because eating ready prepared meal portions doesn't educate you to prepare a 600/800 calorie meal for dinner from scratch...and after a couple of weeks you'd get bored of eating the same small number of things...so it is simpler to substitute a shake for breakfast and/or lunch whilst eating ordinary food in a controlled fashion (preparing 600/800 calorie dinners from scratch).

Plus like the shakes...a lot of the "snacks" are basically sugar...I mean all but the 'Heavenly Chocolate Delight' bar (which contains only 6 grams) contain 12 grams of sugar...which is a lot for a tiny 95 calorie bar...and I don't know about anyone else...but I'd rather have a higher protein hit than the carbs...

You could go the other way though and say that by eating less uncontrolled meals you have less chance of calorie creeping and perhaps you have more energy to invest in the one meal. Also, some people seem pretty happy eating the same thing all the time. A small number of people do lose weight all the way to goal with the cabbage soup diet and a few of them figure out how to maintain it.

The chances of success with slimfast are not great but then they are not great with any method. All methods have downsides too.

I think we have to be careful disparaging a method that is used to provide a healthy number of calories for a person. It makes no difference to me that I tried and failed to use SF myself a few times that just means it was not for me. The one good thing is that I learned something about myself. I just wish I had learned it completely in the first attempt and not wasted time with 2 more tries at it.

The one good thing about SF is that it doesn't seem to have a lot of the magiks associated with it that others do. I doubt most people doing it are devoted to it and would probably move on to something else if it is not sustainable for them.
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You could go the other way though and say that by eating less uncontrolled meals you have less chance of calorie creeping and perhaps you have more energy to invest in the one meal. Also, some people seem pretty happy eating the same thing all the time. A small number of people do lose weight all the way to goal with the cabbage soup diet and a few of them figure out how to maintain it.

The chances of success with slimfast are not great but then they are not great with any method. All methods have downsides too.

I think we have to be careful disparaging a method that is used to provide a healthy number of calories for a person. It makes no difference to me that I tried and failed to use SF myself a few times that just means it was not for me. The one good thing is that I learned something about myself. I just wish I had learned it completely in the first attempt and not wasted time with 2 more tries at it.

The one good thing about SF is that it doesn't seem to have a lot of the magiks associated with it that others do. I doubt most people doing it are devoted to it and would probably move on to something else if it is not sustainable for them.

You have a point there @NovusDies its true that some people can get on well eating the same thing all the time...I live somewhere in the gray area...because I want to be more controlled...but I have to vary my meals otherwise it becomes just another daily routine...that is to say it becomes a robotic reaction...and though I'd like to have a better control of my eating habits...as some days I subscribe to the old "Sea Food" diet (in that I see food...and I eat it!)...and that sabotages my weight loss...I need to find something that is workable...because I have yo-yo'd back to starting weight again...and I need to lose the belly I have reacquired!