It’s just not good enough

Options
Had my second pt session today. I gave 100% and completed every exercise to the best of my ability but I still don’t feel like it’s good enough, I feel like I’m letting my coach down that I can only do 5 burpees and then have to stop. I don’t know how I can push myself even further 😔 any advice?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Listen to yourself - your body and your mind tells you that you gave 100 % (ONEHUNDRED %)! Tomorrow you will try a little bit harder, achieve a little bit more. Next week, next month it will get better. Next thing you look back and you will realize how much you have achieved. Just trust yourself, take it step by step, day by day. The banks call it "compound interest" - an interesting concept...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Leigh_1216 wrote: »
    Had my second pt session today. I gave 100% and completed every exercise to the best of my ability but I still don’t feel like it’s good enough, I feel like I’m letting my coach down that I can only do 5 burpees and then have to stop. I don’t know how I can push myself even further 😔 any advice?

You've only just completed your second session! Fitness takes time and work. You're putting in the work, but give it some time. :)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what a burpee is, but take it one burpee at a time. The important thing is, you have started the process of bettering your life and health! Don't quit, the rewards are waiting for you!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Talk to us next week when you are doing 5+burpees giving your 100% each and every time. 5 burpees today, 6 next week, 7 the week after... You're going in the right direction getting off the couch and giving what you have. Improvement is the only thing you can attain. Fortunately, that's all you need to achieve. Better than yesterday, not as good as tomorrow.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you're letting your brain play games on you - self-doubt/am i doing enough is a nasty little bugger and can cause you to push beyond your current capabilities
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Had my second pt session today.
    I feel like I’m letting my coach down that I can only do 5 burpees

A second session is just starting out.
    Remember, you're not doing this for the coach. You're doing it for yourself.

Give yourself a pat on the back. You did something good for yourself today and are sticking with it.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I have a very wise coach who's motto is "Every workout should leave you wanting more"

If you gave 100% and completed every exercise to the best of your ability that's good enough. What you want to see is improvement over time, be patient with yourself and set realistic goals.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It all starts with you starting. You've taken the first step. Showing up is all you need to do and keep trying!

Do you know how many folks say, "I'll start tomorrow"? You've started! That's fantastic.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, I could barely jog circles around the gym. Now when it has been time for us to do 15 burpees, I've pushed the rest of the class to get to 25. But it did not happen overnight. It took months and months of heavy training to get there. You can't expect it in anything close to 2 sessions. Just keep up with your workouts and pushing yourself to the best of your ability (without overdoing it and injuring yourself), and you will slowly make progress. But it will take time.

On another note, I hope it is not your coach who is making you feel like that. A good PT should push you to do your best, but never make you feel inadequate for not being able to do more.
  • alesandramichelle
    alesandramichelle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Aww love! Don’t stress! Be so proud of yourself for taking the steps to even workout in the first place! I’ve been working out on and off for years and never decided to add burpees to my routine because they make me feel like I’m going to throw up and pass out (I have vertigo so movements like that are a no go for me) you’re doing great! And for what it counts I’m super proud of you for giving 100% during your workouts. You could be like my husband who stands in the doorway of my workout room eating edible cookie dough while I run for an hour on a treadmill. You’re badass and taking the right steps to take care of yourself and your body. Just let up on your expectations, before you know it, it WILL get easier and you WILL get stronger! That will be incredible motivation in itself. If you ever need some love or admiration I’m here for you! Keep up the good work and know that your amazing! I’ve got crazy anxiety and could never make it to a public gym, let alone have a person trainer. Sheesh, you’re just starting and ready ten times cooler than I am :) cheers off to you!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    as everyone has said. It's cumulative and you have to take it one step at a time. This week it's 5 burpees... next week it's 6. That's progress and that's something to be proud of. Measure your success where you find it, no matter how small because every bit of that success is hard earned and worth celebrating.

Keep taking it one step at a time, one moment at a time and one day you'll look back and be surprised by what you see back there in the past.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Fitness is something that is built over time...pretty sure your coach knows that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    5 burpees is a great starting point! Not sure why you think you’re letting your trainer down. S/he wants you to give your best and it sounds like you’re doing that.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Burpees are incredibly hard on someone unfit. The fact that you have achieved five in a row on your second session is great! Fitness takes time. The person we want to be is doing 10000 burpeees in our head but that person is where we want to be not where we are. Take it easy on yourself, be rational with your expectations, realise your trainer is there to help you not criticise your efforts and commit! All the best
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything that involves jumping, I don't have the necessary strength, co-ordination, or balance.
    And it doesn't ever seem to get any better.

There's a lot of other stuff I can do, and my inability to do a box jump doesn't massively interfere with everyday life :)

Be kind to yourself, some days just getting there is hard enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    It's likely going to take 6 sessions or more to get fitter. That's just how fitness is. It's like playing an instrument. You can't be that efficient at it if you've not done it before in just a few lessons.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Fatiawan
    Fatiawan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can we do workout just after eating something heavy like pizza?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Fatiawan wrote: »
    Can we do workout just after eating something heavy like pizza?

you can...but should you - whole nother story and it will depend on how your body copes - i can eat pizza and work out within an hour if its like a steady state cardio but if its something different then bad juju