Need advice for beginning weight training

Options
I have always been interested in strength training, but I know very little about gym equipment or how much weight to start out w/. Is there some sort of formula for for figuring out how much weight to start out w/, or how many reps you should do? My goal is to tone and sculpt. Any advice would be appreciated. PS, I cannot afford a trainer so please dont suggest it. Thanks.

Replies

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi. I read alot online before I ever went to a gym. I got a begnner routine and printed it out. I then would bring it with me to the gym and do basic strength training. As for weights I would pick something that is heavy to lift by the 8/9 Rep. Each persons strength is different. For me that weight is between 8-12 lbs depending on what muscle group I am working.
    Stick to basic body parts at first.
    chest
    Triceps
    Biceps
    Shoulders
    Back
    Biceps

Then for legs I'd stick with lunges and squats.
    Good luck and have fun!
  • paulpaul187
    paulpaul187 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    It can be intimidating at first with all the stuff in the gym and you feel like everybody is watching you. Not a big deal and you can't always watch somebody else because believe it or not most people in the gym don't know how to use the equipment either .lol.. Here's a few???
    Have you ever lifted before?
    Do you know the names of exercises?
    Names of equipment?
    Let me know before I just start throwing out exercises to do and how much and how many.
    Also how many days will you be working out lifting weights? That will help me determine what and how many different exercises you can do.
    Let me know when u can and I'll,be glad to help,u out. Good luck
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to increase strength, generally a 4-6 rep per set is the norm. Using a beginner progressive lifting program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 would be a good start. They utilize compound lifts so you are working more than one muscle at a time for efficiency and best results for building strength. There are a ton of free programs at bodybuilders.com you can choose from also. I highly recommend using a proven program than "flying by the seat of your pants" for anybody who hasn't.
  • JDytmire
    JDytmire Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wound up following the Strong 5x5, and would do cardio or other light exercises in between just so I was still moving. Was doing great until work got in the way. I haven't been back to the gym, but I am exercising regularly at home with a Kettlebell. Hopefully one day, I'll be back in the gym
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    JDytmire wrote: »
    I wound up following the Strong 5x5, and would do cardio or other light exercises in between just so I was still moving. Was doing great until work got in the way. I haven't been back to the gym, but I am exercising regularly at home with a Kettlebell. Hopefully one day, I'll be back in the gym

If you can't get to the gym check out this thread community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    There are body weight programs you can do without a gym