Advice on using weight machines

Options
I have a questions about weight machines. I know absolutely nothing about using them and TBH I'm intimidated by the whole thing. I feel like I look like a lost child when I'm walking around in there. I don't know where to start. How many reps and sets, how do you know how much weight to put on the machine? I don't really know how to operate some of them. Do I just do one muscle group a session or can I break it up into multiples? I'm very confused but I really would like to incorporate some resistance training into my workouts, so I 'm not wasting my money for a gym membership on just using the elliptical lol. Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If possible, see if there is a staff member willing to walk you through how to adjust everything. I would not have known either without the dude who showed me how everything works.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to the gym and lifting weights a what are you trying to achieve? That's going to determine the answers to your questions.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Yes, please talk to someone at your gym and ask them to show you how the machines work, which areas they target, how to adjust them for your size, etc. Using the machines without proper instruction can get you injured.
  • lancejohnston523
    lancejohnston523 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Yes, please talk to someone at your gym and ask them to show you how the machines work, which areas they target, how to adjust them for your size, etc. Using the machines without proper instruction can get you injured.

I agree - talk to someone at the gym. Most people are happy to give advice just dont ask them in the middle of their workout/set. Good luck
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Definitely get help from a staff member. They should certainly show you how to operate the machines and I would expect them to give guidance on sets/reps etc. But if they don't do the latter then a basic rule of thumb is to select a weight that you can do between 8 and 12 reps with. I would typically do 3 sets on each machine I had selected. It takes a bit of trial and error to find the right weight. Err on the heavy side, because you can judge progress that way - if you start by only being able to do 8 reps then you can work up to doing 12 reps. Once you can do 12 you need to increase the weight. Of course this is different depending on whether your goal is strength, endurance or building muscle, but the 8-12 rep system seems to work pretty well for most who just want to get a bit fitter and stronger.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Start here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

It's a great resource for beginners in need of a program... and EVERY beginner needs a program to start with. Trying to make one on your own will lead to potential errors, injury, and frustration.
  • dTedecel
    dTedecel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Spend time in Youtube. Do you homework.