Rice cups

Does anyone eat the Minute Rice cups that are pre measured into 1 cup portions, you just put in the microwave for 1 minute. If so do they taste okay.
Thanks

Replies

• jessie747williams
    jessie747williams Posts: 22 Member
    jeprk7jbzg77.jpg
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    They work fine, the rice is ok, but the measurement is absolutely wrong. They claim a cup cooked. It is not even close. More like a half a cup. I could not figure out why. I wrote them and complained with a photo of their cup sitting inside a Pyrex measuring cup with space all around it and got a "thank you for your feedback blah, blah blah" reply.

End of microwave rice cups for me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    They are fine...a little dry, so much better mixed into a dish than eaten on their own.
    I use them when I need to quickly bulk up some leftovers like chili or stir-fry.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    I like to keep some of these for a quick meal. I don't use them a whole lot because they are overpriced (rice is SO cheap you are paying for the package) but I can see non-cooks or microwave only method of cooking people greatly helped with these. They offer immediate portion control so that's another plus.

They taste fine to me. I'm usually dumping other stuff over it to increase the volume of food.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I've no idea about the product you mention. For myself I prefer to weigh my foods rather than use some nominal cup or spoon size, I believe actual weights to be more accurate. All the best.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I've always used long cooking rice. I end up with four portions that I can microwave when I'm ready to use it.

I tasted quick cooking rice years back and just didn't care for it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I've always used long cooking rice. I end up with four portions that I can microwave when I'm ready to use it.

I tasted quick cooking rice years back and just didn't care for it.

Yes, I too didn't care for the taste of minute rice when last I tried it plus bulk rice is so much cheaper.

If I didn't have the half hour to make rice I'd make it when I did have the time and reheat it later.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    big fan of these as the come in different kinds of rice too. not cheap, but convenient for one serving and easy, quick meals. Will add to stir fry b/c as previously mentioned, it's a bit dry. will stock up when they are on sale.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    They work fine, the rice is ok, but the measurement is absolutely wrong. They claim a cup cooked. It is not even close. More like a half a cup. I could not figure out why. I wrote them and complained with a photo of their cup sitting inside a Pyrex measuring cup with space all around it and got a "thank you for your feedback blah, blah blah" reply.

End of microwave rice cups for me.
    125 g is a unit of weight, not volume. They are sold by weight and, as long as the weight is right, there's no legal problem.

Volume measurements are secondary and that's why so many items say that "some settling may occur during shipping" or something similar.

I get the white rice. It is packaged as 1 cup not 250g as the brown version shown. No idea where that product is sold. And the BS about settling means nothing.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I like them, they are super useful to have on hand.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    They taste ok, but I prefer to cook my own rice and pack my own portions. I prefer to pack my lunches with a bigger portion of vegetables and less rice than the cups have, so there's no convenience benefit to me.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    I wish I liked them (convenience), but I don't care for the taste. :/
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

I love them, super handy to have in the cupboard. I particularly like these..

1q96vydqqvvp.jpg

rpmtqaxrgbth.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    They're OK, but expensive, and I don't think they taste quite as good as home-cooked rice (nothing major, just kind of a meh flat taste, to me, comparatively a little cardboardy or something).

I'm not a huge rice-eater, but what I tend to do is cook a big batch, freeze it in portion-sized lumps (muffin tins work well, but freezing scoops on a cookie sheet or scored rectangles in a baking dish will work), then transfer the lumps into a bigger, more compact container once frozen solid. These microwave quickly, and taste better to me than the precooked shelf-stable kinds like the cups or packets.

The homemade version is pretty cheap, and also comes in all different kinds of grains, rices and combinations ;) .