Missed a birth control pill..

Options
Okay, so I missed a pill last week, and then a few days later I got my period and it's 2 weeks early. My friend told me that it happened to her before and that she skipped the rest of the pack and started a new pack after her period was over. My mom told me not to do that because the pills are expensive. I am on my 5th day of this period and I am still taking my pill daily. What should I do? I don't want to mess up my period anymore than it already is.

Replies

• jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • 123cat
    123cat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Call your DR. they know best! Then you don't have to keep worrying.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If you miss a day, you're supposed to take that pill, plus the next pill together. That will put you on schedule. You'll be messed up, but it will regulate again.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you miss a day, you're supposed to take that pill, plus the next pill together. That will put you on schedule. You'll be messed up, but it will regulate again.
    You are never suppose to take 2 pills that is dangerous!!!
    CALL YOUR DR.
  • kteeter
    kteeter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use an addition form of BC this month as well so you don't get any surprises! :)
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    If you miss a day you take it the next day along with your pill for that day, finish out your pack. You'll probably spot for a few days.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    ask the nurse or dr!!!
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I missed the "Thursday" pill and then I ended up taking that pill along with the "Friday" pill. I was spotting after that and then I had my regular period - It just began sooner than usual but it ended on the day that it usually does. I was a bit worried too but I got it under control as soon as I began taking my pills on schedule.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    CALL YOUR DR.

She is actually correct. It says to do that on any birth control pill packs I've seen.
  • Willow_28
    Options
    Def. call your dr. or health centre
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would read the package insert. It tells you what to do in the event of a missed pill.
  • Kristy144
    Options
    To be sure ask you GYNO what you should do.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think you are only suppose to throw the whole pack away when you miss 2 or maybe 3 days. Whenever I miss a day, I just take the pill as soon as I remember the next day.
  • Kristy144
    Options
    CALL YOUR DR.

It's not dangerous, thats what every Dr I have gone to says to do. Along with insert on pills.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use an addition form of BC this month as well so you don't get any surprises! :)

Exactly this! My oldest was a gift from the missed pill fairy. Call your doctor
  • fireflyangel22
    fireflyangel22 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of birth control pill you are on, but for most the package insert tells you to take 2 the next day. It also gives detailed explanations what to do if you miss more than one day. Either follow the package instructions or call your doctor. If there is a planned parenting center in your town you can call them also, as they have trained staff that can help answer your questions as well.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

This is what my doctor has told me to do, too.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    You can finish up that pill pack, just use protection if you have sex until you start your new pack just in case. You might spot an/or bleed through the rest of the pack. But things should straighten up on the next pack.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I missed a pill a couple of weeks ago. When I realized it, I just took the pill then. I normally take it around 9pm. I realized I didn't take it until about 9am the next morning. I didn't have any problems. I would call the dr and just see what they think you should do.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    CALL YOUR DR.

It's not dangerous, thats what every Dr I have gone to says to do. Along with insert on pills.

That's what my doctors have told me to and it says it on the package to take them together- at least the one that I take do.