Eating healthy is privilege of the rich?

Options

Replies

• honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It can, for sure. However, the other day, I just got 3 bananas for $0.50. Compare that to a bag of doritos at $3.50 or so, and not so much. Not buying drinks (except for soymilk), and drinking water eliminates juice budgets, soda budget, etc. Portion control, or eating hte right amount as opposed to too much, can also decrease costs. It really depends on how you shop. I try to shop in season for certain fruits and vegetables, which makes them cheaper. And always looking for sales. For me, food is the one place where I don't cheap out. I want the healthy options. It's going to cost me a lot less in the future with health care costs!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I would not say its a privilege of the rich, but I do agree that those in poverty cannot afford to eat healthy food. To make meals that will feed their entire family, they must resort to processed foods that can be stretched (hamburger or tuna helper, ramen noodles, mac-n-cheese, etc.) My budget is stretched to the limit keeping us in fresh fruits, veggies and low-fat meats - and we don't buy chips and other snacky processed foods.

I couldn't disagree more. Cooking your own is cheaper but a lot of people can't be bothered these days. And I speak from my own experience growing up not from an ivory tower.

I find it soooo much easier to stretch a pot of chili that I can make for under ten dollars (serves about 12 ginormous servings) than a box of mac and cheese which is over a tenth of the price... And chili can be things other than chili....macaroni and cheese can't. I find it so much cheaper... not only because of the money we spend on groceries, but because of the money we don't spend on eating out.

ETA: Your freezer is your friend if you really want to stretch your food budget... it totally eliminates the need for prepackaged lunches. :)
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    I disagree...when one buys the packaged "health" foods and low-fat this and that, etc. it is much more expensive, yes. BUT some of the most healthy foods are the least expensive. Such as, dried grains and beans, in-season vegetables and fruit, chicken, shrimp, etc.

This completely.

I buy chicken breast in bulk pkg on sale for .99/lb. A serving is 4oz. That's ~.25 a serving. A giant pkg of field greens on sale is ~$4-5 and lasts me at least 3-4 days if I have two salads a day. I grow my own tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini ( initial cost about $30 for plants) and they produce abundantly all summer long with plenty to share with friends and neighbors. Seasonings run me about $2 a jar and last ages. I buy mushrooms on sale and get other veggies at the farmers market. Dried bulk beans, nuts, rice, etc are a helluva lot cheaper than any packaged box meal out there and a lb will last for a long long time. I do spen a bit more on Greek yogurt but, once again, buy it cheaply ( trader joes for ~4 for a huge container that lasts me a week). I can easily feed myself wholesome and nutrient dense meals every single day for a fraction of what it would cost to poison my body with processed convenience foods.

I want to do cucumbers and zuchini but I am afraid they will fail. What kind of climate are you in?
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I disagree...when one buys the packaged "health" foods and low-fat this and that, etc. it is much more expensive, yes. BUT some of the most healthy foods are the least expensive. Such as, dried grains and beans, in-season vegetables and fruit, chicken, shrimp, etc.

This completely.

I buy chicken breast in bulk pkg on sale for .99/lb. A serving is 4oz. That's ~.25 a serving. A giant pkg of field greens on sale is ~$4-5 and lasts me at least 3-4 days if I have two salads a day. I grow my own tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini ( initial cost about $30 for plants) and they produce abundantly all summer long with plenty to share with friends and neighbors. Seasonings run me about $2 a jar and last ages. I buy mushrooms on sale and get other veggies at the farmers market. Dried bulk beans, nuts, rice, etc are a helluva lot cheaper than any packaged box meal out there and a lb will last for a long long time. I do spen a bit more on Greek yogurt but, once again, buy it cheaply ( trader joes for ~4 for a huge container that lasts me a week). I can easily feed myself wholesome and nutrient dense meals every single day for a fraction of what it would cost to poison my body with processed convenience foods.

I want to do cucumbers and zuchini but I am afraid they will fail. What kind of climate are you in?

I live in Sacramento if that helps. :D

Seriously, Zucchini, Tomato and Cucumber are about the easiest veggies out there to grow. I've never ever ever done a vegetable garden prior to this year and I seriously underestimated how much they would produce so I bought a few of each plant and now I'm giving away tons of veggies because I just can't eat them all fast enough.
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    I am in Tahoe. So, this year it snowed until June as you may be aware (grrrr). Maybe I will try starting some indoors. I have had luck with berries and same thing, I have so freaking many.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    I would have to agree. But i will do anything to lose weight and be healthy - now if i can just stop smoking - but that is another question
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    Disagree completely. Shopping is expensive as you make it.

You could invest in a few seeds and grow your own fruit and veg to cut down costs. Granted junk food is cheap, but so is fruit! It's just junk food tastes soooooo much better when you feel rubbish :)
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you depend on a grocery store for your food. Gardening, foraging, and hunting are skills everyone should know in my opinion.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    It depends on what kinds of foods you are trying to buy, and the quantity of them you are buying. So I guess its a bit of yes and no at the same time.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Our grocery bill has been cut in half since we're not eating a lot of frozen/pre-packaged meals.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to be RICH to eat healthfully. I think most of us can find affordable ways to eat well. I do, however, think that it is very difficult for those who live below the poverty line and that's a shame.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I would not say its a privilege of the rich, but I do agree that those in poverty cannot afford to eat healthy food. To make meals that will feed their entire family, they must resort to processed foods that can be stretched (hamburger or tuna helper, ramen noodles, mac-n-cheese, etc.) My budget is stretched to the limit keeping us in fresh fruits, veggies and low-fat meats - and we don't buy chips and other snacky processed foods.

I couldn't disagree more. Cooking your own is cheaper but a lot of people can't be bothered these days. And I speak from my own experience growing up not from an ivory tower.

An edit to my post: I do cook my own now and I'm spending way more than I used to.

I'm sorry but in that case you're not shopping very smart.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    disagree. Granted, I live in California so what is considered rich here tends to be much higher than a lot of places, but I would think one would have to be very poor and/or unable to cook to be unable to afford healthy food.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    buy in bulk and buy a foodsaver. in the beginning it is a bit more expensive, but after the build up in your freezer it becomes cheaper.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt that eating healthier is more expensive. Frozen meat vs fresh meat. The price difference is quite a lot. As you'd expect. Processed food can be sold cheaper as it has a much longer shelf life than fresh.

Still, if you CAN afford it, its worth it.
    There may not be any doubt in your mind that eating "healthier" is more expensive but my life does not bear that out.

Could you be so good as to share why you're so convinced.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    Eating healthily is sooo expensive in the UK compared to other countries! I used to live with some spanish girls who couldn't believe how expensive fruit and veg and fresh fish is over here. They said healthy food is cheaper over there!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt that eating healthier is more expensive. Frozen meat vs fresh meat. The price difference is quite a lot. As you'd expect. Processed food can be sold cheaper as it has a much longer shelf life than fresh.

Still, if you CAN afford it, its worth it.
    There may not be any doubt in your mind that eating "healthier" is more expensive but my life does not bear that out.

Could you be so good as to share why you're so convinced.

I agree with the second poster in these quotes.

To the first person, what do you mean by "frozen" meat? Do you just mean fresh meat that has been frozen?
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Isn't it interesting that for every poster who agrees, there's another that does not agree? Perhaps it all has to do with where we each started and where we're each heading. Without knowing the specifics of one's budget and eating habits, past and present, it is impossible to gauge oneself against another. We each carry our own truths.
  • moprincess76
    Options
    I havent seen that dramatic of a difference in my grocery budget.. I stopped buying the soda, frozen quick dinners, chips, popcorn, snack cakes and well garbage foods, and started buying more fruits, veggies, and better meats and it has balanced out.. Hit your sales.. hit your farmers markets, collect coupons to use on non food items so you have that extra for groceries... I can feed my family ( when all are home) on a hundred dollars a week. for food and non food items.. when my man is gone.. i can feed myself and 3 kids for about 60-70 a week..... and im FAR from rich... just ask my bank... =)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Hi my names Zara. I'm finding I'm spending less than I used to. The salad, fruit and veg is expensive, but I'm eating much less meat. This has made a huge difference. I'm also not snacking, eating takeaways, drinking expensive fizzy drinks or going out to eat as much. I also check on the internet for the best deals from the supermarkets for the fruit and vegetables that week and shop around, takes a little more effort but is definately worth it. The other thing I do is cook up lots of things in bulk, as I find out it doesn't cost much more to double what your making, I then fridge or freeze it. This cuts down on expense and time. I cook all my food myself too. Putting the time and effort in to planning what your eating also works out cheaper, because you write a shopping list for what you need and stick to it. I'm definately spending much less and eating really well, and really good food. Zara