Stomach Cramping from Hell 😢

Options
My wife and I have been doing the Atkins diet now for 3 months. Both of us having major success doing so. She is down 30 and I am down 62. (Started at 395). All of a sudden in the past 2 weeks, now today for a 3rd time, I have had some pretty intense stomach cramps and even constipation. 3 times in 2 weeks. Anyone else experience this while doing the LC lifestyle? I use to have this all the time when eating like total crap, but this is the first experiences with it since starting our lifestyle changes in May.

Thanks

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you’ve developed an intolerance of something you’re eating a lot of now?

I developed an intolerance of red peppers for a while when I was doing Atkins, but after avoiding them for a couple of years I was able to slowly reintroduce them to my diet.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Is it possible that you’ve developed an intolerance of something you’re eating a lot of now?

I developed an intolerance of red peppers for a while when I was doing Atkins, but after avoiding them for a couple of years I was able to slowly reintroduce them to my diet.

I have had more cheese in the past few weeks than I normally do, and of course I know the possibility of cheese causing constipation. Just seems odd that all of a sudden this is happening again after nearly 3 months without.

My plan is to eliminate cheese altogether for the next 7-10 days and up water intake some.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm not on any special diet except keeping to 1200 cals- although I am on anti-depressants for whom constipation is a side effect. If I get really bunged up, particularly around ovulation time, I get horrible period pain like cramps after a mile or two of jogging. I'm experimenting with the very judicial use of laxatives. Does definitely help. If constipation is the issue, you need to try to increase your insoluble fibre, drink more water and stay active. If it continues, speak to your doctor.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

I have had more cheese in the past few weeks than I normally do, and of course I know the possibility of cheese causing constipation. Just seems odd that all of a sudden this is happening again after nearly 3 months without.

My plan is to eliminate cheese altogether for the next 7-10 days and up water intake some.

i used to have lactose intolerance - you might consider eliminating dairy in general for a few days, then adding one thing back at a time.

i suddenly developed wheat intolerance in my early 40s - worst pain i've ever had, and i've been hit by a car as a pedestrian and given birth. perhaps this or gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance or another food?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Options
    How much fiber are you eating?
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    How much fiber are you eating?

Varies from day to day. I can honestly say, not enough.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Take some Metamucil and if it persists see a dr
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    @TheOldBallCoach43420

Try to determine if the abdominal pain happens after eating a particular food group (diary, grains, fats, etc.). With aggressive wt loss like yours, the pancreas sometimes may be affected, or if you have been eating too much fat, your gallbladder may be upset.

As other recommended the best thing is to see your primary physician. He may order a blood test to check if your pancreatic and liver enzymes are within normal values (metabolic panel). It would be beneficial to take to your doctor's appointment a copy of your food log so he can see what and how much you are eating. Hope that you get well very soon.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have had to up my fiber, I do low carb so I have some brand cerael, also 400 mg magnesium. I was about to give up and like you I did well with low carb just the constipation problem but now I dont have it, been doing this for a year.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you used to get this frequently. What do you think or know the cause then?
    Summary: you used to get this, didn’t for 2 months, and have it again. You’re eating more cheese and not enough water or fiber, along with a very steep deficit. You’ve actually identified several issues that could be contributing to the cramping.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My dad went low carb and ended up with some pretty severe constipation. He was not eating enough fat and he also stopped drinking diet Dr pepper, which was probably the only thing keeping things moving.

He ended up using a saline enema. I didn't want this kind of detail from my dad, but... Anyway, are you confident you are getting enough fat in your low carb diet?

I doubt it is lactose intolerance, it creates the opposite problem, mild to violent diarrhea, depending on the severity and exposure.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    What are some of the extremely low carb foods that some of you like that contain high fiber?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    There aren't many. Peanuts, almonds, berries.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I went from someone who loved their milk and things like shredded wheat to being in absolute agony for days literally overnight.

Through a process of elimination i think i'm suddenly intollerant of lactose and some wheat
    Was fine one day, next day (having felt not well and deciding to eat cereal for a day) i couldn't move

I've had to stop both. It's shocking how quickly these things can come on. Try either adding more fibre but try and go a few days without one item and use an elimination diet to figure out what's triggering you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it could be an intolerance, lack of fiber, or not enough fat, or not enough hydration.
    Here is a list of high fiber, low carb foods
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What are some of the extremely low carb foods that some of you like that contain high fiber?

Are you going by total carbs or net carbs?