Cooked veggies

Options
Will cooked veggies stay good in the fridge for 3 days. If yes is there any that wont.
Thanks

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    yep, up to 3-5 days usually. If I haven't eaten them by day 4, they are usually tossed.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    They absolutely will. Just package them up well. I typically use root veggies and keep them up to 5 days. Leafy veggies are another matter. They will just get mushy.
  • itsjessiewilliams
    itsjessiewilliams Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The veggies I want to know are:
    Brocolli
    Carrots
    Peppers
    Onions
    Cauliflower
    Mushrooms

Thanks
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Mushrooms are a no. You could still use them but, in my experience, they'll have a funky flavor.

What cooking method are you using? Are the veggies al dente when you're done?
  • itsjessiewilliams
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Mushrooms are a no. You could still use them but, in my experience, they'll have a funky flavor.

What cooking method are you using? Are the veggies al dente when you're done?

They will be boiled until yes still some crunch.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Yeah, everything but the mushrooms.
  • itsjessiewilliams
    Options
    Is there a certain way i would have to cool them down. I was going to cook them a bit then let strain for a bit to get as much water off them as possible then put them in dishes in the fridge without lids until 100% cold then lid them. Is that okay.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    I let all my veggies cool on the counter, then refrigerate in the closed containers. I put them on the top shelf of the fridge. That's the warmest part of your fridge and that way, any remaining heat won't affect the other foods in your fridge.
  • itsjessiewilliams
    Options
    I let all my veggies cool on the counter, then refrigerate in the closed containers. I put them on the top shelf of the fridge. That's the warmest part of your fridge and that way, any remaining heat won't affect the other foods in your fridge.

What about rice and potatoes. Thanks
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Same method.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain way i would have to cool them down. I was going to cook them a bit then let strain for a bit to get as much water off them as possible then put them in dishes in the fridge without lids until 100% cold then lid them. Is that okay.

I would not put them in the fridge without lids. They'll pick up flavors from other stuff, and spread their flavors to other things. And I have my doubts that it's a good food safety practice.

What about rice and potatoes. Thanks

Don't let your rice sit out on the counter to cool. There are bacteria spores in raw rice that can survive the cooking process, and then develop into the bacteria which give off toxins (which can not be eliminated through reheating), which will give you food poisoning. Put in a wide/long enough container for the rice to be in a fairly shallow layer, and refrigerate as soon as possible. Again, with the lid on. (Why let whatever germs are floating around in your refrigerator land on the rice as it goes from warm to tepid to cool, so they can multiply there until the rice is cold?)

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    Most veg will be fine. If you cook mushrooms in butter/oil they'll be mushy. I usually roast them with a quick spray of olive oil and they're fine for two days. Cooked leafy greens like spinach and bok choy aren't as good as leftovers. I usually cook a batch of vegetables and portion out over a couple days and only leafy greens aren't worth it. Just don't overheat. Potatoes and rice are fine.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    After taking Servsafe for culinary school, the only veggie I was ever very leery over was cooked potatoes. It's listed as growing bacteria at a very fast rate and one of the number one causes of food poisoning. It's the only one I wouldn't chance. Other than that, almost all veggies hold in refrigeration for at least four days after cooked.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    After taking Servsafe for culinary school, the only veggie I was ever very leery over was cooked potatoes. It's listed as growing bacteria at a very fast rate and one of the number one causes of food poisoning. It's the only one I wouldn't chance. Other than that, almost all veggies hold in refrigeration for at least four days after cooked.

That’s interesting and one I’ve not come across. I’ll be checking that one out! My daughter is a bit of a potato salad fan, I make it regularly for her (using two thirds Skyr and a third Mayo as dressing, because whilst she doesn’t struggle with weight gain - quite the opposite!) I just think that has got to be healthier anyway! That definitely sits for 3 or maybe 4 days in the fridge before she finishes it up.

The one I have a thing about is rice, I’m definitely extra careful with that.

I’m assuming the reason for wanting to store cooked veg for days is for plan ahead meal prep? Otherwise I’m wondering why you’d want to do it. Broccoli in particular wouldn’t hold up well for me. I like it ultra crunchy and emerald green. I’d think even kept cool it would be a bit too mushy and olive green after a day or so. If it’s not for meal prep, it takes less than 5 mins to cook fresh when you want it 🤷‍♀️
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you do with them after they are cooked. If they sit on the dinner table for an hour then to the kitchen, probably not. If promptly bagged and refrigerated, probably ok.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @BarbaraHelen2013

Wilson10102018 is right, if it's getting refrigerated properly, (quick cool down) not setting out at room temperature, it's fine for a couple of days. Potato salad and baked potatoes do have a very fast rate and come in at top...because they're left out on potluck tables and baked potato bars, restaurants not controlling proper temperatures. But because of that fast rate...I get a little worried after a couple of days.

I do throw almost all veggies (and meats) out on the fourth or fifth day, just because food poisoning is not worth the risk.

I agree, I like a lot of my veggies crispy, especially broccoli. I pre-chop and prep my raw veggies in advance.