How do you deal with being hangry?

Good day all! What are your tips for dealing with being hangry? I'd like to think I'm an upstanding wife/mom when fasting, but let's face it, there isn't enough pragmatism to keep me out of that next Snickers commercial. Thanks!

Replies

• lancejohnston523
    lancejohnston523 Posts: 60 Member
    Drink alot of water - I am talking about 1 gallon or more a day. Decaff coffee or unsweet tea help curb the hunger. Also if you stay real busy you are less likely to think about food
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    How long have you been fasting? Perhaps it isn't the best tool for you?

I generally fast until around 1pm, but if I am feeling hangry, or even genuinely hungry, I will break my fast early, with nuts or something similar. Today I will be running errands all afternoon, so I will make sure I have appropriate foods in the car with me to break the fast with.
  • amybuckle6973
    amybuckle6973 Posts: 20 Member
    Hahaha I love this post. I know exactly how you feel. Little one is currently going through a leap so lots of feeding.. and crying (that's just from me 😂) so I just wanted to eat everything I sight!
    As above said I drink loads of water and keeping busy is my main one if I'm in the house all day I'm terrible just thinking about food. Also make some nice snacks for yourself so you dont reach ultimate.. I'm starving phase!x
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    What is the purpose of your fasting?

If it’s just to limit food/calorie intake for weight loss, could you switch up the timing or have a planned 100cal snack just before you usually get hungry? Or plan to break the fast an hour earlier

If it’s for religious reasons, is the fasting intended to go along with meditation/prayer or other spiritual disciplines? If so maybe it’s not ideal to keep up with all of the usual activities to allow time for rest and contemplation.

Either way, do as much as you can to prevent whatever is making you hangry. Plan simple meals or do advanced prep (chopping veggies, browning meat, measuring out spices or other ingredients) to make the first meal after the fast easy to prepare. Have activities or equipment for the kids ready to go. Keep up and stay ahead with laundry and dishes or whatever causes the most stress. Have your grocery list ready, don’t let the car get below 1/2 tank, always have a phone charger handy. Basically all the things that make a Mom’s day run smoothly become even more important to prevent meltdown- yours and theirs 🤣
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Does anyone know if the physiology behind 'hangry' is understood?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,259 Member
    I seldom get hangry because I make a point to eat three meals a day with substantial snacks in between and before bedtime.

If I’m really hungry, it’s generally dehydration and I feel better after having a glass of water, possibly adding a Nuun (electrolyte) tablet.

I can only remember being “hangry” a couple of times. I demolished four ounces of homemade beef jerky the last time, so it could have been worse. Could have been my old nemesis, a family sized sack of M&Ms. it’s all relative.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If fasting made me hangry, I wouldn't fast.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

I don't think "hangry" is a defined term that would require an explanation, is it? It's just being irritable because you're hungry, as far as I know. Which for me is how I know I'm actually hungry and need food.

As to the OP, if you just started a fasting schedule and are trying to get used to it, I find a cup of coffee can sometimes blur my appetite a little, and just try to keep busy. If after a week or so this is still a struggle, I would suggest that the fasting schedule you've chosen isn't right for you and you should rethink your plan. Fasting should make sticking to your calories easier, not harder :smile:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If fasting made me hangry, I wouldn't fast.

This.
    Good day all! What are your tips for dealing with being hangry? I'd like to think I'm an upstanding wife/mom when fasting, but let's face it, there isn't enough pragmatism to keep me out of that next Snickers commercial. Thanks!

What does your fasting have to do with the bolded? If fasting makes you hangry, either change your fasting schedule or don't fast. I find that I do best when I eat 5-6 times per day. I don't do that because anyone said to, but that is just the best way for me deal with hunger and craving snacks/sweets. Losing weight is only about eating fewer calories than you burn, there are dozens of ways to accomplish that.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

For what is worth:
    https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/science-hangry-or-why-some-people-get-grumpy-when-they-re-hungry/all/