Total Gym: thoughts from users (current or former :)

Options
My husband was looking into one. And I think it would be a good addition to my current routine (Zumba 3 days a week and lifting three days a week) I thought it would be a good "toning" workout in the morning of my Zumba days (My classes are in evening).

I like that its body weight resistance versus "jane fonda" type floor exercises.

Any opinions (good or bad would be appreciated) Thanks!

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought one but i don't know if he has used it yet LOL
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    A great body weight resistance program would be Insanity. And my favorite lifting workout is P90X. My husband and I can do both programs in our family room together without taking up a lot of space. The total gym would take up too much space in my house. If you think it would not collect dust then maybe it will work for you. Whatever equipment or program that you can stick to is the best program.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Total gyms are great if you want to work specific muscles. Free weights (dumbbells, barbells, stability balls, bands, tubes, etc) are good if you want to work multiple muscles. It really is about individual preference. Personally, I prefer free weights. Portable, easy to store, don't take up much space, great variety, less boredom factor ... the list goes on.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have on which has been sitting in the closet for years. I used it for a while, a long time ago. It's certainly better than nothing, but it's easy to grow out of it. If you guys are serious about home strength training, and plan to keep at it for a good long while, I would recommend looking into dumbbells and a bench.
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have one, and honestly I have only used it a handful of times. I just feel like I dont get as hard of a workout from it as other exercises. Once I start using it, I feel like I get bored with it easily, thats just my opinion ;)
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I like mine. I bought it from someone on Craigslist for $20. At the highest setting it uses half your body weight. So you can sit on it and push off of the floor and it's the same as doing leg presses of half your weight.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I bought it from someone on Craigslist for $20. At the highest setting it uses half your body weight. So you can sit on it and push off of the floor and it's the same as doing leg presses of half your weight.

That's actually my main criticism. You can just as well do regular old squats without any machine or weights. For leg exercises like squats or leg presses, most people (yes, including women), can handle a lot more weight than half their body weight. It's hard to do 6-12 reps to failure on the total gym unless you are a complete beginner, and even then, you will grow out of it quickly.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have one too. Up until recently the best workout I got from it was putting it together and dragging it up stairs. I'm doing P90x and I'm using it to do pull ups. I really like it for that.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    SHHHHH!!!!!! If The Chuck Norris hears you guys, you'll be in big trouble!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options

That's actually my main criticism. You can just as well do regular old squats without any machine or weights. For leg exercises like squats or leg presses, most people (yes, including women), can handle a lot more weight than half their body weight. It's hard to do 6-12 reps to failure on the total gym unless you are a complete beginner, and even then, you will grow out of it quickly.

I am *SO* beginner. X-D My legs burn when I do 35 reps.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've had a bowflex for years and after first putting it in the basement I stopped using it for a year. Then I moved it to a spare bedroom right down the hall from my master and now I use it 3 times a week and every time I walk by the room it gets me motivated seeing gym equipment in the house. I think it's seeing it all the time that helps me use it. When it was in the basement I'd just forget about it.
  • katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it. :)
  • timboman365
    timboman365 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap knockoff (Weider Bodyworks 5000) and LOVE IT!!! The main thing is to not get bored and change-it up to however your feel. I try to stay on it for 45 minutes and use 2lb dumbells 20lb dumbells 10lb medicine ball and even a 36lb kettelbell to mix things up. I track my calories burned on a Polar Heart Rate Monitor so I'm determined not to cheat. Good music is key to stay motivated. There have been many times I was going to stop when a good song would come on and I would get in an extra 20 minutes without even knowing it. Great strengh and Cardio workout. Also look on youtube for creative ideas.
    ts