Walking 30min good exercise?

My question is if I walk 30 min everyday will that help me stay in shape? I just don’t want to be sitting around all day and eating. If I walk 30 min a day everyday would that be good enough exercise? I can’t do anything excessive due to medical reasons.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Walking will be heart healthy, and will help your muscles, and may lift your spirits as well !
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Walking at all is a good thing. Only you can say whether that would be enough to keep you in shape.
  • ArtsyBrainz
    ArtsyBrainz Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks! I’m trying to gain weight while also have small amount of exercise to stay in shape while I gain. That’s why I wanted to know if it would keep my body healthy while I’m gaining weight :)

@corinasue1143
    @LyndaBSS
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2019
    See replies in this thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10759436/walking-30-min-good-exercise#latest

@ArtsyBrainz, you may want to ask for this thread to be closed as you are getting a variety of advice without people knowing your situation.
    One thread (the above) will get you feedback.

Even though I gave feedback on the above thread, this was before you disclosed you were working with a medical team.

You really should consult with them about the allowable amount of exercise you can do while working on gaining weight.

Cheers, h.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Walking for 30 minutes will help keep your heart healthy and help with digestion and improve your mood if you’re walking outside. I don’t know if it will make you feel thin but probably less bloated. If you are trying to gain weight, you’d need to eat your exercise calories back. If you are working with a doctor, you should consult with her about your overall plan including exercise.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Momjogger wrote: »
    Walking for 30 minutes will help keep your heart healthy and help with digestion and improve your mood if you’re walking outside. I don’t know if it will make you feel thin but probably less bloated. If you are trying to gain weight, you’d need to eat your exercise calories back. If you are working with a doctor, you should consult with her about your overall plan including exercise.

All people who are following MFP’s calorie goal need to eat their exercise calories back.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2019
    Walking is awesome. Burns some calories, heart healthy, good for mental health, great for back health, an opportunity to be outside, and opportunity to zone out or have some "me" time, and you can do it every day or even multiple times a day because the recovery time is short. Many people don't appreciate how awesome of an exercise it is just because it doesn't burn as many calories as some other exercises. It's actually a good fit for you specifically because it doesn't burn as many calories as some other exercises, it will be easier to eat the calories back than, say, running.
  • dignow96
    dignow96 Posts: 66 Member
    When I first started out with MFP and decided to get serious about losing the weight and getting in better shape all I could do was walk. It took weeks before I could get over a mile at a pop but by the end of last year (12 months in) I was up to about 10 miles a day. At first, I was moving like you would through the mall - about a 20min/mi pace. Now I usually annoy people who are with me if we're not exercising as I still move at around 15min/mi pace just walking around. I've even started incorporating some running. More recently, I've cut the cardio back to 4mi/5 days/week (walk home from work) and added in some serious strength training to add muscle mass. Point to all that being - that by just walking and tracking my meals I was able to make a significant improvement in my overall health and get back to a point that my HS athlete self wouldn't be quite so disappointed with me. Of course, your personal preferences and medical issues can all impact the intensity of your workout but even at just a stroll around the block level, I'm a big fan of walking. Side note and just a personal issue - I can NOT do it on a treadmill. I can walk for hours on end outside but would rather chew off my own legs then spend time on a treadmill.
  • ArtsyBrainz
    ArtsyBrainz Posts: 112 Member
    @middlehaitch

Thanks! Yes they allow me to walk I’ve already talked to them about it but that’s why I am eating more than what’s usual :)

@Momjogger
    @apullum
    @amusedmonkey
    @dignow96

This is very insightful and motivating! Thank you for all the replies! :) I hope to get back to running soon!