Most accurate macro calculator?

Options
My results really vary from calculator to calculator, and I want to make sure my macro count is the most accurate for maintenance. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you mean by accurate? People have all sorts of macro ratios, it's a personal preference for satiety and adherance, for weight management as long as you have your calorie intake on point you should be able to stay within a maintenance range.

The MFP default macros are fine and should cover the minimum recommended amounts for Protein and Fat, how much more of those you have over carbs is as I said mostly personal preference.

If there's something else that I'm missing (i.e. a certain type of diet you're trying to follow) then please clarify.

• jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    By “accurate” I mean best for my body type and goals. So whether I choose a macro plan that is higher in fat by ratio or high in carbs is my personal preference?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If you are trying to retain or build muscle, typical recommendation is per lean body mass or goalweight/bodyweight (if maintaining):
    Protein: 0.8 to 1g
    Fats: 0.35 to 0.6g
    Carbs: The rest

Keep in mind these are minimums and can be adjusted to personal preference

• jiggyj9
    Options
    Thanks sardelsa! I’m trying to maintain/recomp over time. I’m pretty happy with where I’m at. I have days where I feel like I want to bulk and days where I feel like I want to cut, so I think it’s best for my sanity to maintain. Lol. I do know that I prefer a diet higher in fat than carbs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jiggyj9 wrote: »
    Thanks sardelsa! I’m trying to maintain/recomp over time. I’m pretty happy with where I’m at. I have days where I feel like I want to bulk and days where I feel like I want to cut, so I think it’s best for my sanity to maintain. Lol. I do know that I prefer a diet higher in fat than carbs.

As long as you get minimum protein and fat, you can adjust. I like around 0.7g per lb of fat I just adjust the remaining carbs to fill my intake.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    jiggyj9 wrote: »
    By “accurate” I mean best for my body type and goals. So whether I choose a macro plan that is higher in fat by ratio or high in carbs is my personal preference?

Pretty much. If as you say you prefer Fat over carbs, from the default tweak the carbs down and fat up a tad.

The default MFP ratio is 50C/20P/30F.

Protein = 4 cals per gram
    Carbs = 4 cals per gram
    Fat = 9 cals per gram

Lets use the average 2000 cal intake for a healthy weight average female that is used to work out recommendations in the UK:

That would be:
    • 250 grams of carbs/1000 calories
    • 100 grams of protein/ 400 calories
    • 66.7 grams of Fat/600 calories

So if you found fat more satiating than carbs and you're planning on recomp, you might consider bumping up the fat and your protein to help with muscle maintenance/building and tweak as you go.

Maybe starting with 35C/25C/40F, which for same average female would be:
    • 175 grams of carbs/700 calories
    • 125 grams of protein/500 calories
    • 88.9 grams of fat/800 calories

So for the "average" female lets give her stats of 5'4 & 140lbs & moderate exercise with body fat of 25% which would put her Lean Body Mass at 105 pounds.

Both would exceed the minimum nutritional recommendations, as @sardelsa posted above.

Protein: 84-105 grams (0.8-1g x LBM)
        Fat: 37 - 63 grams (0.35-0.6G x LBM)

Also bear in mind as you add exercise your macro grams requirements will adjust with your calories accordingly. I tend to just focus on getting the Protein & Fat I want in and then let the rest lie as it may, particularly if I am training hard.
    • jiggyj9
      Options
      Very helpful tinkerbellang83. Thank you!
    • MohsenSALAH
      MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
      Options
      Putting calories and macros under trial is the best way to find how accurate it is. Same numbers doesn't apply to everyone
    • lonnie2086
      lonnie2086 Posts: 4 Member
      edited August 2019
      Options
      I need help with my calories and macros. I’m 6’1 33 years old 172 pounds. I lost 30 pounds and now wanna tone. I was consuming 1500ish calories a day. What should my calories be with Marcos?