Health related weight loss question

Until a few years ago, I was generally a healthy weight. I was an athlete in high school and (division 3) college. I started gaining weight at an alarming pace and noticed I didn't have the same level of fitness I enjoyed before. My doctor and I (I have a graduate degree in biomedical engineering) kind of thought I was just slacking off and needed to get back on track. I went from 200 to 300 lbs in 4 years.

One day I was feeling very poorly and ended up in the hospital. After four days of poking and prodding, turns out I have a serious heart condition that usually kills people before they graduate high school, but I made it this far. I have significant issues with my liver and my thyroid due to my heart not moving enough blood through my body, but both of them have generally been addressed well enough that they should not be an issue with my weight.

(Okay, so my endocrinologist is less than convinced, but thinks I should be able to lose weight if that's really what I want to focus on.)

My doctors are real doctors that work at some of the best hospitals and medical schools in the country. They are qualified to solve my issues, but can't.

I vomit quite frequently, like 5 to 6 days a week. All my doctors, principally my gastroenterologist are focused on finding out why. Problem is, due to my heart condition, he's terrified to touch me. The problem is that I keep gaining weight.

I have been imaged so much that the only places that haven't been touched by either an MRI or X-Ray CT scan are my arms and legs. As a guy that spent his entire time in grad school doing research involving imaging, I can't see anything wrong with me.

Sometimes I think I'm making all this up. My doctors assure me this is not the case.

I only eat 1.5 meals a day at most, but I've gained over 4 pounds in two days after eating nearly nothing and vomiting it up right away.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. I'm out of ideas. My doctors are out of ideas. Anybody have any?

Thanks.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You haven't mentioned an internist.

• kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    dunno, maybe you are deep sleep eater(you eat while asleep). And after eating in sleep you dont vomit it. Dunno its divination at this point for me. Check your fridge carefully after night.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    If the situation is continuing to get worse, and the doctors in your area are not able to help you, you may have to travel to get help. It sounds like you are in the U.S. For cases where all other local options have been exhausted, The Mayo Clinic might be an option for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Until a few years ago, I was generally a healthy weight. I was an athlete in high school and (division 3) college. I started gaining weight at an alarming pace and noticed I didn't have the same level of fitness I enjoyed before. My doctor and I (I have a graduate degree in biomedical engineering) kind of thought I was just slacking off and needed to get back on track. I went from 200 to 300 lbs in 4 years.

One day I was feeling very poorly and ended up in the hospital. After four days of poking and prodding, turns out I have a serious heart condition that usually kills people before they graduate high school, but I made it this far. I have significant issues with my liver and my thyroid due to my heart not moving enough blood through my body, but both of them have generally been addressed well enough that they should not be an issue with my weight.

(Okay, so my endocrinologist is less than convinced, but thinks I should be able to lose weight if that's really what I want to focus on.)

My doctors are real doctors that work at some of the best hospitals and medical schools in the country. They are qualified to solve my issues, but can't.

I vomit quite frequently, like 5 to 6 days a week. All my doctors, principally my gastroenterologist are focused on finding out why. Problem is, due to my heart condition, he's terrified to touch me. The problem is that I keep gaining weight.

I have been imaged so much that the only places that haven't been touched by either an MRI or X-Ray CT scan are my arms and legs. As a guy that spent his entire time in grad school doing research involving imaging, I can't see anything wrong with me.

Sometimes I think I'm making all this up. My doctors assure me this is not the case.

I only eat 1.5 meals a day at most, but I've gained over 4 pounds in two days after eating nearly nothing and vomiting it up right away.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. I'm out of ideas. My doctors are out of ideas. Anybody have any?

Thanks.

I can't help other than to say that to the bolded it is impossible to gain 4 pounds of fat eating and vomiting in the way you described. You can't gain fat without enough calories to create it and 4 pounds would require a surplus of 14000 calories over the 2 days. I would say it has to be mostly water weight but I am uncomfortable commenting on your situation because I lack the expertise.

@NovusDies was it you on another thread (today?) who said some time back you gained a crazy amount of water weight due to a medical issue?
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    I'm no doctor. But really fast weight gain as you describe could mean your heart problems are worsening. If you aren't getting satisfaction from your current doctors, do look elsewhere for additional input.

https://www.cardiosmart.org/~/media/Documents/Fact Sheets/en/zp3773.ashx

This addresses sudden weight gain when you have heart problems and how to monitor it. And I seriously hope they find out what's wrong quickly and you can get back to life.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Thanks.

I can't help other than to say that to the bolded it is impossible to gain 4 pounds of fat eating and vomiting in the way you described. You can't gain fat without enough calories to create it and 4 pounds would require a surplus of 14000 calories over the 2 days. I would say it has to be mostly water weight but I am uncomfortable commenting on your situation because I lack the expertise.

@NovusDies was it you on another thread (today?) who said some time back you gained a crazy amount of water weight due to a medical issue?

I am not sure mine is a medical issue. My doctor seems to think it is about the massive weight loss. However, I have experienced on 2 occasions a 15+ pound water gain while eating maintenance for 4+ days. One was a diet break over Thanksgiving and the other was a vacation.
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    I would make sure your cardiologist is aware that you gained 4lbs in 2 days. I'm sorry for what you're going through and hope it all works out for you.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,600 Member
    Do you have ademia.? Are your legs swelling and getting big ? I sure hope you find some answers soon.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    No one here can diagnose you but don't you think you need to go somewhere else. We can only surmise but it does sound like some congestion. Could be in the lungs.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member

I don't want to go into details because I know how people lose it here, but doing medical research I have seen things that I literally cannot believe. The only problem is I saw them and they happened. People's bodies can do interesting things.

I’m intrigued by what you are inferring... are you talking about something spiritual?

If I were you I wouldn’t stop at a second opinion, I would be getting a third, a fourth, a fifth. I wouldn’t stop until I found the right doctor who could give me answers. I would start moving heaven and earth. I’d be admitting myself to the hospital with sudden weight gain.

I’ll be praying for you. Don’t stop searching for answers 🙏
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Are you actually putting on fat or is most of it water weight related to your heart condition?
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    It sounds more like fluid retention. That’s generally related to heart or kidney failure. I’m sorry you’re going through this but this sounds more like a medical issue not a fat gain issue. I sincerely wish you a full recovery.
  • john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Sorry, retaining fluid
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hope you get it figured out!

Yeah, diuretics for breathing!! I remember, I couldn't walk from bed to toilet without being short of breath and could only lay on my left side to breathe while lying down.

It sucked going from feeling young and strong, thin and fit, to being labeled morbidly obese and bed ridden.

This is one reason, I hate it when people say things like they have no sympathy for obese people or that all obese people are to blame for their own problems from over-eating and being lazy.

Sorry, no magical answers here, just somewhat similar circumstances, but different conditions.