MFP gave me a questionable calorie allowance!

Hi everyone! I plugged in my numbers on MFP and it said that I get 1270 calories a day to get where I want to be (150 pounds). I am female, 172 pounds, 5 ft, 7". I am not in a race to lose the weight, hell, if it takes a year I'm okay with that! I am thinking that number is kinda low, I am still pretty hungry only eating that amount. Any thoughts from the experts?

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited August 2019
    MFP works with the stats you put in. How many pounds per week did you select? What activity level did you select? Sedentary is basically for people who are comatose!! If you raise whatever you put up a notch, you'll get more calories. If you lower your weekly pounds to .5, you'll also get more calories.

Also, MFP is designed with the expectation that you will "eat back" any calories you expended on exercise--that will also give you more calories on the days that you exercise.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    dmkumhyr wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I plugged in my numbers on MFP and it said that I get 1270 calories a day to get where I want to be (150 pounds). I am female, 172 pounds, 5 ft, 7". I am not in a race to lose the weight, hell, if it takes a year I'm okay with that! I am thinking that number is kinda low, I am still pretty hungry only eating that amount. Any thoughts from the experts?

Did you choose a pace of more than 1 lb per week? With 22 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week is really the fastest you can expect. And you can change it to 0.5 lbs per week if you want, that will give you even more cals.

Did you say you were sedentary, and is that true? Do you pretty much sit all day? If not, you're not sedentary. Switching to lightly active (you get more than 4000 or so steps just in your normal day to day life) that will give you more calories.

And then whenever you exercise, you are expected to log it and eat at least some of the extra cals it gives you.

I'd bet once you go through those questions you'll get more than 1270 to eat :smile:
  • saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    Thank you so much AnnPT77💕
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Okay, I changed the activity level to lightly active and it bumped me up to 1400...Happy dance!! :D

What is your age? That is the only variable I am missing but your numbers still seem a bit low to me when I run them.
  • saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Okay, I changed the activity level to lightly active and it bumped me up to 1400...Happy dance!! :D

What is your age? That is the only variable I am missing but your numbers still seem a bit low to me when I run them.

I am 53.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

I am 53.

Hmm when I run with your stats (unless I am missing something) and lightly active, it gives me 1480 calories as a daily goal. Not that it's a huge difference from 1400, but you'll appreciate those extra 80 calories some days :smile: