FASHIONISTAS ~ Using FASHION as motivation?

Options

Replies

• Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I find looking at Pinterest motivating, too. I've settled on aiming to have a 'style' once I'm down to my goal weight- I'm going for Paris inspired- breton tops, blacks, navies, whites, all classic cuts- as a capsule wardrobe. I'm sick of looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards. I've already bought a few nearly new pieces off ebay and there's one dress in particular I can't wait to get into.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @Pickle107, "I'm sick of looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards." I love this visual description!

I finally went shopping and bought a few things that fit my current weight. At Talbots, I bought a pair of navy Bermuda shorts (!) and three tops. At J Jill I splurged on a beautiful "boho" top and a pair of leggings.

I have to say, I would not have even tried on, much less bought, the Talbot items if I'd been on my own; but my friend was handing things to me and encouraging me.

Where does everyone like to shop? :)
  • Susan3758
    Susan3758 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do like clothes, I have a few items that are my favourites and I do on occasion think about how if I'm not vigalent I wouldn't be able to wear them so yes it can be a great motivator
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

Where does everyone like to shop? :)

Your finds sound awesome!

I'm extremely cheap, so I really like to shop secondhand/thrift stores and off-price retailers like TJ Maxx. I also head for the clearance racks at Macy's, Nordstrom & Dillard's very frequently. However, I do a LOT of "research" online and some of my go to sources are Madewell, Anthropologie, and fashion blogs that suit my style. I find a lot of great pieces (vintage and new) in thrift stores and on-trend items at TJ Maxx and similar stores, but I feel like I need to be well-prepared in order to seek out the right types of items, as there's a lot of tacky ugly stuff in those stores too!

• TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love fashion and I guess each their own but being fat never stopped me from being stylish. I think being together is a requirement of mine esp being bigger as of societies view. I also think alot of the trends on what one can and cannot do is mental blockers.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I love fashion and I guess each their own but being fat never stopped me from being stylish. I think being together is a requirement of mine esp being bigger as of societies view. I also think alot of the trends on what one can and cannot do is mental blockers.

Being fat stopped me from being stylish because it's quite difficult looking stylish when all that's available in your size is basically cheap sacks. Nothing to do with 'each their own'.

There has been one heck of an improvement in plus-sized fashion over the last decade or so, but even so when you're at the upper end of the range choice is still very limited and good clothes are hard to find. Losing weight has been a total life-changer for me.
  • DaisyNLivy
    DaisyNLivy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The idea to loose weight by thinking of my closset is the reason, why I am using MFP and MMR.

Several years ago, I bought some very nice dresses, that never fit as they schould, because I startet to loose what I had lost.

Those dresses and skirts are collecting dust now (not realy :wink: ) some of them are still with tags on but I am looking forward to wear them (again) within this year. I have already lost 11kg and I am still working on it (around 12kg to go)

Because I don´t have to much money, I do shop second hand or eBay or, sometimes chinese cloth via amazon.

Please excuse my pidging english, but I am not used to write in this language very often.
    BTW: I am male too
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Being fat stopped me from being stylish because it's quite difficult looking stylish when all that's available in your size is basically cheap sacks. Nothing to do with 'each their own'.

There has been one heck of an improvement in plus-sized fashion over the last decade or so, but even so when you're at the upper end of the range choice is still very limited and good clothes are hard to find. Losing weight has been a total life-changer for me.

meh, I'm with TheChristianSimone completely. Even at 307 lb and size 26 jeans, I had zero problems finding cute outfits. I like the way I look much better now and I have many more style options at size M/L and 10. But I was plus-sized from my teens around 1992 all the way to 2013 and while I agree styles improved dramatically in the plus section, I don't think it's all sacks (nor was it in the 1990s)...far from it. I also had really good luck thrift/secondhand shopping during that entire time. A lot of my friends who wear size 12 for example say they can't find anything in thrift stores because it's all tiny. That hasn't ever been my experience.
  • ceiswyn
    edited August 2019
    Options

meh, I'm with TheChristianSimone completely. Even at 307 lb and size 26 jeans, I had zero problems finding cute outfits. I like the way I look much better now and I have many more style options at size M/L and 10. But I was plus-sized from my teens around 1992 all the way to 2013 and while I agree styles improved dramatically in the plus section, I don't think it's all sacks (nor was it in the 1990s)...far from it. I also had really good luck thrift/secondhand shopping during that entire time. A lot of my friends who wear size 12 for example say they can't find anything in thrift stores because it's all tiny. That hasn't ever been my experience.

Are you in the UK? Back in the 90s and early 00s I used to order most of my clothes from the US because the selection was so much better over there.

There's also an interaction with body shape; an awful lot of clothes are cut too straight for me. Now I'm a UK10 this isn't a problem because I have a wide selection of alternative options, but back when I was a UK26 and stuck with only one high street store and two online ones to choose from, there were years where I literally couldn't buy anything that fit me.

Just because you personally can manage to find cute outfits that fit your plus size shape well, that really doesn't mean that everyone can.
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Are you in the UK? Back in the 90s and early 00s I used to order most of my clothes from the US because the selection was so much better over there.

There's also an interaction with body shape; an awful lot of clothes are cut too straight for me. Now I'm a UK10 this isn't a problem because I have a wide selection of alternative options, but back when I was a UK26 and stuck with only one high street store and two online ones to choose from, there were years where I literally couldn't buy anything that fit me.

Just because you personally can manage to find cute outfits that fit your plus size shape well, that really doesn't mean that everyone can.

No, US. That may account for much of the difference. I agree, everyone's experience will vary. But my experience and thoughts on this are much more similar to TheChristianSimone, and I also really agree with her perspective that looking stylish and put together is kind of a requirement for a full life, especially professionally, even if you're very large. Definitely agree with you as well that body type, proportions and height all contribute to this.
  • ceiswyn
    edited August 2019
    Options

No, US. That may account for much of the difference. I agree, everyone's experience will vary. But my experience and thoughts on this are much more similar to TheChristianSimone, and I also really agree with her perspective that looking stylish and put together is kind of a requirement for a full life, especially professionally, even if you're very large. Definitely agree with you as well that body type, proportions and height all contribute to this.

And that is exactly why I was so unhappy for much of the time I was morbidly obese, yes. No matter how much it was a requirement to look stylish and put-together, it was also not possible because the clothes to do so just weren't out there.

Over the last decade or so things changed a lot (I was delighted when I discovered Lindy Bop, LadyV etc and could suddenly wear gloriously colourful dresses with cats on), but I still look a lot more stylish now than I did when I was fat, and that has nothing to do with any change in my own behaviour or attitudes. Purely the availability of options.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Pin little pictures of outfits you love or aspire to wear on your fridge or cupboards :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I've been getting into unusual Japanese fashion and holy cow can it be a size check. Fortunately, my problem is more of the average Japanese customer for these brands being much smaller than a 32DDD rather than it not fitting at all (it'll fit in the waist, it's just I got decent bazingas and the shoulders to support them).
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Totally!
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    I went on a self imposed ban on all purchases until I reached XX weight. Now that I'm at that weight I don't need to buy anything. It is an incredible feeling to just grab clothes and leave the house. No stress about what's going to fit me today.
    I still have 6 lbs to lose and several inches. I have two dresses that I want to wear to a wedding in April that are my motivation.

Same! We can do it!
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    Options

And that is exactly why I was so unhappy for much of the time I was morbidly obese, yes. No matter how much it was a requirement to look stylish and put-together, it was also not possible because the clothes to do so just weren't out there.

Over the last decade or so things changed a lot (I was delighted when I discovered Lindy Bop, LadyV etc and could suddenly wear gloriously colourful dresses with cats on), but I still look a lot more stylish now than I did when I was fat, and that has nothing to do with any change in my own behaviour or attitudes. Purely the availability of options.

Hmm that makes me mad that you felt bad because of size and being pulled together. I am in the states and growing up poor and minority I had to work extra hard to make sure I looked together as stereotypes come into play fast especially in corporate world. Thrifting was life for me as I tried different brands that were straight sized that I normally wouldn’t see if I went straight plus.

Even now that I am on the path of losing 150lbs everything I wear and own has to look proper as I am in my 30’s and don’t have my youth so I have to make sure everything is graceful even at size 18. I love the look of high end so it’s a huge motivator to get down the scale and be able to wear designer or even more feminine clothes.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    Fashion has been a huge motivator for me in weight loss and sometimes I think I'm a little too fashion-obsessed for my age (41) but I believe I'm making up for the twenty years I lost wearing only plus size styles.

Me too. My interpretation of 'fashion' isn't necessarily what's considered to be officially fashionable. I've always heard my own beat, but now that I don't feel like I need to hide under baggy layers, I'm having way more fun dressing. My tastes lean towards boho/vintage/old hippie clothing. I'm 59 - don't think there's an age limit, unless you want one.

Fashion is super important to me. Not in a trendy way, I have always bought quality classics pieces that stand the test of time. Investment pieces. Plus a little beachy, boho casual items for my Florida lifestyle. I was a size 8 for 40 years, so that’s what’s in my closet. I work hard to look good in them. And age has nothing to do with it. I’m 58, and I regularly get told that I look cute and “put together”.
  • Vgetskinny
    Vgetskinny Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Vgetskinny wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed is that if I hightail it to my closet as soon as I start feeling the need to nosh (munch snacks) in the evenings, I can start trying on clothes and the next thing I know, I have lost the desire to munch. It makes me feel so happy! And then instead of gaining or not losing, I get a little more inspiration when something almost fits, or even if it fits but is still a little tight. The trouble always is remembering this technique when brain sends me mindlessly into the kitchen to stare into fridge or pantry.

Any other fashion loving people find this to be true?

Oh boy, I needed this reminder today! Isn't it great to go back and read what you posted when you were feeling your most positive self!