is this the reason my cravings have stopped?

trulyhealy
trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
i threw out my unhealthy snacks like chocolate on monday when i started to eat healthy and normally i would feel cravings by now for them for example when i've tried to lose weight in the past but the sat few times i've tried it i kept chocolate in the house

do you think i'm not craving it anymore because i don't have easy access to it? is this normal? will this pass because this is all new and i'm motivated?

(instead of chocolate and sweets i've bought diet chocolate brownie snacks that are 90 calories and they taste so chocolatey and i know they're still process but still a better option to have those once a day to stop cravings)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    If I eat sweets, I want more sweets.

YMMV
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I find if my macros stay inline my cravings are pretty much gone.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    when I first lost my weight (8 years ago, via mfp), my cravings then were very much about chocolate.

I 'treated' myself everyone night at bedtime with one small square (1"x1" approx.) of the very best semi-sweet chocolate.
    I sure made that little square last too! LOL
    One tiny crumb of a nibble at a time, just letting it melt on my tongue and savouring it.
    I could make that little square last 20 to 30 mins! The best thing was it was not the least bit 'low cal', it was rich and delicious, but so small there was so few calories, I even was able to make it fit into the 1200 cal per day I was (at that time) following, and because I ate it soooo slowly, i found I just didn't miss the 'large' portions of every other kind of chocolate imaginable that used to be my vice!

That was it... all the chocolate I had, it was one that was even 'good' for me, plus I felt satisfied.
    I lost 70lbs at that time.

My struggle then was maintenance and I didn't handle that well.
    18 months ago I 're-started' and expected to do the same with chocolate again.. but... over the intervening 7 years, my craving for chocolate had literally disappeared.

Unfortunately now the craving is ALL about carbs (popcorn/breads), and I cannot so easily get a tiny fix that works.

BUT, Maintenance is now holding pretty steady for me (over a year now -woohoo!) so, my once in awhile 'give-in' to a carb overload is not as bad as it used to be, and I dont't let it derail me anymore.

Funny how our tastes will change, our cravings, and our awareness of what may even be causing those cravings... all change with time.

As long as you hold on to the rail; (don't let a slip-up derail you) and accept YOU are the one in control, you'll be great!

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    My cravings are usually related to my menstrual cycle, not what I have in my house.

ETA: In re-reading your OP, I'm confused. You threw out all the chocolate, but you have brownies in the house? So you are satisfying your chocolate craving with...chocolate. I suspect you aren't craving it because you're still eating it. :ohwell:

Yep, confused me too!

Having said that, there’s no reason why you should have to completely give up chocolate. Just budget for a small amount of it in your calorie allowance. Which I guess is what you’re doing with your 90 cal brownie treats. Just don’t expect your cravings to lessen if you’re still having it, I suppose. I’m not sure, I’m not someone who craves sweet things. Give me salty every time!
  • janstewart62
    janstewart62 Posts: 88 Member
    I thought she meant high calorie regular chocolate is out and low calorie is in...
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I also tossed my sweets on day one. Within two weeks of eating pescatarian, my cravings were gone.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    It could be that you found a way to satisfy your cravings that fits better with your calorie goal.

I'm always happy when I discover new yummy treats that I can easily fit into my goals. I'm rarely even think about restaurant desserts anymore as I have so many yummy things at home to choose from which I know make me happy.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    I thought she meant high calorie regular chocolate is out and low calorie is in...

yeah that's what i meant. like normally i'd crave m&ms, mars bars or whatever
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Having stuff I like in the house lets me stay in control of how much of that stuff I have. I have appropriate servings ready to go so it's a controlled environment. Not having stuff I like in the house is just inconvenient as it just means I have to leave the house to get the stuff I like.

There's no one size fits all solution and everyone needs to find out what works for them. Finding the path of least resistance is half the battle when it comes to weight management.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Keeping items that you have trouble controlling the cravings of can certainly be an effective strategy. A lot of times when we think we "crave" something, we don't really crave it but just want it and if it's closer at hand, it's easier to just eat it than if you don't have it available. For example, if there was a McDonald's in my house that just gave me big macs whenever I wanted, I'd eat a lot more of them than I do because I need to actually get them from McDonald's.

That all being said, it seems probably more likely that finding a lower calorie chocolate replacement that you have the ability to eat in moderation is what is helping with that.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited August 2019
    My cravings are usually related to my menstrual cycle, not what I have in my house.

Yep all I want is a big bag of frozen peanut M&Ms during that time! And that is what I eat!

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »

yeah that's what i meant. like normally i'd crave m&ms, mars bars or whatever

But "normally" would you have been eating the lower-calorie chocolate brownies? Because as someone pointed out higher in the thread, you're now satisfying your chocolate craving with chocolate. Doesn't seem strange that that works.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Just be cautious with your expectations after 4 days of results.

And this ^^