Mini Rant: Peer Pressure

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
Two coworkers I share an office with are also using MFP. Which is sort of cool, when they bring in snacks they share barcodes to scan and stuff.

But. Well. Today is a pizza party, and they were setting up when I grabbed my lunch from the fridge. And I got "we're eating pizza, you have to eat pizza."

And I just wanna yell "both of you are already pretty thin and trying to lose like 20 lbs. I started with over 120 pounds to drop and I still have 80 to go! Talk to me about pizza when you feel like the only place you can go for clothes is the camping supplies stores in the tent section!"

I want that pizza more than you can imagine. It's from my favorite pub. But pizza is the worst food for me. It's high calorie and never filling. I'd need to eat a whole one just to not be hungry in half an hour.

I just stopped my anxiety meds, hangry is not what I need today.

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    don't EVER let anyone dictate how to live your life. seems like they want you to fail or something?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    say no thank you and eat your lunch

This ^^^^
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    say no thank you and eat your lunch

I second this ^^^^
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    My green beans taste like sadness now though. :(

But think how GREAT you'll feel later, knowing you resisted :) Hold tight, you can do it.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Will it fit in your goal to have a piece and still eat your lunch? Can you adjust what you eat later to fit it in if that's something you want. If you don't want to do any of that...will power.
    It doesn't matter what their goals are or how much they have to lose compared to you. If they feel ok eating pizza, let them and eat your lunch. If you want it badly, eat it. One day, one piece of pizza, is not going to ruin your progress.

If you're someone that can't just eat one and enjoy the day, then use will power and ignore them.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    My green beans taste like sadness now though. :(

But think how GREAT you'll feel later, knowing you resisted :) Hold tight, you can do it.

Welp, the pizza party was a cover, they actually dropped a metaphorical bomb.

Now to hell with the pizza, I need a 40 of vodka. :/

Oh, the old "build them up, then drop a bomb on them" lunch. For me, that usually happened on Fridays, so we could whine and recover over the weekend.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    InForBacon wrote: »
    What is your calorie goal? Will it fit in your goal to have a piece and still eat your lunch? Can you adjust what you eat later to fit it in if that's something you want. If you don't want to do any of that...will power.
    It doesn't matter what their goals are or how much they have to lose compared to you. If they feel ok eating pizza, let them and eat your lunch. If you want it badly, eat it. One day, one piece of pizza, is not going to ruin your progress.

If you're someone that can't just eat one and enjoy the day, then use will power and ignore them.

I did end up eating the smallest piece I could find but I sort of regret it since now I have bad cravings. :(

But I'm going to the gym tonight I should be able to work off a single piece.

I've been stalled for two weeks so I'm getting a little frustrated. With the world.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Frisbee that pizza.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I did end up eating the smallest piece I could find but I sort of regret it since now I have bad cravings. :(

I've been stalled for two weeks so I'm getting a little frustrated. With the world.

Losing weight isn't a linear process. Lbs can go up and down for weeks at a time (or be stagnant). If the overall trend is down, you are doing well. I'd say if you don't lose for a month or so and you have been tedious in tracking, then look at making an adjustment. And when I say tedious, I mean weighing and measuring everything. The biggest thing I have learned is to just enjoy the things I love and not think of it in terms of needing to work it off. In the grand scheme of things, a piece of pizza will not do a whole lot. Drink some water and get your workout in. It will come off with consistency.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Response 1: Only I dictate what I put in my body, thank you kindly.

Response 2: I HAVE to? Is this HR mandated? Should we go speak to them?

Response 3: Double birds and moonwalk the hell away from that nonsense.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    my sister does this to me all the time! the other night she was on her way out of the apartment and said 'I'm debating whether to ask you if you want anything from McDonald's" (which is the same thing as asking!) I yelled 'DON'T ASK ME I DON'T HAVE ANY WILL POWER" I did it in a joking way and we both laughed but she hasn't tempted me since then. It feels like sabotage even though I know it's not on purpose.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    InForBacon wrote: »

Ak, I know the feeling - I'm like you with pizza - I can't eat just one slice, I need the entire thing down my gob, so often it's better to not have ANY than have a teasing little piece that leaves you salivating for more.

Anyway, well done on only eating one piece!

And yes - one piece won't ruin your life, just get back on it tomorrow :)