Is Weightloss Surgery a cop out?

Options
quichebradford
quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
Over the past couple of years, there have been several women at my job who have had weight loss surgery. Some gastric bypass, some the lap band. There was a discussion the other day about this and one of my co-workers said something to the extent that having weight loss surgery was taking the "easy way out" and all you have to do is eat right and exercise. I thought it was a bit harsh, especially being a person who has struggled with weight for so many years. And get this, she's a big girl herself! Maybe she's jealous because they actually did something about their situation.

So, what do you guys think...how do you feel about weight loss surgery?

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    same here, lots of people i work with have done it, personally i dont think its necessary, but for someone who doesn't have the will power, its a tool, like anything else.
    anyone can lose weight by eating right, even without exercise.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was offered it and decided I would feel better for myself if I just did it. I needed to learn the lessons that going it alone teaches me.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks it's easy hasn't seen the side effects. I don't believe it's a long term solution, personally, considering the nutritional deficiencies a lot of these people face afterward.

It is a tool. It can be a lifesaving surgery for some. But if you can go it without, it's best for you long-term.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am too worried about getting myself healthy to spend one moment judging someone else's decisions on how they're going to get healthy. It isn't something I would ever do, but I don't for one minute pretend I have the answers for anyone else's journey.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    cop out.

it's like those people who win the lottery and years later declare bankruptcy.

you either learn how to live a healthy life style or you don't. no surgery or pill or quick fix is going to change that.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I was offered it and decided I would feel better for myself if I just did it. I needed to learn the lessons that going it alone teaches me.

I agree. To me it sounds like the easy way out and I have struggled with weight for a very long time. My mother in law had gastric bypass several years ago but she had to lose 100lbs before she could have the surgery. I was thinking, if you could lose the 100lbs, why not just keep doing that instead of having the surgery? I just have a bigger respect for people who do it the "old fashion" way. A few of my friends had gastric bypass as well and they gained weight- so to me they didn't learn their lesson and continued to eat whatever they wanted.
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    Anyone who thinks it's easy hasn't seen the side effects. I don't believe it's a long term solution, personally, considering the nutritional deficiencies a lot of these people face afterward.

It is a tool. It can be a lifesaving surgery for some. But if you can go it without, it's best for you long-term.

Totally agree with what u wrote!
  • Dreamingirl80
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery and lost 60 lbs before getting sick and finding out the surgery was done incorrectly. I had to have it fixed and knowing that my weight loss was done at that point, decided to get my butt in gear and do it on my own. I lost 140 lbs after that with good ol fashioned hard work and changing my eating habits. I'll never refer to it as a diet because that mentality sets one for failure. I've had a lifestyle change. Point for me is, I know some people need help, but once I learned about food and calories, realized it was a huge numbers game, I was able to lose. I started by walking to the end of my street short of breath, panting when I got home and got to walking 7 miles at a time with spurts of jogging in there. I dont think its a cop out or the easy way out, I just feel sad that patients arent better educated on how it really works. It wont be a life of losing. Its a tool. It's also a personal decision so I respect each persons decision, but for me, I will take the lifestyle change any day.
  • gmadxc
    gmadxc Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass in 2007, lost 167lbs. It literally saved my life. Over the last two years I have started putting on a few lbs(20) so have started with the daily food diary. it helps.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If it's medically necessary, then I would support it. I don't believe that it's the easy way out. If anything, I think it's very brave for someone to endure the pre-op diet/therapy, the procedure, and post-op/recovery. I had a friend who had it done, but died about three weeks later due to circulation complications. There's a lot more involved than people realize.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Over the past couple of years, there have been several women at my job who have had weight loss surgery. Some gastric bypass, some the lap band. There was a discussion the other day about this and one of my co-workers said something to the extent that having weight loss surgery was taking the "easy way out" and all you have to do is eat right and exercise. I thought it was a bit harsh, especially being a person who has struggled with weight for so many years. And get this, she's a big girl herself! Maybe she's jealous because they actually did something about their situation.

So, what do you guys think...how do you feel about weight loss surgery?

If a person chooses to have WLS...WHO are they "copping" Out ON. Some alcoholics choose to go to AA to "kick" the addiction and some do it "cold turkey" on their own. So who is wrong or right...in the end BOTH have to STAY SOBER.

People need to STOP TRYING to JUDGE others base on their Values, ESPECIALLY when there is NO Right or Wrong/Good or Evil involved!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have had the surgery, yet gained most of the weight back because they were not emotionally prepared to make the lifestyle change that is needed for weight loss and keeping it off...Personally, I wouldn't risk the surgery for myself... :flowerforyou:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Easy way out. I think a lot of people do it initially without thinking it through. I've never really been overweight (and can't really put myself in an obese person's shoes) but I don't like shortcuts and I'd rather bust my butt and lose 30 pounds than lose 60 or 120 via surgery. Hard work pays off and it makes you feel great. The risk is too great and the reward for hardwork is so much greater.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I considered lipo and a tummy tuck a couple of years ago. MY doctor gave me Xenical/orlistat for aroudn 1 year..even after I told him I did not eat a high fat diet.

But I am apple shaped and thought lipo and the tummy tuck would be the answer.

The surgeon told me I would need to lose 28lbs in order to have a good `sculpture` from the surgery. I was 175lbs.

My husband was supportive but very worried about the whole thing...
    So to cut a long story short...

I have lost 13lbs and gone off the whole idea of surgery...it`s a fools game I got to where I was by over eating and I can get back to being comfortable with my weight by staying off overeating...no kwikfix

But if this is what you want then think about it first....long and hard
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I dont think it is a total cop out...but I would say that wouldnt I considering I was banded nearly 4 years ago. I have still had to change the way I eat and the amount I move about and exercise. The band cant help or make you do those things. It reduces the amounts you can consume and as has been said is a tool that one has to be willing to work with. I am within sight of my ideal weight now for the first time in my life and I dont believe that would have been possible without the surgery, because every time before I yo-yo'ed. Sure I could lose the weight but before the op I always ended up putting it back on. At the end of the day though it is the only chance of survival for some.
  • EDesq
    Options
    If it's medically necessary, then I would support it. I don't believe that it's the easy way out. If anything, I think it's very brave for someone to endure the pre-op diet/therapy, the procedure, and post-op/recovery. I had a friend who had it done, but died about three weeks later due to circulation complications. There's a lot more involved than people realize.

I can relate. My Nephew died while trying to lose weight to have WLS. I wish to GOD that he had seen WLS as an option earlier! SKREW people who Judge others!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree. That statement would come from a person who has not had any type of weight loss surgery. First of all when I had my Gastric Bypass I did loose 185 #'s quickly with all the side effects vomiting diarrhea, dumping where you are running to the bathroom for one reason or another. I am proud of my weight loss. I have never gotten to my goal weight. Weight loss surgery is just a tool you can choose to use or not, the same as choosing the numerous diet plans.
    I am 4 years out, I am just like anyone with the same challenges of continuing to loose and or managing. Any time of weight management is purely individualized. What my be good for me may not work for the next person, but the easy way I would say not. My health was at a point where I would probably be dead if I hadn't made that drastic move.
    If you are considering then do it for you who cares what your friend/ hater says. I am now managing my weight and I am here for support and encouragement and I do the same for my friends on MFP.
    So if it looks like I cop'd out, then good, all I know is it was the best thing I could ever do for me, if I had to I would do it all over again...:flowerforyou:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    It would be easy for me to sit here and say yes it is, but then again I've never had to make a decision like that. From what I've seen, it can be a tool (as someone else mentioned), to jumpstart the change to start eating less etc. But it certainly isn't a permanent solution, and anyone who thinks it is needs to re-evaluate why they are getting it in the first place. Personally I think it's sad that people even get to a spot where they have to make a decision like this, and I'm not saying this to bad mouth anyone here or make anyone feel bad. It's just a comment about American society today.
    Congrats to anyone who has had the surgery and used it as a way to get fit and stay that way.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it personally, but I have no problem if other people want to. If it lets people lose weight, and so reduce the chances of them suffering weight related diseases later in life, why not! The only thing I have a problem with is them having surgery, not telling anyone and then preaching about a healthy diet and exercise!
  • EDesq
    Options
    cop out.

it's like those people who win the lottery and years later declare bankruptcy.

you either learn how to live a healthy life style or you don't. no surgery or pill or quick fix is going to change that.

TRUE! They STILL have to learn to eat right and get healthy...if NOT they got CUT for NOTHING!
This discussion has been closed.