Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

50 pounds in 6 months.. is it possible?

2»

Replies

• ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Possible? Yes. I lost just over 100 lbs in 8 months and 4 days AND yes, I have kept it off. I lost this weight in 2017 and I have maintained and even loss more since. I started at 260 lbs and I changed my lifestyle completely... diet and activity. I made changes that I could maintain in my life. I didn't cut anything completely out. I just cut back and got to moving more.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I was so overweight when i got married, but made changes and lost 75lbs or so later. I'm in maintenance for going on three years now. I still enjoy looking at my wedding pictures, doesn't matter that I'm fat there. I'm not anymore, and it's more important. I've had my share of lose/ gain back- plus- ten- extra- pounds every time cycles because the changes i was making were temporary and that had to change for me to keep the weight off successfully. You've got so much good advice here, OP. Don't set too hard of a goal, but focus on changing habits that got you to become overweight to start with. Identify them and make changes, even if you change one thing at a time, as long as it's sustainable for you. And for God's sake, stop taking pills. Have a big salad with low calorie or low amount of s higher calories salad dressing, eat more veggies, they are filling and low calorie. And so nutritious too. And added stress from too aggressive of a goal eill make it harder on you and your family too, because many of us get hangry when we're hungry, lol. Good luck and congratulations, OP!
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    +1 for don't add extra stress to yourself when trying to plan a wedding, the planning itself is stressful enough! I actually gained ~15lbs right before my wedding in stress-eating (obviously not everyone has this reaction to stress but it is possible). I would recommend setting yourself a realistic goal, something you can stick to comfortably. And to be honest, I'd recommend just eating at maintenance for the week or so before the wedding, just to make sure you're as happy and glowing as possible. And enjoy your wedding day, you'll look and feel stunning no matter what you weigh so don't sweat it!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Are you sure you're not pregnant? A friend of mine attempted to aggressively drop weight before her wedding last year, and assumed something was wrong with herself. I kept telling her, "you might be pregnant." I was right. She'd thought she was incapable of conceiving. She was weighing, logging & exercising. Fast forward>>She is due next week.

Congratulations on your pending nuptials!

• mwoltermann
    mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
    If your having trouble w/ your current weight loss strategy, I dont think going more aggressive will work out in your favor. If you clean up your eating one day at a time along w/ excercise, the weight will come off.

Side note... Most people get there wedding dress ordered pretty early. Getting it reduced for a 50 lb loss is quite a large effort for a seamstress so keep that in mind as well!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Why 150lbs? Is there some sort of history with that number (like being that weight when you met) or is just a nice even number you think you should achieve? Why?

Being in the same boat of wedding dieting, I have two pieces of advice: 1) worry less about hitting that 150lbs and more about being consistent enough in your habits to be able to wear your wedding dress on every anniversary 2) if possible, try your dress on regularly. My dress fit me when I bought it (off the rack, straight home from the store without any ordering business) in October, I didn't try it on before my alterations fitting two weeks ago (first I didn't think I needed, then I was in denial of my weight gain and too scared to try it) and now I'm trying to lose as much as healthily possible while the seamstress is letting out the seams as much as she can.

I'm heavier than you and my mental goal is 6lbs in these three weeks before the fateful fitting appointment and my second fitting, that's 2lbs per week for only three weeks at a heavier starting weight, and with one week to go I can't wait to increase my calories to a more moderate weight loss. Also, from experience, keep in mind that as your wedding day approaches, so do the social and food-related pre-wedding events you want to enjoy without feeling guilt from eating/drinking or deprivation from not having the things you want. Possible events include tastings for cakes, catering and wine, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner, lunches/brunches/dinners with the bridal party and so on.

(Yes, my post assumed your gender, but the same applies anyway)