Ladies, do you get this too?

Options
I have made great progress since I started MFP about 6 months ago. I have reached my goal weight and I am maintaining. My total weight loss is 26 lbs. I have done it just by simple exercise and making better food choices. I've learned portion control, simple swaps, and limiting or avoiding certain foods. Still, there is one thing I can't get over. A day or two after I ovulate, I feel just ravenous! I mean I want to eat everything! It's more than just a mental thing or just thinking that I'm hungry. It gets so bad that I get headaches or feel semi nauseous. What the heck?? I know a lot of women get similar symptoms just before their periods, but this is a little early for that. I was just wondering if anyone else gets this, or if I'm just strange. lol If you do, have you found anything that helps?

Replies

• plutoniansmash
    Options
    I get INCREDIBLE food cravings during my period (usually smack dab in the middle.) The best thing to control it for me is to plan out what I'm eating, stick to the plan, and try to eat regularly - every few hours to an hour if possible. It's hard because I know I"m not hungry, my body just wants me to eat!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am where you are; maintenance. I am not sure at what point mine is (after ovulation, before...) but I get those days as well. I have to FORCE myself not to eat like a maniac. Food is all I think about and all I want. I wish I could offer some advice on how to deal with it or make it go away, bit nothing I have tried works. And yes, water actually makes it WORSE for me.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Nope you are NOT strange at all! that hungry feeling is the body's natural way of wanting to feed and support a conception. the body is sorta magic, huh?!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Nope you are NOT strange at all! that hungry feeling is the body's natural way of wanting to feed and support a conception. the body is sorta magic, huh?!

Never thought about that but makes total sense. It is amazing but annoying as hell all at the same time. Oh, the joys...
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Body may not be getting all the vitamins you need...there is a vitamin if you're one that takes them that could help you. I've been taking them for about 5 years now and I never have cramps, bloating or cravings anymore. The vitamin is called Optivite PMT & may be purchased at www.optimox.com. They are the makers of this vitamin. They used to order it for me at CVS when we lived in Chicago but then quit offering it...it's cheaper online anyway and the shipping is only $3.99 on 6 bottles.
  • farrellb2
    farrellb2 Posts: 120
    Options
    I find things that I can trick my body into thinking they're what I'm craving, but they're healthier options, Like if I'm craving chocolate I won't head straight for the chocolate bar hiding in my cabinet, but I'll grab a few of the quaker mini rice cakes with chocolate drizzled on them, they're light, not high in calories and it usually shuts it up, I also avoid the kitchen (which is really hard seeing as I have to go through the kitchen to get out of my room, to go to the bathroom, or to leave my house) but if I do have to go to the kitchen I go the opposite direction of my cabinets with all the yummy junk food that my brother lives off of.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Good point! I never really considered it.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You metabolism may increase between ovulation and menstruation, between 100 and 300 calories per day.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=menstrual cycle metabolism&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws
  • Runnermadre
    Options
    I find things that I can trick my body into thinking they're what I'm craving, but they're healthier options, Like if I'm craving chocolate I won't head straight for the chocolate bar hiding in my cabinet, but I'll grab a few of the quaker mini rice cakes with chocolate drizzled on them, they're light, not high in calories and it usually shuts it up, I also avoid the kitchen (which is really hard seeing as I have to go through the kitchen to get out of my room, to go to the bathroom, or to leave my house) but if I do have to go to the kitchen I go the opposite direction of my cabinets with all the yummy junk food that my brother lives off of.

I'm actually pretty lucky I guess because I don't get many food specific cravings. It's more of a general hunger. I usually figure, ok, I'll just have something small but nutrient dense. Ha! It doesn't even touch it! I seriously ate two eggs, two pieces of toast, and two turkey sausages today and when I was done, I felt as if I hadn't eaten anything. It's rediculous!
  • Runnermadre
    Options
    You metabolism may increase between ovulation and menstruation, between 100 and 300 calories per day.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=menstrual cycle metabolism&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

This is the BEST news ever! lol Now I don't have to feel so guilty when I go over a little. :-)
  • Runnermadre
    Options
    Body may not be getting all the vitamins you need...there is a vitamin if you're one that takes them that could help you. I've been taking them for about 5 years now and I never have cramps, bloating or cravings anymore. The vitamin is called Optivite PMT & may be purchased at www.optimox.com. They are the makers of this vitamin. They used to order it for me at CVS when we lived in Chicago but then quit offering it...it's cheaper online anyway and the shipping is only $3.99 on 6 bottles.

I take a multivitamin everyday. What's the difference between Optivite PMT and a regular vitamin?