Options
Kita1818
Kita1818 Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
A little about me:
38yo F 🙍‍♀️
103lbs
5’2”
Slim, never exercised when younger, gained 10+lbs after giving birth (7years ago!) finally MFP helped me take it off. Can only attend gym once a week, but have treadmill at home. Because of my age I want to build muscle, I think most importantly in my core (abs, back) and then would have nice tricepts (to avoid droopy arms).

Right now, i run/climb 3xWeek: 2x25mins=1.75miles and 1x45min=2.7miles
And go to the gym once, and this is where y’all come in because I want to make the most of it. So please advise.

I came up with a routine based on my desires as described above and on a short stint doing Orange Theory (HIIT).

One more note: the reason why I time the exercises is because otherwise I get distracted at the gym.

Treadmill 15⏱ [(3⏱*3.5*6%)
+(2⏱*5*1.5%)]*3
I Triceps 5⏱(3*12 or until time runs out)
* Triceps dips
* Squeeze Shoulder Press
* Standing Dumbbell Extension

Treadmill 5⏱(3⏱*3.5*6%+2⏱*5*1.5%)

II Abs 5⏱(3*12 or until time runs out)
* Bicycles
* Mountain climbers
* Scissors
* Straight Leg Raise

Treadmill 5⏱(3⏱*3.5*6%+2⏱*5*1.5%)

III Back 5⏱(3*12 or until time runs out)
* Back row gym machine
* Superman
* Weighted Ball Back Extensions
* Push Ups

Treadmill 15⏱ [(3⏱*3.5*6%)
+(2⏱*5*1.5%)]*3

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is a cardio routine, not strength building. Nothing wrong with it, but it does not match your goals.
  • Kita1818
    Options
    @LKArgh oh, ok, I thought the exercises in between the runs were muscle building. So then how would you modify?
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle forget the treadmill on the one day you're at the gym. You're already running often.
    Lift. Lift big heavy things to the best of your ability and then lift bigger heavier things.
    Pick a program that sounds good to you and follow it.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Kita1818 wrote: »
    @LKArgh oh, ok, I thought the exercises in between the runs were muscle building. So then how would you modify?

You need far fewer exercises, big muscle groups, and you need some sort of progression. Since you are a beginner on this, the simpler is to ask at your gym for a routine, usually they have some basic one they give to people according to goals and previous experience. If this is not an option, then google is your friend here, why try to figure out what others have spent years planning?
    Based on your goals, pilates might also be a good choice, which you can also do at home.
  • Kita1818
    Options
    @jayemes i like your perspective, I should spend my time lifting since im already running enough, thank you!
    And @LKArgh thanks again!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds contradictory, but at your stage if you want nice abs ab workouts are a waste of time.

As others have said, you need to get on a good workout program that has a progressive structure (i.e. increasing the amount lifted over time). Most will include the main compound exercises-exercises that require multiple muscle groups to complete-namely squats, rows, and deadlifts. They'll likely also include bench press and overhead press.

I've heard many women prefer Strong Curves. Strong Lifts 5x5 is very simple, but has an aggressive progress structure which might be physically overwhelming. All-Pros has a progressive structure with built-in deloads; it may look complicated and it takes some tracking, but it's simple once you get in the groove. These are all in the link jayemes posted.

I'd recommend an app to help; I've found JeFit to be the most useful.

BodyBuilding.com Forums also has a "Workout Programs" forum wherein you can ask program-specific questions and people will assist. And it's not just a bunch of meatheads; there are plenty of people more than happy to help.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you buy a kettlebell or two for home use (make sure you research or get some instruction on how to use it properly if you don't already know). Swings are a great cardio alternative to the treadmill on some days (and really build up your posterior chain) plus there's lifts you can do to build muscle in your upper body, you can use them for weighted squats and lunges for legs. Best bang for your buck I know of.
  • Kita1818
    Options
    @Justin_7272 so much info, so greatful!
  • jayemes
    Options
    @snifterpug But what weight kettlebell? I swing a different weight than I squat. I overhead press a different amount than I do figure 8's. I do turkish getups 26's to start and work up to 35's. I like kettlebells but telling a newbie lifter to get a kettlebell is like telling them to buy two dumbbells. There's no way to know what weight you can use for the most things until you get into it for awhile.
  • SnifterPug
    Options
    @jayemes - well, yes, but all of the kettlebell sites that I have seen have got suggested starter weights. And given the huge variety of things you can do with a bell, you can get a lot of use out of one even if it becomes too light for, say, your deadlift. I only own one 10kg bell and feel no need to buy a heavier one, though I use all the bells up to 24kg at the gym for one thing or another.
  • jayemes
    Options
    @snifterpug and that's kind of my point. A 10kg kettlebell would be too light for me for ANY movement. I stand by my comment that it would be silly for a newbie lifter to buy a single weight for home use.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    @snifterpug and that's kind of my point. A 10kg kettlebell would be too light for me for ANY movement. I stand by my comment that it would be silly for a newbie lifter to buy a single weight for home use.

It also wouldn’t be strength training.
  • SnifterPug
    Options
    @Azdak - no, but I am not making suggestions as to what she might lift in the gym. I am suggesting a way in which she can consider varying her at home training, and further her stated objective of working her core and triceps, which will not be achieved by using the home treadmill. I would be astonished if a 5'2" slim female with a limited exercise history could not get pretty good use out of, say, a 10kg bell for quite some time, even if such a bell is indeed far too light for the likes of @jayemes. I would eat my hat if the OP found herself resorting to bottoms up presses on day 1 because the bell was useless for anything else. Not that kettlebells are the be all and end all, of course. Resistance bands are jolly useful too. I am predicating my suggestions on the basis that the OP has neither the space, desire or funding to set up a fully equipped weights gym at home.