Difficult to lose weight

Options
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me.

I was 89kg in Dec 2017. I managed to shed 21kg in 1 year. But I have not reached my target, 59kg. I am.now 68kg and have been trying hard to control my portions, exercising and control my diet. It's been this weight, 68kg for almost 8 months. I have not shed any weight but increasing. I was once 64kg during 8 months but somehow I gained another 4 kg even though I have been eating healthily and exercise everyday. I avoid carbs but since the weight is increasing I started to eat carbs.

My exercises are mostly epitilical, treadmill and recently I start lifting weights abt 2 months ago. I am scared of gaining weight and hopefully it doesnt hit 70kg.

Does anyone have this problem.too? How can I lose further 10kg? My body seems like doesnt want to lose anymore and I still feel fat as my belly is still big. Anyone.able to advice?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You don't mention anything about how many calories you eat or how you are measuring your food. Are you weighing ALL of your food and consistently hitting your calorie goal without going over it?

This ^^^^^

If you're not weighing everything you consume, you have no idea whether or not you're in a calorie deficit and that's how you lose weight.

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did count calories. Per day 1300 cal. Weighing them too. Nothing works. Exercising bulk me up. I did abs, legs, arms cardio in alternate days. But the weight doesnt go down. I do cheat days once very 2 weeks. Nothing works for me now after hitting weight plataue. Increasing my exercises (2 hrs everyday) and lower down the calories (1000) will just make me go hungry and emotional roller coster (I tried this for 2 months.)

You definitely shouldn't reduce your calories to 1000kcals a day! 1200kcals is the absolute minimum recommended for women and 1500kcals for men.

Do you still log on your cheat day?

How did you lose the weight? Was it through counting your calories? Did anything change 8 months ago?

If you are in a calorie deficit you should lose weight, so maybe you need to tighten up your counting? Did you weigh and measure everything and how long did you do this for?
    How did you estimate your exercise calories and did you eat them back?

There is a handy chart that gets posted on these forums with things to consider when you are not losing weight. I'm sure someone will post it here.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with the thought "are you logging" your cheat days? If your deficit is only 250 a day than 1 cheat day of 3500 or more puts you exactly in maintenance. I also agree about changing things up. Esp if you are eating the same things very repetitively. Not because your body is "used" to them but because of the possibility in error as far as the cals go.

BTW, if your cheat day is a trip to a fast food place for lunch and a nice dinner out with dessert, that's probably gonna be 3500 or so right there.

Best of luck and it sounds like you are really doing well but just sort of stalled for a little bit. You can do this.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I did count calories. Per day 1300 cal. Weighing them too. Nothing works. Exercising bulk me up. I did abs, legs, arms cardio in alternate days. But the weight doesnt go down. I do cheat days once very 2 weeks. Nothing works for me now after hitting weight plataue. Increasing my exercises (2 hrs everyday) and lower down the calories (1000) will just make me go hungry and emotional roller coster (I tried this for 2 months.)

So in other words, you aren’t eating 1300 calories per day. You’re eating 1300 calories on some days, and on other days you’re eating an unknown larger amount.

When you don’t have a lot to lose, weight loss will be slow even if your logging is on point. It will be slower or nonexistent if your logging is not on point. Overeating on one day can easily wipe out an entire week’s deficit if the deficit is small, and when your don’t have much to lose, your deficit should be small.

Weigh ALL your food. Consistently eat the number of calories MFP gives you.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It sounds like a matter of consistency. You're not staying in a healthy calorie deficit, therefore you won't lose weight.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    ldaratha wrote: »
    Would I be crazy to suggest maybe you are at the right weight for you? Maybe this is where your body wants to be and is sustainable. Just a thought.

There is no such thing as a "set point" or "where your body wants to be." Your body does not "want" to be one weight or another.

There *is* the question of whether or not a person can consistently eat at a level necessary to reach a particular weight, and then continue eating the number of calories necessary to maintain that weight over the long term.

Yes, indeed. But "set point" just sounds so much more science-y, and "where your body wants to be" sounds so much more non-negotiable, than "some sets of habits are more sustainable over the long haul than others, and the details vary by individual".

Gosh-darn personal responsibility: It always wants to let me down in the long run. :lol:

But long runs can help with maintenance.

@forbiddentears Your diary isn't open, so I can't look at it. There are some very common logging errors that can slip in without even realizing it. If you open your diary we could take a look and better support you from that side. It sounds like you have been trying a few different things, when you change things, are you giving it 6-8 weeks to see if it's helping? Are you having days or weeks where you give up and stop tracking?
    QFT.

I started telling myself, "The time will pass anyway. You can either arrive at (arbitrary date here) better than you are today or not. Your choices between now and then determine that." As strange as it may sound, taking the immediacy out of things helped immensely.

Now that I'm slowwwly losing the last few pounds/recomping, it's invaluable.