Difference between cheap and expensive treadmill & is it worth the investment?

Options
What’s the difference from a cheap $200-$500 treadmill vs an expensive one? There seems to be some pretty well rated treadmills that are super affordable, like $250 Aus etc. what’s the point of an expensive one if you can get one for so cheap? Any recommendations for a treadmill for home use and has having a treadmill helped you get more cardio in or is it unnecessary? I feel as though after my 1 hour workout in the morning, if I was watching tv I would end up walking on it and running that afternoon/night after work. which would result in way more calories burned per day. Has this been the case for you? Thanks in advance

Replies

• bbbbb11223344
    bbbbb11223344 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a mini stepper so would this burn as many calories whilst taking way less room in the house, or not even close to as many you can on a treadmill?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I bought one for my sister 3 years ago. She was considerably overweight and this was what we found.. the more expensive machines could hold more weight, more heavy duty motor.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Spend the money and you won't regret it. Have 10yo nordic track and it still going w/o any issues.

Well ok.. one issue.. getting motivated to use it. (Not really...it's been used a lot since I started mfp last November). 😁
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I like to work out, so I am biased on this topic. For equipment for me, comfort, performance, quality, and durability are very important. I don’t want to have to fight the machine when I work out. So I opt for higher-priced equipment that I perceive as better quality.

I have a 11-12 yr old Life Fitness home model treadmill. It feels like a commercial model when I use it. It still feels the same today—sturdiness, belt, motor, etc—as it did the first day I turned it on. I have gone through periods (Like now) where I haven’t been able to use it for sometimes 6-8 months (injuries). Yet I know it’s always there, ready to go. I should probably get it tuned up, but I have not spent any $$ maintaining it. There have been times when it was used daily by me, my wife, and my stepdaughter w/no issues.

So those are my priorities. I have also spoken to others who bought a $500 department store treadmill and were perfectly happy with it.

There are differences between a cheap treadmill and a more expensive one. Like anything else you buy, you have to decide if those differences are meaningful for you.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely buy used. I just checked Craigslist in my city and saw over 400 for sale. Many are " nearly new". I'm sure Facebook marketplace, Nextdoor, etc would have the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if some people would even give them away free (or almost free) as part of their tidying-up magic.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My husband has set up an exercise room and uses his elliptical almost daily doing any where from 8-16 miles each evening watching tv. He feels guilty watching tv not working out. This has worked great for him as his busy schedule makes working out at home convenient. We have splurged for a life fitness eliptical that will actually charge your phone while you pump and uses no electricity. We bought 7 years ago. Our other elliptical lasted over 10 years, we decided to not move it across the country. I use on occasion preferring to go to gym for group fitness and using on demand videos.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your situation. If you are using a treadmill to run, and/or plan to use it frequently, you want a quality machine. If you are using it to walk a few times a week, a cheap one is probably fine. Also take into consideration whether other people will be using it, or if it’s just you. And, of course, consider how much you want to spend.

A more expensive treadmill (assuming expense equals quality) will feel more comfortable to use. You can tell the difference between a harder deck and one that is more cushioned. And while it may not make much difference to a person walking 6 miles a week, it will make a huge difference to someone running 30 miles a week or more. It will also last longer, so you don’t have to buy a new one in a year or two (Or replace the belt or the motor just to keep it running.) A higher price will also get you more bells and whistles, if you are into things like user profiles or a built in fan or television.

My first treadmill cost about $300 US. My second (current) one cost about $1800. For me, it was worth the money to upgrade. And if I had to do it again, I would have bought it sooner. When the time comes for my next treadmill, I may even get a a better one than I have right now.

But that doesn’t mean it will be the same for you. That’s why there are so many options on the market.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I started my whole “journey” when bought the least expensive Proform treadmill at Sears. I think it was $500 plus extended warranty, plus tax.

The machine is ... compact. The belt is narrow and short (compared to other models), the motor is not very strong, there’s not much in the way of suspension or stability, and the speed & incline adjustment buttons only have even numbers.

I am small framed and short so the belt size isn’t a huge issue for me. Someone taller than 5’4” or longer legs or broader would find it difficult to use.

The motor sounds about like a jet engine, and there’s not much in the way of cushioning for the belt (or the machine) so using it is an extremely noisy endeavor. Not a big issue for me now, but if I were in an apartment/condo/townhouse and/or I were using it when others were trying to sleep, or I wanted to watch TV (without closed captioning), it wouldn’t work.

I blew the motor in it after 3 (I think?) years. It was replaced under the extended warranty (but would have cost more than I paid for the treadmill to do otherwise).

I’ve run thousands of miles on that treadmill. It has served me well. Last summer I ended up running 17 miles of a 21 mile long run on that TM because of severe storms. It hasn’t been the same since (I’m not sure I have either lol). It smells funny, the motor seems...tired. I am fairly certain it will see its last days soon.

When that happens, I will be upgrading considerably to something a bit larger, something quieter, something with better controls, and something with a more stable ride.

I obviously am committed to using it at this point - my friends joked that they had never heard of a treadmill that broke from being used too much. I’m comfortable making the investment and it makes sense for me. I’ve also upgraded quite a bit of my other gym equipment over the years and it’s made a world of difference in my workout experience.

All that said-if I were starting again, or I was planning to buy it to “motivate” me to use it, or I didn’t know if I would like it or stick with it-I would probably go with a cheap model again. I would not go less than $500 (US).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have owned two mid-level NordicTrack TMs - about $1000 each. The current one is wider and has a longer belt, so I don't feel as constricted in my running. It has a negative incline, which is good for training for downhill races (I bought it before Boston) and includes total elevation gain in the workouts so is useful when training for hilly races as well. It has a more powerful motor, so will last longer than a cheaper TM. For me, spending more money was worth it because I am fairly serious about my training. I run 5 days a week, about 35-40 mpw average. With the TM I have no excuse to miss a workout because it's hot and humid (i.e. this week the feels like temp is over 100 degrees) or because there's snow and ice on the road in the winter, or it's dark when I want to run. I've done runs of 20 miles on the TM. I definitely prefer to run outside, but have learned that running on the TM is better than not running at all, and really isn't that bad once you build up to longer runs. If your weather is such that you don't have a problem running outside year around or if your schedule allows plenty of time to get your runs in, then you may not need a TM. If you have a good gym nearby that you enjoy using, then you might not need a TM. For me, it would be a half hour drive to a decent gym, assuming it doesn't close like all the others around here, so I wouldn't use it at all regularly. The TM is there whenever I need it.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    When I bought my treadmill 3 years ago, I did extensive trying out of different brands and models and ended up with the NordicTrack Commercial 2950, which was more than twice what I'd intended to spend. It's definitely one of those you get what you pay for situations. As I see it, here are the main issues (there are many others depending on how in the weeds you want to get, but these are the main ones):
    • track width - very important if you're a larger person. Treadmills with wide tracks cost more
    • track cushioning - a lot more comfortable for longer walks/runs if it has better cushioning, but you pay for it
    • sturdiness - I tried to get past this with the cheaper models, but cheaper treadmills do not feel sturdy. If you spend more money, you get something much more solid and slab-like
    • heavier duty motor - depending on your weight, this is a must. Even if you're not obese, a heavy duty motor will be quieter, more reliable, and last longer

In retrospect, the only thing I think is a useless feature for a higher end treadmill is the entertainment module. You pay a LOT for a TV/touchscreen and its maps and apps and various gizmos, but they don't provide much value if you already have a tablet. Often there is a model without all the entertainment gizmos for $500+ less, and that money could easily fund a really nice tablet with $$hundreds left over.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What was most important to me when I purchased my treadmill was how it "felt". I spent about two hours in the store trying out different models - not looking at the prices. I wanted something sturdy, solid, not too "cushiony", not a loud motor, and smooth transitions between inclines and speeds, among other things. There were some features that were not important to me - like a built-in fan and headphones hookup.

I ended up with something I LOVE, and I use it almost everyday - have had it about a year now.

My point is: I think it is very important to be able to test out several models before making a purchase. What may work well for one person may not be so great for another - the whole point of a treadmill is to USE IT!!!! So in my mind, I was willing to pay $2,500 for one that I knew would last a long, long time and actually be a joy to use.