Mountain Bikes UK?

Options
mitch239
mitch239 Posts: 77 Member
edited August 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Heya everyone. So I am interested in buying a mountain bike to get out and about with, I have set a budget of about £200 - £220 preferably lower but not set in stone. Reason being I don't want to go out and spend crazy amount then not keep up with it. I loved it as a kid so suspect I'll love it now I've got my own car and can venture a little more.
I'm taller than 6" so will need to get a larger bike.
Any recommendations on bikes and places to buy? I've not bought a bike in....pfft yeah, years.
(Also apologies if this is in the wrong place.)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With that budget I would look on Gumtree for secondhand bikes.
  • ChapDogOnaBike
    ChapDogOnaBike Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    G’day Mitch - I’m guessing from the currency that ur in the UK - I’m a keen mountain biker & if I could offer some advice it would be to up ur price - essentially anything second hand at that price will have worn to very worn componentry - in car terms a sloppy gear box, wobble in the steering - u get the picture. If it’s new or fairly new for that price it’s at the not for off road use end of the scale ie has the look but will be hazardous to your health ok the tracks.
    It does depend on what type of tracks ur looking to ride BUT if u part with a few extra dollars & u like it you’ll grow into what the bike can do - if u don’t like it & it’s a decent bike you’ll pretty much get ur money back on it!
    Bottom line the better the bike the greater chance to build your skills & enjoyment - the less capable the bike the harder it is to ride the tracks that are out there & the greater the chance of not getting to enjoy what the sport has to offer!
    I’m 63 still riding single track grade 3 to 5 & looking to build skills ! Get a bike & get out there! Happy trails
  • mitch239
    Options
    G’day Mitch - I’m guessing from the currency that ur in the UK - I’m a keen mountain biker & if I could offer some advice it would be to up ur price - essentially anything second hand at that price will have worn to very worn componentry - in car terms a sloppy gear box, wobble in the steering - u get the picture. If it’s new or fairly new for that price it’s at the not for off road use end of the scale ie has the look but will be hazardous to your health ok the tracks.
    It does depend on what type of tracks ur looking to ride BUT if u part with a few extra dollars & u like it you’ll grow into what the bike can do - if u don’t like it & it’s a decent bike you’ll pretty much get ur money back on it!
    Bottom line the better the bike the greater chance to build your skills & enjoyment - the less capable the bike the harder it is to ride the tracks that are out there & the greater the chance of not getting to enjoy what the sport has to offer!
    I’m 63 still riding single track grade 3 to 5 & looking to build skills ! Get a bike & get out there! Happy trails

I'm just looking for a bike to ride. A little road, little off road, like dirt tracks no hill riding.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You’ll be doing well to get a decent entry level bike for that money - even second hand. Most makers do an entry level bike new for around the £600 mark - check the specs on these and try to match them on gumtree. Some employers do a cycle to work scheme which is a good enough deal
  • mitch239
    Options
    madmickie wrote: »
    You’ll be doing well to get a decent entry level bike for that money - even second hand. Most makers do an entry level bike new for around the £600 mark - check the specs on these and try to match them on gumtree. Some employers do a cycle to work scheme which is a good enough deal

Thanks. I've had a look any my company doesn't do that, however I'll keep an eye out on gumtree. One will pop up sooner or later.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    There will likely be a number that show up around Christmas and the New Year, along with a number of other bikes. People getting new bikes and wanting to sell their old ones.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @mitch239 I was in the same boat everyone told me the same as above so I ignored them and persevered. I just bought a second hand Boardman hybrid for the money you are talking about from eBay and having taken it to the bike shop for a service they confirmed it had done very few miles as the listing said. My advice would be;

- be patient; there are many bikes out there, don't take one you don't feel comfortable with, the right one will come along
    - be prepared to travel; it might be 30 miles away but the right bike is worth the trip
    - don't be discouraged; I had to walk away from quite a few that were not as described
    - don't buy from an unofficial trader (selling multiple bikes but no premises or come back for you if faulty); they know the value and won't undersell and you get nothing extra.
    - decide what you want; if you are going to do any trails then you need a mountain bike, if it is nearly all tarmac even if rough in places, consider a hybrid or city bike
    - check any bike you are going to buy against the National cycle database to ensure it isn't stolen
    - avoid bikes with "all new parts", many come from stolen bikes
    - don't be afraid to take a potential purchase to a bike shop for a check; £20 well invested
    - if you are interested in a model try and find an example locally to check the frame size works for you. Probably around 20"-21" depending on your leg length but each can differ based on seat position, etc.

The mid range bikes that you occasionally find in that price are Boardman (obviously), Cannondale (rarely but I would pay more for one), FB, and B'twin (check the models as some have much better components than others). I did follow a couple of BMC bikes but these generally went for 400+. There are others of course. Definitely do not buy a cheap brand new bike - they are generally absolute pants in structure, component quality and build - you will not enjoy the ride and it will start gathering dust.

As one poster above said if it is a mountain bike you don't want an old or high miler as the components do wear.

One of the things I do agree with is spend a little bit more for the better spec - the better the bike the more you will actually use it making it better value for money.

Cheers!
  • unicorngems
    unicorngems Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @loriengordon one for you!