Best tips for potlucks please

I'm looking at my social calendar for the next 3 weeks. It is full of potlucks and "bring a hearty appetizer and a bottle to share".

The good news is that I get to bring a "healthier, lower cal" dish.

I could use your best tips for keeping my eating under control at these types of events.

TIA

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Bring a veggie platter and a low cal dip.

I’ve done that and am surprised at how fast it disappears.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I like to look at everything available first and then decide what I REALLY want to eat. Small portions of good food is what I prefer.

I do this too. If everything is set up on one table, I will go and pick up a few raw veggies and take a good look at what else is on the table. By the time the veggies have been eaten, I will have a plan in place with a good idea how many calories I will be eating so I can go back and get the rest of the food.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    7 layer dip is my go to hearty appetizer, and it's easy to make in a disposable chafing dish or baking pan so you don't even have to remember to bring anything home...

1 can refried beans
    1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
    guacamole or avocado (1 or 2 depending on size)
    1 jar salsa (I like the chunky garden salsa but anything will do)
    1 sour cream (16 oz)
    1 shredded cheese (any will do but taco or cheddar are my favorite)
    1 can sliced black olives (small can)
    1 tomato diced

layer it in that order in the dish, and grab a bag of corn chips, it's cheap, easy, delicious, healthy, and portable
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    7 layer dip is my go to hearty appetizer, and it's easy to make in a disposable chafing dish or baking pan so you don't even have to remember to bring anything home...

1 can refried beans
    1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
    guacamole or avocado (1 or 2 depending on size)
    1 jar salsa (I like the chunky garden salsa but anything will do)
    1 sour cream (16 oz)
    1 shredded cheese (any will do but taco or cheddar are my favorite)
    1 can sliced black olives (small can)
    1 tomato diced

layer it in that order in the dish, and grab a bag of corn chips, it's cheap, easy, delicious, healthy, and portable

Thanks for the recipe - I needed something to make for this weekend!

(And I love your user name, rarely see someone who has read those!)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    In addition to the one-through with no heaping strategy suggested earlier, at these types of events I try to sit or hang out as far from the buffet table as possible so that I'm not tempted to simply graze mindlessly.

I also make sure to bring some iced tea or diet soda as part of my beverage contribution because the alcohol calories can add up pretty fast at these kinds of affairs, too.
  • janepotter2
    janepotter2 Posts: 2 Member
    I'd suggest eat a largish low cal meal an hour or so before you go so you feel quite full and then just have teaspoon size portions of what you fancy at the supper to taste it all and be sociable. For your own contribution, take something tasty which can be cut into small pieces so people can have as much or little as they want.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,552 Member
    In addition to the one-through with no heaping strategy suggested earlier, at these types of events I try to sit or hang out as far from the buffet table as possible so that I'm not tempted to simply graze mindlessly.

I also make sure to bring some iced tea or diet soda as part of my beverage contribution because the alcohol calories can add up pretty fast at these kinds of affairs, too.

This is so important, I know if I stay talking around the food I'll start grabbing food I really don't want.
  • badenglishmajor
    badenglishmajor Posts: 11 Member
    I do two things.

First, I bring something low cal and healthy. There are a ton of recipes on Pinterest.

Second, I eat before I go. I make a small, healthy snack that's high in protein so I'm not hungry when I arrive. This helps me stave off cravings and if I am going to eat, I don't have as much.

Best of luck. Potlucks are tricky!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Theres lots of options.

Take very very small helpings and stop when youre just barely contentedly full (wait for it to settle).

Bring a casserole and only eat yours.

Try to log everything as you eat it and stop when you get to your planned amount.

Eat before you go and just nibble a little bit while youre there.

Potlucks are hard. Try to stah away from the mundane chips and things. If youre gonna go over by accident, do it on the interesting stuff that you cant have everyday!
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    My strategy for parties is I only eat the dishes I brought. That way I know what is in it, it's good for my diet, and I can easily log it into my counter. That rule also keeps me from being tempted to eat something I shouldn't.

Other times I tell myself to stick to protein and veggies. You can't stray too much when that is your focus.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Eat a kilogram of mixed vegetables 15 minutes before leaving home. Not the inexpensive corn/peas/carrots but those half a dozen vegetables variety packs.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I pass on parties and eating events when I'm trying to lose weight. I would be miserable at a pot luck with all sorts of food I couldn't eat or I'd eat too much of..

But, if you want to go... I'd eat super light all day and exercise..then bring a few low calorie dishes that you can eat so you have something.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    *Charcuterie platter
    *Antipasto platter
    * Giant wheel of baked brie and walnut toppings with apples ( dietary substitute) .
    * Fruit platter
    *A platter filled with things you'd want to eat.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    I eat it all.
    Not a strategy of any kind, just utterly lacking in self control and terrified I'll miss out on any of the food.
    Best for me to just stay away, but I don't.
  • amwiggler
    amwiggler Posts: 428 Member
    I am a recent convert from ‘eat healthy before you go’ to ‘go hungry.’ For me, if I eat healthy before I go, I still eat at the potluck. Now I go hungry, circle once to see what I actually want to eat, eat reasonable portions slowly enough to enjoy them and then socialize away from the table. I’m having significantly more success this way - I am one who will eat at the potluck even if I’m full. It may be very different for you if you have better resistance.