Can only buy 1 exercise machine for small home---need recommendations

Options
Hi! I want to purchase an exercise machine for indoor use. My bungalow is small and so is my budget. What do y'all recommend? What exercise machine would be best for weight loss? What specific machines (brands) do you like? What would you avoid buying? Help!

I am leaning towards an exercise bike, but I just am not certain.

Thanks!

Replies

• PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard a lot of great things about elliptical machines. I don’t personally own one though.
  • MoKaaz
    MoKaaz Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I personally own an Elliptical Machine and would highly recommend it. I know the average price since it varies quite a bit, but the machine is a full body work out. If you want to get strong and if you can afford it get some smaller individual weights for strength training aswell.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    It's up to whatever you like. Also, your budget. Personally, I like machines that don't have motors -- less to go wrong. Also, tend to have higher resale values. Echo Rogue Bike, Concept2 Rower, SkiErg (very little room but wonderful machine but not many would really enjoy it), Spinning Bike (no motor), manual treadmill. Older models of AirBikes by Schwinn.

Only you know what you'll use. Everyone will put up THEIR favorite machines. See if you have a fitness store with a wide selection. Wear your workout clothes and try many of them. Think about it and go again. If you can picture yourself using the machine many times, then buy it.

Play it Again Sports has good quality equipment. G&G Fitness does too (East Coast based). Try to find a store that has great reviews and knowledgeable people. I used to like G&G (Gronk's family from the Patriots owned it) because most of their managers had MS in Exercise Physiology.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Bicycle or rowing machine if I was to ponder.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Jump rope, a couple of weights, yoga mat and a heavy boxing bag...
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting out by following Pop Sugar or Fitness Blender. These have lots of routines to help with overall fitness and weight loss. No equipment necessary.

Look at different training programs. MFP lists many in the stickies. Also I would look at a sport or activity of interest that can be performed outside (weather permitting). Choose a program that looks interesting/ challenging. Get equipment for that program.

If you choose lifting, you could invest in a landmine sleeve, olympic barbell and weights. You could also choose a body weight program like Nerd Fitness.

If you choose cardio, I would suggest a good foldable treadmill and follow c2k =Couch to 5k. The treadmill can act as a personal trainer.

Challenge, progression and logging are key for me to sticking with a program and improving fitness.

Of course all this is mainly for fitness. Diet is mainly for fat loss and that in itself can be a training exercise incorporating a different kind of challenge, progression and logging.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My Concept 2 rower will fit in a 3x9 ft space and can be stored upright if needed. My LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike takes up about a 3x4ft space. Both cost about $1k. I haven't ridden the spin bike since I got the rower. I row 5k meters in about 40 mins burning about 280 cals daily.

A rower will give you a full body workout and makes use of almost every muscle in your body. A treadmill anf spin bike only works you legs/lower body.

An elliptical w/moving arms will make use of most muscles in your body but in a different way than a rower. W/o moving arms, an ellipical is essentially the same as a treadmill or spin bike in terms of the muscles used, given that each use those muscles differently based on the design/operation of those machines.

While there are many good quality and affordable rowers and spin bikes available for home use, a treadmill and elliptical of sufficient quality would probably be too large and costly for home use.

Each machine will provide you with good cardiovascular exercise if used properly. I prefer the rower and elliptical over a treadmill or spin bike. These are just my personal preferences. Yours will probably differ.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have a spin bike and free weights, bench, dumbbells. The bike is excellent for cardio
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    A pair of running shoes. Get outside and have fun. :D

BTW - No exercise machine is best for weight loss. You can gain a few extra calories but you won't lose much if you don't change your diet. Eat for weight loss, exercise for health and happiness. Find something you enjoy.

Good luck.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There is no "best" exercise for weight loss. If you are following MFP's calorie goal, then you eat back your exercise calories. The only thing exercise should be doing for your weight loss is allowing you to eat more.

You should determine the "best" exercise by your goals and interests. If you have specific fitness goals, then your exercise needs to be tailored to them. An exercise plan is also useless if you aren't interested in sticking with it. I've seen many, many well-intentioned relatives buy expensive equipment, use it for a few months, and then shove it in a corner.

If you don't know what you would enjoy, then I would recommend joining a gym so you can spend several months trying out equipment before you commit to buying something. This would also mean you don't have to store any equipment at home.

I would also suggest trying activities that require minimal equipment. If you can run outdoors, then you don't need to buy anything beyond shoes and perhaps a sports bra. A bicycle takes up little space compared to most exercise machines. Exercise videos only need enough space for you to do the movements comfortably.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and a rower, and really don't use either. I also have a Rubbermaid kitchen step. Not necessarily a machine, but I can do a lot of step and step-kickboxing routines with it. It is very small and affordable. It takes up a lot less space than a regular stepper, and it can also be used for it's original intended purpose (or as a step for my puppy to get on the couch😉). Bonus! If you find step aerobics enjoyable, you might like it.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I had a nordic track and it was never used (but did not test prior to buying); I now have an elliptical at home that I use when I can't get to the gym. Highly recommend what others say about going to stores and trying out different machines (or a gym pass to help narrow down type of equipment). I have tried several different ellipticals at different gyms and they all have had very different feels to them. I also like spin bikes for low impact cardio and recently tried a peloton at a hotel gym (that is going to be on the pricey side), but there are other highly rated spin bikes out there. Tread mills still scare me and rowers are great but I have a hard time finding the right pace to use them for an extended period of time, so personal preference is likely going to play a big role!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have several. In general, it needs to be something you'll use. If you are going to spend money on it, make sure you get a lifetime warranty.

There is no need to have a piece of machinery to exercise with if you'll just get up and walk around, and do some zero-equipment calisthenics and such.
  • LovliestDay
    LovliestDay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! Y'all have convinced me to make certain to try a variety of machines before purchasing one. 💙
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If your budget is small, try checking out Craigslist for people getting rid of old machines, and ask around. I got my exercise bike for free from someone who was going to throw it out, and I got most of my free weights at garage sales.

The best machine for weight loss is the one you will use regularly. For me, that’s a pair of running shoes, and the bike helps when the weather is bad. A lot goes into this - are you prone to injury? Do you like to run or row? I find that my bike has been a godsend when my knee was injured and I wasn’t able to run, even though in most circumstances a treadmill would be more useful for me.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Why not get a gym membership?