Can not eating enough make you gain weight?

Options
Listen I know this sounds like a stupid question but I've been going pretty low under the amount of calories I consume in a day... and wondering if that's even healthy at all?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Calorie allotment?

Do you weigh your foods so you're sure about your calorie count?
  • Juliettemarie11
    Juliettemarie11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well I'm always around 700 or sometimes more under my calorie limit for the day. I just need to write up a higher calorie meal for dinner maybe.. I don't feel like I'm losing energy or have any symptoms of malnutrition.. but now I know it is unhealthy.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What did mfp set for your calories?

Age, height, starting weight, current weight, goal weight?

When you started mfp, did you read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum?
  • Juliettemarie11
    Juliettemarie11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Listen I know this sounds like a stupid question but I've been going pretty low under the amount of calories I consume in a day... and wondering if that's even healthy at all?

Gain weight? No. Healthy? No. Calories are a unit of energy...your body needs energy just to be alive an perform basic functions. Eating too few calories can have major consequences down the line...symptoms of mal-nourishment don't happen right away...but when they show up, it's too late.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well I'm always around 700 or sometimes more under my calorie limit for the day. I just need to write up a higher calorie meal for dinner maybe.. I don't feel like I'm losing energy or have any symptoms of malnutrition.. but now I know it is unhealthy.

Hair loss is one sign of malnutrition that won't show up for MONTHS after the fact.

Yes, seems to be about 6 months after the fact, from what others have been posting over the years.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    xaosai wrote: »
    After fasting for 3 days, your body lowers your metabolism to prevent weight loss.

wut
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    xaosai wrote: »
    After fasting for 3 days, your body lowers your metabolism to prevent weight loss.

Can you explain this please @xaosai?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Severely restricting calories often results in much less non-exercise activity, resulting in fewer calories being burned. Weight gain won't happen in this scenario but rate of loss can be slowed (along with pretty bad health effects).