yellowish palms and bottom of feet..

Options
hello!
I was wondering if anyone knew what this meant?? I have noticed for about 2 months now that the palms of my hands are slightly yellow and the soles of my feet are too. Any feedback would be nice!:)

Replies

• wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... a Google search brought up lots of things it could be, so you should probably ask your doctor to rule out anything serious. That being said, my sister's palms turn orange because she eats sweet potatoes so often. I know carrots can do this as well.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    Carotenemia? Do you eat a lot of naturally orange foods? Carrots? Sweet Potatoes? Squash? If you do, than it's normal and harmless. However, if you don't go to the doctor. It's unlikely but is sometimes related to renal disease or diabetes. But it's most likely the baby carrots you probably munch on.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    That often happens if you eat a lot of veg with carotinoids, like carrots, tomatoes etc. As it's mainly your hands and feet and if you eat a lot of veg this is probably what it is, particularly if you have a light complexion. It is more common in vegetarians. If you're worried see your doctor.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Could be Gilbert Syndrome? It's a condition that hits about 50% of the World's population (including me). In short it's too much bile in the blood stream (a form of jaundice). It has no side effects, no complications, gives no problems, apart from the general yellowish tint of your body and hands.
    Or you have been eating too many carrots and apricots (carotene-filled food)?
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    Hahaha, that happened to my boys when I fed them tons of carrots when they were babies. Check out your eating: many carrots and tomatoes?! Could be the reason :-)))
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton for all the great suggestions! Actually, I hardly eat ANY orange veggies and fruit at all. Although lately I have been eating many more tomatoes than normal so I bet thats it! Red tomatoes can turn my hands yellow?? Its not even very noticeable...I'm just interested in whats up with my body. I will probably have my doctor check it out next time I in the office.
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    anymore feed back??:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories do you eat in a day?
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    1,400-1,500 depending on how much i exercise that day. I always eat my exercise calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Fungus?
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    i highly doubt that. its like a tint to my actual skin color
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    you may want to see a dr and get your liver function tested.....yellow skin discolouration is often caused by liver issues
  • psuLemon
    Options
    you may want to see a dr and get your liver function tested.....yellow skin discolouration is often caused by liver issues

I agree with this. I was thinking malnutrition at first, but if you are eating 1400 calories plus your exercise calories, than you are definitely eating right.
  • JenFerguson1
    Options

I agree with this. I was thinking malnutrition at first, but if you are eating 1400 calories plus your exercise calories, than you are definitely eating right.

I dont eat 1,400 PLUS my exercise calories. I eat a total of 1,400-1,500 a day.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Have you had your glucose checked lately? I had that when I had gestational diabetes
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Thanks a ton for all the great suggestions! Actually, I hardly eat ANY orange veggies and fruit at all. Although lately I have been eating many more tomatoes than normal so I bet thats it! Red tomatoes can turn my hands yellow?? Its not even very noticeable...I'm just interested in whats up with my body. I will probably have my doctor check it out next time I in the office.
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Are you yellow or orange any where else? Like the whites of your eyes? Any other symptoms, such as fatigue, nausea or abdominal bloating? If you have any of the above symptoms you should see your doctor as soon as possible as it may involve your liver...
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    its just my hands and feet. No other places on my body are discolored. I ill get it checked out asap. thanks!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Could be thyroid issues, could get it checked out just in case.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I dont eat 1,400 PLUS my exercise calories. I eat a total of 1,400-1,500 a day.

Well then I might go back to my original theory. If you are exercising a lot (say you burn 800 calories a workout) then it's like eating 700 calories a day. How much do you workout? What type of workouts do you do?