Excess protein stored as fat??

Options
I was told today that even if you are within your daily calorie limit if you don’t use the protein you eat it will be stored as fat. Is this true?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just a friend. I was incredibly dubious which is why I thought I’d ask here.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sorry just reread, no of course it won't if you're within your daily allowance. The amino acids will just be broken down to provide energy.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    even if that was true, you need like 0.8 gram protein for one kg of body weight just to sustain yourself while doing nothing much.
  • meggs9605
    meggs9605 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No.

I’m just curious, but who told you that? More importantly, unless it was a doctor with a nutrition speciality, what would lead you to pay it any attention!

It typically stems from the assumption that your body can only process so much protein per meal. I think they say like 25-30 grams anything more isn't used. Comes from the bodybuilding community.

I have heard/ read similar things from carb restrictive groups. Basically, that additional protein beyond what your body can process at any 1 time gets converted to glycogen, aka sugar. So excess protein will make you a "sugar burner" as opposed to a "fat burner." Or something like that. 🤷‍♀️
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I was told today that even if you are within your daily calorie limit if you don’t use the protein you eat it will be stored as fat. Is this true?

No...calories (energy) in excess of what your body needs are stored as fat (energy stores).
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    meggs9605 wrote: »
    No.

I’m just curious, but who told you that? More importantly, unless it was a doctor with a nutrition speciality, what would lead you to pay it any attention!

It typically stems from the assumption that your body can only process so much protein per meal. I think they say like 25-30 grams anything more isn't used. Comes from the bodybuilding community.

I have heard/ read similar things from carb restrictive groups. Basically, that additional protein beyond what your body can process at any 1 time gets converted to glycogen, aka sugar. So excess protein will make you a "sugar burner" as opposed to a "fat burner." Or something like that. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah it's not true though, it's just bro science ;)
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Comes from the bodybuilding community.

Just...no. It comes from a lot of misguided people. Blaming it on the "bodybuilding community" is irresponsible, at best.

There is a lot of data regarding protein dosage, timing, muscle-protein synthesis, etc. Interesting research. But for the most part, unless you're a peak athlete it's largely irrelevant.

Hitting your protein intake daily is considered crucial, regardless of your goal (weight gain or loss) as it is the key component to muscle growth and retention.

The idea it's "stored as fat" is garbage. Calories in, calories out.