Tablespoon of olive oil

Hello everyone
I got really confused about using tablespoons as measurements of olive oil, cuz it says 1TBS equals 120cal but that's is where the problem is because it calculates one tablespoon as 15ml but when i measured how much volume it equals 5ml.
It doesn't make sense really that liquids equals 15ml in tablespoons cuz when i tried it with rice it was 13g and rice has more quantity than oil

So what should i use, millilitres or tablespoons?

Thank you

Replies

• ceastabrook
    ceastabrook Posts: 13 Member
    5ml is a teaspoon, are you getting them mixed up? 15ml is a tablespoon. Liquids weigh different to powders or solids and 1ml water = 1g.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    5ml is a teaspoon, are you getting them mixed up? 15ml is a tablespoon. Liquids weigh different to powders or solids and 1ml water = 1g.

U r right, but when i used the scale to do that it only shows 5ml. Was putting salads plate on scale then i hit trade then used 1tbs of olive oil and it became 5ml
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I just use my measuring spoons for my oils and dressings. It's easier, less messy and works.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    1 tablespoon of oil = 14 grams.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »

U r right, but when i used the scale to do that it only shows 5ml. Was putting salads plate on scale then i hit trade then used 1tbs of olive oil and it became 5ml

A scale cannot measure ml, any more than it can measure metres.

When your scale claims to measure in ml, what it is actually doing is weighing in grams and assuming that 1g=1ml. Which it isn't. 1g is only 1ml for water. Oils are lighter than water; that's why they float on the top.

So, as per usual advice: if you're measuring your oils by volume, use a volume measurement from the database. If you're weighing your oils, use a weight measurement from the database. And don't weigh your oils using a volume measurement, because what the holy Hell, scale manufacturers ?!?!?!

This. Using a scale to measure ml only works if you are weighing water or something the same weight as water. You would need to find a reputable entry that has oil in grams and use that, or measure it in a marked measuring spoon.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

When your scale claims to measure in ml, what it is actually doing is weighing in grams and assuming that 1g=1ml. Which it isn't. 1g is only 1ml for water. Oils are lighter than water; that's why they float on the top.

So, as per usual advice: if you're measuring your oils by volume, use a volume measurement from the database. If you're weighing your oils, use a weight measurement from the database. And don't weigh your oils using a volume measurement, because what the holy Hell, scale manufacturers ?!?!?!

This. Using a scale to measure ml only works if you are weighing water or something the same weight as water. You would need to find a reputable entry that has oil in grams and use that, or measure it in a marked measuring spoon.

A solid entry should be 14 grams at 123 or 124 calories. The difference is that a tablespoon is 13.5 grams for 120 calories not 14 grams.

I always measure in grams when I can.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I just use my measuring spoons for my oils and dressings. It's easier, less messy and works.

To solve this problem put the bottle on the scale. Weigh it. Pour dressing. Weigh the bottle again. The difference is the weight of what you used.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

To solve this problem put the bottle on the scale. Weigh it. Pour dressing. Weigh the bottle again. The difference is the weight of what you used.

It's my personal choice to not do this kind of weighing. So far, my spoons have been working for me, but thanks for the suggestion. ☺
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I believe in logging everything that I eat but it never ceases to amaze me how far some people on MFP will go to measure what they eat in order to log it.

I believe that "close enough is good enough" but to each their own.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

It sounds like you're using a teaspoon, not a tablespoon. Is the spoon you're using a measuring spoon, or just part of a place setting?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Yes, but the difference in density is not three-to-one. On a scale that pretends to measure volume, a tablespoon of oil would register as 14 ml instead of 15 ml (not 5 ml).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2019
    Well, very nice set of spoons. they probably work great on fine powders like salt and flour.

First of all, a tablespoon is not 15ml which is printed on the spoon. It 14.78.

Second, surface tension on oils and other liquids (which is more variable than you might think), makes a dog's breakfast out of your spoon measurement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Thank you all alot =)

1y3con8vt0sm.jpg
    The one on the right is what i been using, the calibrated ones on the left i got it today from the market.

Lesson learned: never measure oil on scale

🙏 thanks again

No, DO measure on a scale, just know that 14 g = 1 tablespoon.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Well, very nice set of spoons. they probably work great on fine powders like salt and flour.

First of all, a tablespoon is not 15ml which is printed on the spoon. It 14.78.

Second, surface tension on oils and other liquids (which is more variable than you might think), makes a dog's breakfast out of your spoon measurement.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you all alot =)

1y3con8vt0sm.jpg
    The one on the right is what i been using, the calibrated ones on the left i got it today from the market.

Lesson learned: never measure oil on scale

🙏 thanks again

No, DO measure on a scale, just know that 14 g = 1 tablespoon.

Check this out, i have put those spoons on trial and it kepts showing 9ml-10ml difference and i was using 15ml spoon.
    There is something wrong with that oil i guess maybe the scale was correct or not correct maybe the spoons were correct or not. 🙃

zujulws5iuyk.jpg