Eating 1250 calories is less ?

Options
I am 5 feet 4 inches, 35 year old and weigh 144 lbs. my goal is 130lbs and I am following 1250 calories per day. Just want to make sure if I am eating enough or it’s too less and hence unhealthy.

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 4 inches, 35 year old and weigh 144 lbs. my goal is 130lbs and I am following 1250 calories per day. Just want to make sure if I am eating enough or it’s too less and hence unhealthy.

It wouldn't be enough for me at all. I'm 53, 5'4", and lost weight eating an average of 1720 per day. Even if I wasn't working out, I could lose on a lot more than 1250.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

It wouldn't be enough for me at all. I'm 53, 5'4", and lost weight eating an average of 1720 per day. Even if I wasn't working out, I could lose on a lot more than 1250.

Same. I don’t work out very much at all, but I’m lightly active in my job. I’m 5’4”, 29 yrs old, and I lost about a .5 lb per week while I was eating 1800 calories a day. You don’t have much to lose, so you should pick a slow rate of loss to make sure you’re not losing muscle along with the fat.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    And both of the previous posts show how you have to do what's right for your body and experiment on what calorie goal works for you. I absolutely gain weight if I eat over 1600 calories.
    I am currently at home, so lightly active during the day (cleaning, laundry, errands, etc) plus I do 30-90 min of exercise most days (nothing too strenuous, just walking, yoga, etc). I am 54, 5'3", and 134 lbs (trying to get back to 120-125 lbs which is what I weighed 5 years ago).
  • rajikaurbajna
    rajikaurbajna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So when I adjust MFP for .5/ week with lightly active style, I get 1650 calories to eat. This number seems big....any thoughts? So far I customized MFP and went or 1350 from 1200
  • guitargirl55
    guitargirl55 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 2 inches, 26 years old and weigh 135 lbs (goal 125). I used to eat 1200, but I found that was too little for me. Now I eat 1350, which seems to be a good number for me to lose weight and not feel hungry so much. I don't think that eating 1250 for people as short as you or me is necessarily unhealthy short term. It is more that it is really difficult to maintain. I found myself cheating a lot because I was hungry.

Here is the calculator I used in case you would like to try it:

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=26&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=2&cpound=135&cheightmeter=180&ckg=65&cactivity=1.375&cmop=0&coutunit=c&cformula=m&cfatpct=20&printit=0&x=84&y=22

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    So when I adjust MFP for .5/ week with lightly active style, I get 1650 calories to eat. This number seems big....any thoughts? So far I customized MFP and went or 1350 from 1200

It looks like you changed yourself from sedentary to lightly active and changed your weight loss goal to .5 lbs/week?

Both of those will increase your calorie goal.

If you’re lightly active (not including exercise), and you’ve set yourself at .5 pounds/week-then that’s a good number to start with.